Gearbox stripping

Stephenvenning

Gold Member
Picked up a box that needs a rebuild yesterday. I set about stripping it and have nearly got there. But the main gearshaft doesn't want to budge from one side of the gearbox. Anyone know anything about this, [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] I've seen you've stripped one before.

95437456-BF71-4126-BF6A-5959D23510AC_zpsfeiuf6zb.jpg

looking at that you have taken it apart wrong.....

those shafts should still be sat in the front half of the casing - you remove the back half that has the outside selectors in first leaving the shafts and selector forks
in position...have a look at my gearbox thread

Just had a look at your thread and they wouldn't come out the other way, something is holding them in. It's strange, looks like the bearing is stuck in the other side of the casing

your not getting it confused with the selector fork that needs to be turned as you pull the casing off are you?

I've manage to get all the selector assembly out and it still don't budge, strange one. I'll have another rethink tomorrow.

Yeah I've seen the final drive and reverse colum is lose as it has tapered roller bearings but the main shaft has sealed ones so may have just got stuck. Thanks mate.

no probs

if theres any weight on the shaft it could hold it in position as you say due to being a sealed bearing with large out race

as gearboxes go they are quite easy to take apart in to major components

Yeah, it's getting the synchros off that will be the pain, I've got a press and various pullers so should be do-able. This box I'm rebuilding has a munched sealed bearing in the photo and 3rd gear synchro has gone.

Yeah, it's getting the synchros off that will be the pain, I've got a press and various pullers so should be do-able. This box I'm rebuilding has a munched sealed bearing in the photo and 3rd gear synchro has gone.

yeh noticed the cage was broken on that

a few snap rings and some small pullers should get it apart

I have a parts schematic if you need anything