Sean's 197T - RIP Albi :(

Bloody hell mate, that looks immense! Great results for your first time with a DA, and it's not that easy, plenty of folk have made a right pigs ear of it. Top work!

Engine cover looks ace too. And we plan to do the dash strips on ours. You've saved me a photoshop as I can just show Mrs M yours!

Reactions: Sean197
Fantastic looking finish to me Sean......even through the photos in poor light:smile:

Close-up of the back-end and the bonnet-shot are particularly impressive. You always been into a bit of detailing ? Is this just taking it to the next stage and into your own hands ?

If you can, when you order the Collinite, also order a black DA pad. It'll allow you to apply the 845 quicker and with better coverage. It's what I did (before I went to Fusso).

You'll have to enlighten me as to what a "black DA pad" is lol is it a particular hardness of pad? I used a soft black one to apply the super finish stuff.

Fantastic looking finish to me Sean......even through the photos in poor light:smile:

Close-up of the back-end and the bonnet-shot are particularly impressive. You always been into a bit of detailing ? Is this just taking it to the next stage and into your own hands ?

I have never been properly into detailing, I've always been a wash-dry-hand polish-wax guy. The whole kit was £135 so for that price I figured it was worth a go, although the swirls and light scratches were annoying me.
This is the kit http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...polisher-sonus-and-menzerna-kit/prod_525.html

Doesn't Albi Blue look great...!

Looks better than factory Sean.

Btw what colour have you sprayed your wheels? Or are they standard silver?

Doesn't Albi Blue look great...!

Looks better than factory Sean.

Btw what colour have you sprayed your wheels? Or are they standard silver?

Cheers Ben. The wheels are standard silver. I plan to refurb them when the speedlines go on, just a case of finding the standard colour in a spray can!

Reactions: Big Ben
You'll have to enlighten me as to what a "black DA pad" is lol is it a particular hardness of pad? I used a soft black one to apply the super finish stuff.

I use a orange chemical guys pad to 'compound/cut' the paint (remove minor scratches and swirl marks) then a white chemical guys pad to 'polish' the paint (basically make it shine) and then a black chemical guys pad to apply liquid wax.

nNw8yhQ.jpg

I could go in for hours but I don't want to bore you to death :tongueout:. Too bloody cold to polish the car at this time of the year, roll on spring, I've even booked time off work to polish the car!

Correct! What pads did you use previously?

It can be applied by hand or DA, I use a DA as I find it spreads it thinly and more evenly with better coverage. It's all down to how to want to use it. I'd say a low speed, say 2 or 3, as you are not doing any cutting or polishing, just applying a product to buff off later.

I did use it for months by hand, but then I realised how easy it was via the black pad that I swapped. You also end up using less, as it spreads nicely.

You can apply many products by DA, namely glazes, sealants and liquid waxes.

Reactions: wanger and Sean197
Correct! What pads did you use previously?

It can be applied by hand or DA, I use a DA as I find it spreads it thinly and more evenly with better coverage. It's all down to how to want to use it. I'd say a low speed, say 2 or 3, as you are not doing any cutting or polishing, just applying a product to buff off later.

I did use it for months by hand, but then I realised how easy it was via the black pad that I swapped. You also end up using less, as it spreads nicely.

You can apply many products by DA, namely glazes, sealants and liquid waxes.

I've only machine-polished once, and I just used the pads which came with the kit (link above).
So if I've got this right:

Wash - Clay - Polish - Wax - Seal - Maintain,

with Claying, Polishing, Waxing, Sealing only needing done one every 3-6 months or so? Are waxing/sealing the same thing or different i.e. I've got my eyes on the Collinite 845 and GTechniq C2 - do I need both or will just the Collinite suffice?

Thanks again for your help, I can see this getting expensive...

I've only machine-polished once, and I just used the pads which came with the kit (link above).
So if I've got this right:

Wash - Clay - Polish - Wax - Seal - Maintain,

with Claying, Polishing, Waxing, Sealing only needing done one every 3-6 months or so? Are waxing/sealing the same thing or different i.e. I've got my eyes on the Collinite 845 and GTechniq C2 - do I need both or will just the Collinite suffice?

Thanks again for your help, I can see this getting expensive...

Yeah, that's the correct method.

I only clay the car once a year, I see no need to do it anymore as it gets washed once a week so no contamination has a chance to settle long enough to get embedded. You can clay before you wax, like what I did. I snow foamed the car and then used the foam as a lube for the clay, and no contamination was picked up.

What I do is wax the car with Fusso (or Collinite in your case), and then use a spray sealant called Sonax BSD every other wash (in your case C2) to maintain the protection on the car. Its unlikely the wax will last more than 6 months unless its not your daily.

It depends on what products you get, the Fusso was £20 and lasts years, and the Sonax BSD was less than £6 from Euro Car Parts. The price has gone up now but some people bought 7+ bottles as it normally goes for around £12. Plus the beading you get from BSD is insane! Simply spray on and wipe off.

Just build up a basic collection, that's what I have done. I haven't bought any car cleaning things for over 6 months as I just don't need it. I have 5l of shampoo that was £15, 5l of snow foam that was £10, plus I got more at xmas. Waxes again, last months/years, and wait for the Halfords 3 for 2 to get tyre gel/trim gel. I got 3 bottles of Meguiars Tyre Gel for about £15, and I'm halfway through the first bottle (and I bought them a year ago!)

Last edited:
@Greg0986 Nice one. I'll use the Menzerna stuff I got in the DA kit until it runs out, and then look at other stuff. At the moment, aside from the kit, my collection consists of Autoglym shampoo and conditioner, Auto Finesse Tripple and Auto Finesse Revive, Meguiars tyre gel, Meguiars Carnauba wax, and Auto Finesse Glisten.

Is this the Fusso wax? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft99-Fu...751750?hash=item25a9189a06:g:T7EAAOSwaNBUfiXp not a bad price actually, especially if it lasts a while.

You've also reminded me about snow foam/pre-wash. I have my eye on these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151502347743?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371708313170?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Again, thanks for the help.

@Greg0986 Nice one. I'll use the Menzerna stuff I got in the DA kit until it runs out, and then look at other stuff. At the moment, aside from the kit, my collection consists of Autoglym shampoo and conditioner, Auto Finesse Tripple and Auto Finesse Revive, Meguiars tyre gel, Meguiars Carnauba wax, and Auto Finesse Glisten.

Is this the Fusso wax? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft99-Fu...751750?hash=item25a9189a06:g:T7EAAOSwaNBUfiXp not a bad price actually, especially if it lasts a while.

You've also reminded me about snow foam/pre-wash. I have my eye on these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151502347743?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371708313170?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Again, thanks for the help.

Keep the Menzerna stuff, it's awesome stuff, it's what I use. Can't really get better. All that stuff is good, you'll be going into silly money for anything better. I use tripple before I wax sometimes (mainly summer, again, too cold for winter).

Yep, that's the stuff. I got mine from Nipponshine though, as they are the main distributor for it in the UK.

Do you have a pressure washer? If so, get a snow foam lance. It'll apply snow foams quickly and produces clingy foam to soften dirt. Like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171952362155 (obviously look at one that fits your pressure washer)

Yeah I have a Karcher, so looks like that's the one to buy then! Good to know about the Menzerna stuff, I certainly have enough of it.
So is the Tripple basically a replacement for the cutting compound?

Yeah I have a Karcher, so looks like that's the one to buy then! Good to know about the Menzerna stuff, I certainly have enough of it.
So is the Tripple basically a replacement for the cutting compound?

It's more like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish. It will hide/fill minor scratches and give the wax a good surface to bond to. It has very light abrasives in it, so probably less cut than Menzerna 3800. You apply the Tripple, buff off and then apply wax. You'll remove some swirls, but not all. After a few months the swirls will start show again and you'll have to apply more Tripple.

Ah ok, so it's more of a polish/filler, like Meguiars scratch remover (which I also have but have never used).
Jesus, who knew cleaning your car could be so complicated LOL

Reactions: Jimmy

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sean197 Projects/Progress Threads 30
Pav Projects/Progress Threads 2657
B Spotted 0