Knocking/Clunk from N/S/F & Vibration through Steering Under Braking

Rishi

Platinum Member
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on the forum and it's nice to be back, I've been doing a bit of work on my car recently and would appreciate a bit of advice.

My car's developed a knock from the n/s/f over potholes, when the suspension unloads/reloads you hear a loud clunk, then just recently after a 500 mile trip a vibration/judder through the steering wheel under braking developed. I got it on the ramp and there was a lot of 3/9 o'clock play in the wheel, a lot of it seemed to be coming from quite a bit of play in the lower arm/wishbone ball joint. There was also some movement in the hub carrier lower ball joint (which I see is common) but thought to change the wishbone first as it looked much worse. I've also replaced both link arms.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice on any of this. I should mention I also changed the brakes all round recently but they seem to be fine.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Update replacing the wishbone has cured the knocking/clunking noise I've had for the last few months! However the steering judder under braking is still there, under moderate braking from ~30mph. Under heavy or light braking there's no judder, no squirming under heavy braking either... I'm guessing there's a hotspot on the brake discs (the issue cropped up after a 500mile trip) and some heavy braking may even cure the issue.

Last edited:
Just incase anyone reads this in the future, it was the lower arm/wishbone ball joint causing the clunking over potholes/bumps, and the n/s brake disc was blued causing the steering judder under braking.