RS Megane MK4

Its t

Is about 40bhp off the Type R, quick remap could sort that :wink:

That’s the problem... modifying is out of the question for a lot of people first off. I personally only remap out of warranty, and I know a lot of people are the same.

Plus, can always remap the type R and the gap is back

Reactions: Micah
85% of People that buy a Performance hot hatch will never use it on track so bhp is just dick waving.So lets drive it and then make a decision i never know untill Blanchmount at 110 plus in all my RS's so looking forward to my test drive

Last edited:
Reactions: peter
Can we all remember too, that as good as a Civic Type R is.....

IT LOOKS LIKE ASS!! [emoji23]

But yes you’re right, that’s a for and against for the Meg though isn’t it.
It’s designed to be awesome on track, but like you say 85% of people won’t take it on one (if not more). So surely for the mass market, they’d have been better off pleasing the dick waving BHP people?
Then making the more track focused Trophy for the track mongers among us?

Can we all remember too, that as good as a Civic Type R is.....

IT LOOKS LIKE ASS!! [emoji23]

But yes you’re right, that’s a for and against for the Meg though isn’t it.
It’s designed to be awesome on track, but like you say 85% of people won’t take it on one (if not more). So surely for the mass market, they’d have been better off pleasing the dick waving BHP people?
Then making the more track focused Trophy for the track mongers among us?
They made a hash on the 200t and yes i had one but lets just see its a tiny market place 300 bhp should be a starter but just hold fire

Has anyone abroad done any performance mods for the new MK4? as I know some countries already have the car. Interesting to see what people are squeezing out of a 1.8 that already has 280bhp!

I can honestly see the MK4 being a good track car! The four wheel steering being the key to that. I think when the trophy arrives that will be the ring king again!

Sooooo...

I’ve been to Paris and back for work today.

Had 20 mins to nip into the big Renault store in town, hoping they had a new RS. They did!

I think it looks mega, the orange looks ace and the interior looks to be really good quality.

The lighting isn’t the best but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 586FB141-DB43-4B60-B365-C53ED76A8D8F.jpeg
    586FB141-DB43-4B60-B365-C53ED76A8D8F.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 57
  • F7D21F75-E8A8-4D64-B91E-25A5C626E58A.jpeg
    F7D21F75-E8A8-4D64-B91E-25A5C626E58A.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 251707D5-EE99-4CF4-9814-52CFDC595523.jpeg
    251707D5-EE99-4CF4-9814-52CFDC595523.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
  • 690CB16C-E1BF-4DE3-9F0B-D134A35DA770.jpeg
    690CB16C-E1BF-4DE3-9F0B-D134A35DA770.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • A8EE752E-3FF9-40DD-84C7-5BEFF5369C9D.jpeg
    A8EE752E-3FF9-40DD-84C7-5BEFF5369C9D.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 373BE044-6A3C-43A1-8F34-9C7DF599F6C4.jpeg
    373BE044-6A3C-43A1-8F34-9C7DF599F6C4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
Sooooo...

I’ve been to Paris and back for work today.

Had 20 mins to nip into the big Renault store in town, hoping they had a new RS. They did!

I think it looks mega, the orange looks ace and the interior looks to be really good quality.

The lighting isn’t the best but you get the idea.
Thank you

I thought the Renault Sports were all about handling rather than chasing BHP figures? As Kev has said numbers are just pub talk unless you are tracking/racing the car.

Reactions: peter
Great pics @AmosMoses - will certainly have some presence in that colour. Definitely a fan of this, interior looks great too.

Reactions: Pav
So... Just had a phone call from my best mate and his brother. They've both just been driving the new MK4 Megane on track at Silverstone national circuit.

Me and thee best mate have both driven the MK3 Meg and his brother had one for comparison.

The bottom line from the both of them was... 'Unbelievable amounts of grip through the corners and the four wheel steering is superb at pushing you round the hairpin. The engine is okay but would be better with a remap as the MK3 feels faster. The gearbox is like silk and a very short throw. Overall, an outstanding car and looks unreal too, just not in white'

Brief but enough to probably make me want to drive it now! Can already feel the wallet getting lighter :french:

Funnily enough I’d quite fancy a white one.
Looks like the popularity has bitten them on the bum...

Attachments

• B8BE9A3E-92EB-4690-B24D-C8B3EA8E7C34.png
    B8BE9A3E-92EB-4690-B24D-C8B3EA8E7C34.png
    544.1 KB · Views: 19
I wouldn't buy one at this point and rather wait until it's clear that thing isn't a lemon.

Here's a quote of an answer from an alleged RS clerk concerning the cylinder head issue.

Yes the GPF is the Gasoline Particles Filter.
No difference of power output and torque output is requested on all the rpm range. The engine mapping is different betwen GPF version and without GPF in order to achieve this goal.

The engine cylinder head exists in two specifications. One for power output 221kw and one for 205kw.
During testing of 205 kW we figured out the thermal managment was a bit weak for 221 kW, so new engine cylinder head for the 221 kW version.

So first come the 205 kW without GPF and 205 kW engine cylinder head then it will be 205 kW with GPF but i'm not sure if it will be 221 or 205 engine cylinder head. (It's the tricky part)
But at the end you will have a 205 kW with GPF and 221 kW engine cylinder head AND a 221 kW with GPF and 221 kW engine cylinder head indeed.

As manufacturing date concern it's blurry for me as i'm on development part and not manufacturing.

So the engine cylinder head is a thermal managment modification not a pure performance improvement. Even if with better cooling you could theoretically squeeze out a bit more power.

One of our Renault mechanics confirmed that there's an official instruction to check the cylinder heads of cars built in a certain time frame. That presumably has something to do with the two different versions of the heads mentioned above.

And here are two videos showing the EDC "knocking" problem. The first is from Spain or Portugal from what I get and the second was taken by somebody from our forum who only has trouble with his one.

Additionally I've heard that they can't get ordered in Tonic Orange and Liquid Yellow at least at this point. Presumably because they've problems with the paint quality of these two colours.

Besides that it should be noted that Renault seems to have reduced the warranty to only 3 years now.

Please note that I've nothing against the new Megane or RS but it unfortunately seems there are some issue that have to be fixed before the car will live up to expectations. I just don't want that somebody here has to play "guinea pig" for Renault.

Last edited:
sensible thing,as always,is to wait a year or so ..this way the rs division has some time to iron out some issues...

Every manufacturer is the same when I new generation is released. The Focus RS for instance has been plagued with cylinder head issues from day 1. Another example (non performance) which I have had first hand experience with having worked in a Nissan service department was the latest gen Qashqai which came out around 2014 - some of these vehicles had 7/8 recalls on them.

As @Pav says, best to wait a year or so to have potential issues ironed out.

Surprised to hear it only has a 3 year warranty as the 4 year warranty was something which set Renault apart from the majority of manufacturers (except Kia and Hyundai). Where has this info came from re the warranty period?

I got the info about the warranty from Australia (ozrenaultsport.com) and it doesn't seems to be related to the M4RS only.

IMG_0673.thumb.JPG.6ae9ef11885ea4ed4c9527a734980e27.jpg

I haven't checked if it's the same over here but would assume so.

warranty was never more than two years in belgium, unless you opted for "warranty plus".

looked at the belgian renault site and it's still two years (unlimited mileage) or three years (150.000 km limited mileage). you can buy extra warranty (up to three years extra). cheapest extra warranty (subject to mileage) for one year extra is €299, for two years extra is +€489 and three years extra is +€759. those are prices for a megane. clio rates are significant cheaper.

It is or better was the same for my C3RS but at least in Australia they got 5 years warranty for the C4RS and M3RS from what I get. They're quite unhappy about the fact over there.