Steering vibration

lewisflintham

POTM Winner - November 2016, August 2017
Gold Member
Right then, I hope someone can help me please. I used to have a slight vibration through the steering at about 50 to 65mph. I had some new front tyres last weekend and had the front swapped to the back. They balanced all four wheels. I've now got a more severe vibration but at about 35 to 40mph. So I went back and I've had them all re-balanced. Somehow they'd gone slightly out in 1 week. So I'm stumped. Do I have a warped wheel. and if I had, would it never balance? Or could it be bent the other way, e.g into a slight ellipse? My steering seems to have started making much more of a knocking noise now too! I really noticed it the other day going over snow which had been made into 'tracks'. So is the steering rack screwed too? All the antiroll bars and drop link things seem solid. Sorry for the life story. Thanks guys and gals.

Sounds like mine mate, I'm living with it lol. Had it checked over loads of times and been told it's all fine. Also pulls to the left quite severely.

Oh right. Thanks for the reply though. I really want to get it sorted. It really takes the shine off the car when it's doing stuff like this. Surely it can't be that hard to fix.

Surely it can't be that hard to fix.

You'd have thought so. Had it checked over at Renault 5 times (in conjunction with a knocking noise from the NS/F - started a thread which seemed to start a trend amongst some owners) and had all the standard suspension parts (ball joints, mounts, track rods/ends, drop links, bushes) checked by BTM. I need to book it in to have the whole front subframe/rack checked with them soon, but like I say it's taken so long to pinpoint that I'm living with it. As you said, it shouldn't be hard to fix, but I've found otherwise...

Have any of you two checked if your wheels are actually bent? E.g checking for run-out when the car's jacked up.

Also pulls to the left quite severely.

I spent hours investigating this but I couldn't rectify the problem. The car simply pulls to the left for no reason, quite common from what I've read. However, I drove it in Europe and it drives bang on straight. Weird...

I spent hours investigating this but I couldn't rectify the problem. The car simply pulls to the left for no reason, quite common from what I've read. However, I drove it in Europe and it drives bang on straight. Weird...

Because the camber in the road goes the other way?

Didnt EVO mag have one and they only way they rectified it was dropping the subframes and realigning it all?

Sorry for hijacking...

Because the camber in the road goes the other way?

Didnt EVO mag have one and they only way they rectified it was dropping the subframes and realigning it all?

Did they? Do you by any chance have any links Marshall?

Well the rattle through the steering column has been sorted tonight. It was the bolt at the bottom of the column near the carpet that had come loose. The garage tightened it and it's now fine. Is was rattling all through the steering column when the road was rough before. They couldn't find anything else wrong which could be causing the vibration through the steering wheel though. I'm off to the tyre place tomorrow to get my wheels swapped front to back to see what effect this has on it. We will see.

Well the rattle through the steering column has been sorted tonight. It was the bolt at the bottom of the column near the carpet that had come loose. The garage tightened it and it's now fine. Is was rattling all through the steering column when the road was rough before. They couldn't find anything else wrong which could be causing the vibration through the steering wheel though. I'm off to the tyre place tomorrow to get my wheels swapped front to back to see what effect this has on it. We will see.

Swap them ya self :wink:

Well for the time it's gonna take to go to my parent's house to use two jacks and faff about with the wheels, I thought it'd be easier to drive to Ripley and get them swapped (probably for free) :smile: