Stripping Brembos

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
So, has anyone ever stripped the Brembo calipers? I'm planning on stripping them down this coming weekend to replace the dust seals and piston seals as well as repainted them and change to some ATE super blue fluid.

I've read some guides and seen some videos, seems easy enough. Anyone ever done it? Any tips or advice?

If your advice is 'don't do it', please don't comment unless you have experience!

Chris

Can't help (sorry), but take lots of pics for the forum write up. I'm sure as the cars get older, more and more people will start to take an interest in this :smile:

Can't help (sorry), but take lots of pics for the forum write up. I'm sure as the cars get older, more and more people will start to take an interest in this :smile:

That's the plan, as long as I remember to take them as I go along!

Haven't done Clio ones, but done plenty of brembos from other cars, Nissan, ford, fiat etc. All pretty much the same. When you say stripping them, you mean just popping the pots out and changing the seals. I wouldn't bother splitting them to paint them.
You can use the pressure of the brake system to pop the pistons out, or connect a foot pump to them. Don't be tempted to get a screwdriver or anything on them to lever them.
Check for corrosion on the pistons, anything slight can be polished out, but any pitting etc I would replace them.
When putting new seals on, dip them in brake fluid, they'll go on easier.

They are really easy to do, bit daunting at first but you'll be fine.

Haven't done Clio ones, All pretty much the same. When you say stripping them, you mean just popping the pots out and changing the seals. I wouldn't bother splitting them to paint them.
You can use the pressure of the brake system to pop the pistons out, or connect a foot pump to them. Don't be tempted to get a screwdriver or anything on them to lever them.
Check for corrosion on the pistons, anything slight can be polished out, but any pitting etc I would replace them.
When putting new seals on, dip them in brake fluid, they'll go on easier.

this!

dont split the calipers as most makers dont recommend it.....

keep everthing clean and use new brake fluid to assemble/lube the parts

Also when putting the pistons back in, put some fluid into the caliper where the pot is going back in to. When you push it in, some will squirt out, but it helps in removing air bubbles in the caliper.

No intention of splitting the calipers, just popping the pistons out to replace the seals. I'm planning on using an air line to pop them out.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try and do a how to guide afterwards.

Can you regulate the air line. Sometimes they don't need much pressure to pop them out. Have visions of them flying across the room with a trail of brake fluid close behind it. :smiley:

Yes I can regulate the pressure, but the plan is to place a block of wood in where the pads would normally be, so they can only come out so far.

Will I be ok with the brake lines clamped off for a day whilst I rebuild and paint the calipers? I've got the plastic type brake line clamps, do they clamp the hose tight enough to stop air being drawn into the system?

I just use to use little plastic caps that screw on, and wrap some tape around it. Like the ones you get when you buy new lines, little red things.