Stripping her out

jakehewitt

North East Rep
Right, I am now overjoyed with now being on greenlight rather than Admiral for insurance who was £400 cheaper and no additional cost to mods that arnt massive engine upgrades so I'm going to take the leap to stripping her out, fitting new buckets, harnesses and a cage. This will all be done probably overtime next year but would like to know

what can come out and what can't?
Do i actually save a lot of weight?
How much difference does this make to the balance of the car, is it more twitchy?
The law on harnesses and the safe way to install them?

I'm not looking at cutting any corners as I want this done properly and safely :thumbup:

I think simoxmino did a thread about the weights.

The rear seats are 20kg so that will be a good starting point.

I think simoxmino did a thread about the weights.

The rear seats are 20kg so that will be a good starting point.

Yeah I seen that last night when I was searching, also the fronts are dead heavy so need to get shot of them. Just really looking for a base figure of what I can kinda aim for or if I can actually get some decent weight gone

I removed mine a little while back. I think I remember the Rear seats and isofix bar was about 26kg or about the same weight as 3/4 tank of petrol

it did feel slightly lighter when driving it

o find on the track when my tank gets lower the rear end gets a lot lighter and much less trail braking is required to pivot the car.

It des change the ballance of the car reducing weight at the back. Obviously reducing weight on the front is a lot harder or takes more commitment!

It depends on how far you intend on going.
the obvious bits are exactly that, being the seats and carpet etc, but you can go so much further.

my Trophy track car I got carried away with, all of the tar type sound deadening was removed, including in the roof and on the main bulkhead behind the dash and engine.
every little bracket, hook, seat fixing was cut off and ground down smooth...
you can take it as far as you wish it to be, you can easily stop at a stage where it can be put back to factory again, it all lies in how you want the car to be :wink:

I think a good stripped car but still remaining enjoyable everyday would be bucket front seats, removed rear seats/carpets etc and laying down a full rear k-Tec mat to keep it Looking neat. And a Oulton cage

That's plenty of weight saved whilst not getting sick of the car.

The oulton cage will just put all the lost weight back in the car for no real gain. They won't stiffen the car and can't mount harnesses from them

The oulton cage will just put all the lost weight back in the car for no real gain. They won't stiffen the car and can't mount harnesses from them
Have you got an oulton cage in? As I have with mine stripped out and I noticed the car was a lot more stiffer and felt more 'tight' on track. I didn't feel much more weight added either

when removing front seats, I believe the standard ones are 35kg each. Ones I replaced them with were 10kg. I've also removed any tar and foam and rear carpets. Also rear quarter panels and I did notice that it had been done! Go for it. You'll love it! Don't need a harness bar, just mount the harness to the floor using the existing 'seat bolt' threaded holes. I made some brackets. Let me know if you want a picture.

Dan

Have you got an oulton cage in? As I have with mine stripped out and I noticed the car was a lot more stiffer and felt more 'tight' on track. I didn't feel much more weight added either

when removing front seats, I believe the standard ones are 35kg each. Ones I replaced them with were 10kg. I've also removed any tar and foam and rear carpets. Also rear quarter panels and I did notice that it had been done! Go for it. You'll love it! Don't need a harness bar, just mount the harness to the floor using the existing 'seat bolt' threaded holes. I made some brackets. Let me know if you want a picture.

Dan

Yeah mate could you get me some pics please :smiley: you mean the rear seat holes? think this'll be my winter project then while she's sat about!

Last edited: