Steering vibration on cold engine

When I start the car when engine is cold, the whole steering gets vibrated until engine warms up then it slightly decrease but does not go away completely, AC is off. What could cause that?

Do you have polybush upper or lower mounts? As this is common at certain revs with them, when it is cold the revs are higher on idle to warm up the cats etc, so it's in a rev band that causes vibrations (natural frequency of the steering wheel area being excited).

You can either live with it, or change back to OEM mounts (like I did lol)

Do you have polybush upper or lower mounts? As this is common at certain revs with them, when it is cold the revs are higher on idle to warm up the cats etc, so it's in a rev band that causes vibrations (natural frequency of the steering wheel area being excited).

You can either live with it, or change back to OEM mounts (like I did lol)

No they are OEM mounts, never been changed.

Then have your mechanic check the mounts. I would bet a few of them are perished / collapsed

AFAIK, theres only OEM for rubber replacement. This will get you the minimized NVH you want, so no cabin rattles or squeaks, and no vibrations in the mirrors, etc. However, they have a relatively limited shelf life. Out here with our heat in the UAE, they last 3-4 years MAX.

However, if you choose to go with polybush or something like Vibratechnic, you will have longer lasting mounts, but at the expense of NVH. Everything mounting the engine and gearbox gets stiffer, which transmits all the vibrations thru the cabin like you are experiencing now. But the poly inserts really extend the life of the mounts.

It all depends on what you want. Smooth, soft ride and minimal noise? OEM. Firmer support (less engine and transmission rocking) and longer mount life, Powerflex / Vibratechnic.

Reactions: Ruben203