Stripping rear calipers......?

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
So, I stripped and rebuilt my front calipers earlier this year including new piston seals etc but now the rears need doing, they are sticking quite badly and one of the pistons is very difficult to wind back in.

ive ordered the rebuild kit, but have no idea how they come apart, has anyone else? I'm guessing the pistons wind all the way out and then I can get at the seals?

I'm changing the cables at the same time, has anyone used the pagid cables that eurocarparts sell? They are currently only £11.52 each so I'm going to give them a try.

cheers

chris

Chris, I have just started using your guide for the front calipers.

I've just put up a similar thread relating to rear calipers, where did you purchase the rebuild kit from?

Ha ha ha, what are the chances of 2 threads starting on the same subject wishing a few minutes!

i got the rears from the same place as the fronts, part number BCK3843 £15.85 a side. Well, if nobody has done it before I'll do another guide, I can't see one in the how to section. Can't be any more difficult than the fronts!

Does anyone have a clue on this? I can't figure out how the piston comes out of the rear calipers. Anyone done it before?

I assume this is after I've wound it out as far as it will go? One of them is completely seized, I'll give it another go tomorrow in the vice. The other is wound all the way out and is now just spinning but not moving out anymore. I'll give the compressed air a try, see how it goes.

thanks for the above mate!

you don't need to unwind the piston, it's only for pushing them back that you need to wind them. Re-fit it to the car (just on the hose, not fully) and push the pedal until it pops out

you don't need to unwind the piston, it's only for pushing them back that you need to wind them. Re-fit it to the car (just on the hose, not fully) and push the pedal until it pops out

Why the hell didn't I think of that! lol

i assumed I needed to unwind them, I don't fully understand how they work to be honest. I'm sure i will once they are in pieces!

Im im not sure it will work on one of them, it's seized solid! I'll try and free it off first then put it back on and do the above.

thanks

Right, tried that, no luck. I plumbed them back in, bled them up and they just don't move at all. Even with the other lines clamped off I cannot get either of them to budge. May have to resort to new calipers at this rate. No wonder my rear brakes don't work!