An evening stripping down and cleaning scuttle panel section

ashtons99

Gold Member
It was one of those moments when you try and clean bits and decide to strip the thing down completely. I ended up starting with the large black plastic panel and needed to remove wipers off spindles then all other plastic side pieces, suspension top covers and bits around bonnet hinge.

I couldn't believe how much muck was under there but satisfying to get it minted up.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386195392.266886.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386195392.266886.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 222
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386195424.198969.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386195424.198969.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 186
i did mine a few weeks back, mainly to check all the drains were not blocked. look the top mount covers off etc and cleaned everything same as you did.

I'm going to remove all 4 wheel arch liners too and clean under them as they hold a lot of muck in

I did mien the other day too, kept getting condensation on the inside of the window as the detain was blocked. Sorted now.

Ash any chance you could do a small little retard proof write up on what you did exactly to remove the wipers etc etc.

Want to do this the weekend.

just use mole grips and a rag to prevent damage to pull the wipers off. leave the nut on loose for something to push against and use some wd40

Jood job there Ashton and bloody hell this is a coincidence! I did mine today as well while my mechanic was sorting the damage of my car out. I usually do it once per 2-3 months, I give the top mounts a good blow/clean and then a little bit of spray grease on the bearing and unblock (if blocked) the drains. Here is the accumulated dirt only after 2-3 months. Post 234.

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showth...ovic-Evo-Oil-Catch-Tank-TPI-bolts-RC6s/page24

Very easy to remove the scuttle, you take the wiper nut covers off using a small flat screwdriver, 16 size spanner to undo the nuts, then the wipers are off (if stuck just pull down the string from one side while pulling off from the other. Make sure you mark their original place even though the dirt marks on the windscreen will be a giveaway unless your car has been just washed).

2 plastic clips each side of the scuttle, pull off the seal rubber and (this is important) start pulling up the scuttle starting from its lower side (closer to the engine). Pull up and towards you and you shouldn't find any resistance whatsoever. If you pull from the upper side first you'll probably end up snapping the clips (yes I did snap one the first time I was doing it and still haven't replaced it, I don't even know where to buy it from lol)

It's a 5 minute job at the longest really.

Last edited:
Reactions: papa
Thanks for the guide! I did this today, and discovered that it had never been cleaned out before. I have been transporting two large ponds around with me everywhere because both the drains were completely blocked... :s