Stripping and cleaning read brakes...

So I was about to do this for the first time ever this evening, coming along nicely until I got the caliper off...check the photo below out...is there any point in even trying to remove these pads to grease them up? They seem stuck in anyway...guessing I need some new discs and pads?

2013-07-01174731_zpsbffbf6f7.jpg

They look like they've been in for a while! I'd be putting new ones in personally. How's the caliper piston?

Discs dead too do you think? I reckon these may well be the original pads and discs from new, the car is 3 in august with 19k on her.

IMAG1010_zpsc6e8210c.jpg

becareful here if you dont know what your doing....

new pads require the handbrake piston to be wind back

if not sure get a garage to do the job...

dont put copperslip on the mating face of the disc! just put it round the centre spogot of the disc - keep disc face clean to maintain a square wheel to hub contact

Disc looks good to me.

Those pads aren't as bad as what I removed from mine recently!

Sept 2011 car with 17k and the rear pads literally crumbled away from the backing plate and they needed chiselling out. Fronts were just as bad too.

Paint on the rear calipers was also bubbling in places which is pretty poor for a 2011 car IMO

Car drives 10x bette now the rear brakes aren't trailing and the pedal actually works and feels as it should!

I will be servicing/cleaning my brakes every few months as they're very easy to clog up.

Thanks guys, going to source some new oem pads and get a garage to fit them, so the discs look ok? Hope so, could do without the cost of new rear discs at the moment. Got it all back together, all seems fine.

You can get a winder tool from machine mart for about a tenner for the caliper

If you got that far yourself there no reason you can't do the job yourself.

Just clean the prisons wind them in, lube the handbrake leer with some gt85 or something, wind the piston out with th handbrake lever(on the caliper) and repeat and that should free the piston off nicely

I got ferodo premier rear pads from camskill i thinK

GSF had a sale on brakes they might still have 25% off so worth a look

Just curious, why does the piston need wound back? I am new to this and trying to teach myself. From a very basic viewpoint, would you not simply be taking the caliper off, pulling the old pads out, sliding the new ones in and bolting the caliper back on?

Why is changing the pads any different to removing them to clean them and put them back in?

Thanks

Just curious, why does the piston need wound back? I am new to this and trying to teach myself. From a very basic viewpoint, would you not simply be taking the caliper off, pulling the old pads out, sliding the new ones in and bolting the caliper back on?

Why is changing the pads any different to removing them to clean them and put them back in?

Thanks

the pads braking material wears away over time along with the discs - the caliper piston compensates for this wear if it didnt the handbrake wouldnt work correctly...

so if you fit new pads they are thicker than old/worn ones and wouldnt fit