Test drove a GT86

Had a test drive in a dark grey GT86 on Saturday.

Posted this in a thread on Pistonheads but thought some of you might be interested.

I like it. Its a nice place to sit, good driving position. Nice and low. Wheel and seat are quite adjustable and even at 6' 8" I managed to get comfortable. The ride is better than 200s but not by much. Its just a little softer. The wheel is small and gives good feedback. Perhaps a little chunky for my liking. It doesn't feel as quick as the clio but considering the car I drove only had 75 miles on it, it may loosen up a little.

The sound isn't great. Something quite industrial about it a low revs and then at 4000 rpm the valve opens that lets sound into the cabin at your feet. The actual sound is ok after 4k but the delivery is weird and manufactured.

Back seats as already mentioned are not very usable. There is quite a lot of boot space with them folded down though. The car i drove had the optional leather and alcantara seats which are good. They felt similar to the Recaros in my car in terms of support.

Overall I was impressed with it. It reminded me a lot of my old DC2. I think the fake carbon dash and red and black detailing had a lot to do with it in the interior but there was something about the way it drove that reminded me of it as well!

I will be watching used prices with interest over the next year and will consider one to replace the 200. Not in any rush though as I do love the clio.

I've have read that the motoring press arent as blown away with it as was first thought.

Still a good looking car and no doubt once the aftermarket manufacturing design houses get their hands on them, they'll be very popular.

I've have read that the motoring press arent as blown away with it as was first thought.

Still a good looking car and no doubt once the aftermarket manufacturing design houses get their hands on them, they'll be very popular.

Quite a few have already got their hands on them in the US. I reckon their will be plenty of parts available to add a little extra power that would make it very good.

And something needs to be done about the sound!

There's a white one at my local Toyota dealers on display. Looks fantastic and it's rear wheel drive? Should be a blast on track! Just needs north of 250bhp to appeal to me.

Theres nothing that overly excites me about the car from what ive seen or read. If it wasnt for the RWD bit i think most people wouldnt care about "just another coupe".

I love the idea of these, but I couldn't see myself replacing the Clio with something else that would frustrate me with a lack of Torque. Once the Sti/TRD editions are out for the two models (BRZ/GT86) I think life will get interesting (as long as they're boosted). Also anyone who says it can't be done is WRONG. There's a firm in Europe (commissioned by Toyota I think) who have Super and Turbo charged one already!

*I still might book a test drive to have a play though lol

i drove the BRZ Subaru which is basically the same car, i liked the driving position and rear wheel drive but apart from that the brakes aren't nearly as good as the clio nor is the handling, once the STI version comes out it will be a different story :wink:

I love the idea of these, but I couldn't see myself replacing the Clio with something else that would frustrate me with a lack of Torque. Once the Sti/TRD editions are out for the two models (BRZ/GT86) I think life will get interesting (as long as they're boosted). Also anyone who says it can't be done is WRONG. There's a firm in Europe (commissioned by Toyota I think) who have Super and Turbo charged one already!

*I still might book a test drive to have a play though lol

The turbo and supercharged one is the Gazoo

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25703