RS200 Internal Engine Light Ticking - Suspected Crankshaft Bearing

Discussion in 'Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust and Air Intake' started by EvoClio, Mar 14, 2019.

1. EvoClio

EvoClio

Car:
    Clio RS200 CUP MK3
    Hi All,

The car was recently in the garage for a replacement O2 sensor, I noticed a very light ticking noise develop over the last 1000 miles (LH Side Engine Bay). When I drive the car, the ticking is in sync with the revs and is mostly noticeable around 1500-2000 revs.

The garage also noticed this and have advised me that it was likely engine internals - Suspected Big End Bearing/Crankshaft.

I've been driving it for 1000 miles or so, it doesn't appear to have developed any louder.

Purchasing a replacement engine will likely be expensive, plus labour to swap.
    Stripping the current engine and rebuild I suspect will also be relatively expensive?

Any thoughts or suggestions, not sure what to do/think next...

2. Foxspeed

Foxspeed "the new red baron" Moderator

Car:
    ford mustang shadow gt v8
    have you check the exhaust manifold they can crack & cause a leak sometimes like a sort of tick...

big ends/cranks dont tick

camshaft or hydraulic lifters "tick" along with injectors...

you need to investigate before jumping to a new engine conclusion as you says it has not got worse

Sean197 and Beany like this.
  3. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    LY FF Clio 200 with Cup Pack
    Might be worth checking the condition of the aux belt too, a quick visual check should do. If you’ve got small ish mirror and torch you could probably do it from the top of the engine bay.

A while ago mine had a strange ticking/tapping in sync with revs and it was only audible at low rpm, the aux belt was a little perished and missing a few bits. Changed the belt noise was gone.

4. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    LY FF Clio 200 with Cup Pack
    Actually just seen you said LH side of the bay, maybe forget what I said then. Unless you’re talking LH side when in front of the car?

5. Foxspeed

Foxspeed "the new red baron" Moderator

Car:
    ford mustang shadow gt v8
    check this!