200T: Test drove today

Gez

Moderator & South Wales Rep
Just thought I'd let you all know how I got on with one today.

I've currently got a Mk3 200. Drove the 200T today to see what Renaultsport have done with it.

Well, where do I start?

Firstly, my impressions of 'auto' 'lost its heritage' 'small engine turbo' rubbish replies; ignore them.

The car completely blew me away, and just to clear up, I drove it for 1hr 30min and half a tank lol, the sales man was amazing, he was a Renaultsport nut! I managed to go into 3 figures mph lol.

The auto box is amazing! And coming from a manual man at heart, that's a huge compliment, the gear changes were awesome; very fast and sharp. In full auto and using the paddles. I tried 'RS Mode' and that was fun to with the car being louder with that pipe that comes into the cabin for more sound.

I also tried the 'launch control' OHHHHH, what a sound! and sooooo much fun!

Handling is sharp, not quite as harsh and as responsive as the Mk3 200 cup, but still very satisfying.

The car also didn't feel like it needed any better brakes either, the standard (non brembo 4 pot) sliding caliper were fine.

All in all, apart from the looks :tongueout: the car is fantastic and I'd suggests anyone to just at least drive it.

How much did the salesman pay you to type that.......

the gearbox changes although quick, take an age to react to a click of the paddle, the engine doesnt feel anywhere near as quick as i expected.

The handling is spot on though even in the wet when sliding round a roundabout, especially given how smooth it is in comparison to the harsh st ride

The sound, i thought just felt artificial and that wasnt with the gimmicky stuff switched on

Each to their own, no ones the same. I thought it was a good bit of kit.

although the 200 is stayin obv :wink:

Excellent write up mate, my 200T has just ticked over 12000miles and it gets better and better every time I drive it. First free service Monday :smile:

I, personally, just can not get past the 5 doors. I'm sure it's a great car, probably better than my 200 on a day to day basis. But it's a 5 door and its an immediate no from me because of that. Also there's the fact that there are better cars in the same class that cost less and have 3 doors.

Nooooope. Wasn't even considering buying one, just took it out for the sake of it. I was just shocked/surprised by the engine and box. You should know I haven't bought one with my comment "apart from its looks, it's a good car"

I think they're very odd looking and the fact it's 5 door

I, personally, just can not get past the 5 doors. I'm sure it's a great car, probably better than my 200 on a day to day basis. But it's a 5 door and its an immediate no from me because of that. Also there's the fact that there are better cars in the same class that cost less and have 3 doors.

one of the reasons I went to the st...

so because it has no Brembos and Recaros its no good?

The brakes on the 200T actually bring the car to a stop quicker than the 4 pot Brembos on the previous model

From a business point of view you would do this all day long as they cost less to put on the car, actually perform better and not have the problems thats the Brembos had in the past

As for the Recaros, yes they look nice but the Std seat is very suportive anyway. Its not just a case of 'whacking' some seats in. They have to re-tested with NCAP for safety and airbag deployment etc

Yes renault have moved on and yes i do miss my old car but the way some people talk its as if they will never swap there beloved 200 for anything other than a car with Brembos and Recaros

come to think of it what car has Brembos and Recaros as standard?

And just to add people will buy the new 200T for their own personal reasons

I wouldn't swap my 197 for a 200 or a 200T!!
My opinion obv but I would rather/have and I can see most other MKIII owners will move onto a Meg!

Edit: good review none the less for anyone wanting to look at one! (Hopefully they leave there glasses at home :wink: )

Last edited:
the 200t I have driven I never noticed or had an issue with the gearbox - so I cannot understand the poor press reviews unless its to do with the early production models...

it does take more then a short drive to actually get used too and appreciate the gearbox - I was in slow moving traffic the other day and actually thought to myself if I was in a 200t I would just leave it in auto and crawl along instead of going 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 1st 2nd 3rd 2nd 1st 2nd....

I will probably get destroyed for this but I have owned a 172,182,200 and now a 200T and the one that dissapointed me most was the 200. I just couldn't get along with it, haven't a clue why.

I will probably get destroyed for this but I have owned a 172,182,200 and now a 200T and the one that dissapointed me most was the 200. I just couldn't get along with it, haven't a clue why.

because you went r26 to a 200 hard act to follow the r26!!!!

Nice review matey :smile:

I also don't see the problem every one has with the gearbox. Its the best auto box ive ever driven and the includes mercedes which cant decide what gear it wants and the gear changes need a calendar to time compared to the 200T if id driven a Ferrari this may be a different story. Its just a mater of getting use to it as it total different to drive to a manual as you would expect.

Ive driven a 200T a few times now and every time i have, i have got more impressed with it every time.

I know you didnt get on with the 200 Rob cause of the R26 before. But having Driven a 230 V6 (Mates Car), 172 (Owned), 182 with Cup Packs x 2 (Mates Car), 182 Cup (Mates Car), 197 (Mates Car), 200 (Mates Car) i think the 200T is a more complete car. Dont get me wrong 1*2's were great in the twisty stuff and a barrel of laughs, but on a motorway or long trips i found them a bit tedious.

The 5 door does bother me a bit as i like a 3 door hatch, but i am getting use to that now tbh. Although i would rather have the V6 over any clio past or present lol

These threads are good to get peoples oppionins and my opion is this is best Renaultsport I have every owned and I've had a few including a meg 250 the meg had fantastic power and was a great car but I never felt as attched to the road in the meg as I do in a Clio so now I have the benefit of a turbo Clio which results in the perfect car. For me...

on top of that the interior I think is the best they have ever produced great seats and 5 of them touch screen sat nav and a decent stereo..

if anyone wants to come and have a go in mine I'm more than happy to change your view..