Starter Gone?

Have you had a load check done on the battery? Will the car jump start as oppose to bump start? The cars a similar age to my meg which I had to replace the battery on a few weeks ago

Ok - So dropped car in garage this morning.

They are saying starter problem. They said they were receiving a voltage at the starter but no movement. If they give it a bit of a 'whack' it starts but not every time.

Sounds to me like a dodgy connection or corrosion within the motor itself.

They are quoting £398.18 for them to source and fit the part tomorrow, which sounds steep but apparently the heatsheild needs doing with it. Is there not the possibility to recondition a starter motor or find the problem internally rather than replace the whole thing for a new one... :@

you maybe better of getting a price for the job, supplying your own starter on an exchange basis, so when you get the old starter off the car, take it back to where your got the starter to get abit of your money back.

Well just to keep you upto date,

The garage that quoted me £400 to source and fit have now quoted me £158 for fitting only as I have been able to source the part for £100 with heat-shield and all fixtures and fittings.

I appreciate that it may be a bit of a job getting to and replacing the starter, its in a very awkward position - he estimates 2.7 hours.

So all in all £266 to replace the starter motor... :nope:

Well just to keep you upto date,

The garage that quoted me £400 to source and fit have now quoted me £158 for fitting only as I have been able to source the part for £100 with heat-shield and all fixtures and fittings.

I appreciate that it may be a bit of a job getting to and replacing the starter, its in a very awkward position - he estimates 2.7 hours.

So all in all £266 to replace the starter motor... :nope:

theres a few on here that have done it on thier backs on the drive so cant see it taking 2.7hrs in a garage - it is tucked under the exhaust manifold but even so its not like renaults of old where you had to removed the manifold to get at it :bat:

£266 is lot better than £400 :thumbup1:

theres a few on here that have done it on thier backs on the drive so cant see it taking 2.7hrs in a garage - it is tucked under the exhaust manifold but even so its not like renaults of old where you had to removed the manifold to get at it :bat:

£266 is lot better than £400 :thumbup1:

So you think £158 labour is a little too much? I'm going to try get a better price for fitting but I know and trust these people which is half the battle now'a days.

Just picked her up from the garage. Started first time with no work done - however no such luck when I got it back to work, still won't go without an encouraging nudge to the starter....

Getting car booked in as soon as parts arrive and hopefully that will be this little hiccup sorted :chair:

I'm going to get her raised up over the weekend and have a good rummage myself before I take this diagnostic as read.

It is a real faff, I had to refit my starter heat shield after we swapped the manifold and that took ages, just because it was a bugger to get it back in place.

Why do you need a new heat shield?

There is a reinforcement under the car that is held in place with 4 nuts, you will need to remove this to gain access.

The starters fairly easy it's the heatshield which is the devils own design. The original item can only be fitted face on, i.e with the manifold off. Whereas the new shield you have to buy, along with a bolt, can be slipped on from the side and secured with the bolt.

It's still a nightmare though!

It is a real faff, I had to refit my starter heat shield after we swapped the manifold and that took ages, just because it was a bugger to get it back in place.

Why do you need a new heat shield?

There is a reinforcement under the car that is held in place with 4 nuts, you will need to remove this to gain access.

Apparently to get at starter motor and remove/replace you have to remove the heat shield. In doing this they said the bolts that hold them in place may need replacing as well (6nr. in total). Luckily my newly sourced part comes with heat shield and all fixtures and fittings so shouldn't have any problems there.

I'm still thinking a refurbishment of existing might be the cheaper option especially since it does start some of the time - but with my limited knowledge in this area I think the easiest option is going to be getting this new part fitted in garage.

You'll probaly find your new starter you sourced will be an exchange item anyway so you won't get to keep it unless you swallow the surcharge...

You'll probaly find your new starter you sourced will be an exchange item anyway so you won't get to keep it unless you swallow the surcharge...

Well to be honest getting the price down from around £400 to £150 all in, they can keep it - I'm not complaining. I just want her running smooth as silk again.

best off with exchange as all the work will have been done to it

if you got your old one out and the comutator is worn then its either replacement or a machining job and same on the brushes - finding the right ones - not to mention the contacts on the solenoid being burnt!!!

Sorry about late update but here was the situation.

Old starter motor was dodgy and would only start with an encouraging knock or bump start.

Had this out and replaced with another. Problem sorted.

I managed to get a really good price both on part and fitting so luckily this only cost £150 in total.

Pictures to follow as I expect I am not the first or last with a typically French starter motor...

Oh and big thanks to all who helped, I managed to keep my hands on the old starter so if anybody wants a refurb project I'll be happy to post it...