Review & video 200 with silencer removed page 3

All those flat spots can cause any damage to anything?( engine maybe?)

I wouldn't have thought so, and I haven't heard of any issues directly relating to the flat spot. As you may know, these cars have a small flat spot as standard - all the mods do is exaggerate it.

OK so here is a video! It's no where near as loud as it sounds in the video! Just to be clear on that. In the cabin it's only a bit louder

[video=youtube;E0mfqa6GBgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0mfqa6GBgU[/video]

My review on a standard car, standard exhaust with only the centre silencer removed, straight stainless steel pipe welded in and a performance panel filter.

Idle
a tiiiiny bit deeper and a tiiiiny bit louder. Passable as standard.

Gentle driving
A bit louder, non intrusive. It's not boomy or droney, more just a bit louder at the standard note.

Motorway
A slightly drone, nothing offensive or annoying, just a slightly more sporty note.

Giving it the beans
Raspy past 5500rpm, louder and plenty of little crackles.

Revving
We'll , see video

Pros-
Higher pitch tinny rasp, more drama on downshifts and high revs. Not overly loud, not boomy.

Cons -

Flatspot.. Yup, didn't have one before and now there is a small but noticeable hesitation /flatspot at around 2500-2800 rpm.

Can I live with it? Personally, No thanks. It's off to AMD in Essex for a remap next week once I have fitted a 64mm throttle body. That will be a custom one to suit all mods, help with cold start driveability and wipe away flatspot.

Hope that helps anyone that Is unsure about doing good it.

Last edited:
Good review, very useful :smile:

With regards the flat spot, did you know about this mod/fix??

Yea man, did this plus cable ties a while back and fully cured the Flatspot, even from cold start!
I will fit a bigger tb and get it remapped. It's on the list anyway, just brought it forward a bit.

Last edited:
I think it may get louder with time (mine did) there seems to be a noise switch at 2.5k, no sure if anyone else notices that either.

Also is this before or after you remapped with RS tuner ?

Very usefull review hsu,but 2.5-2.8 flat spot? Personaly i think i wouldnt care its a rpm that doesnt really suppose to bother us

Btw i think ( no sure) if you would leave the mid aand take the back box instaed it would make better noise and no flat spots( just assuming)

Last edited:
I think it may get louder with time (mine did) there seems to be a noise switch at 2.5k, no sure if anyone else notices that either.

Also is this before or after you remapped with RS tuner ?

This is before the rs tuner. It totally sorted the flatspot on my old 182 and 172 Cup but I will now have a custom RR remap to have it exactly how I want and to make the most of the exhaust, panel filter and the 64mm tb that is on the way.

Very usefull review hsu,but 2.5-2.8 flat spot? Personaly i think i wouldnt care its a rpm that doesnt really suppose to bother us

Btw i think ( no sure) if you would leave the mid aand take the back box instaed it would make better noise and no flat spots( just assuming)

I know what you mean but It's my daily so I spend a lot of time between 2-3500rpm. Enough for it to annoy me after only a few hours!

Last edited:
So today I found it a slightly bit louder in the higher revs. On idle and gentle driving it's no louder than standard. Getting a tiny pop and crackle on most gearshifts too! These are very subtle, my passenger didn't notice but I did (smiles!).

Flatspot still there, not that noticeable when driving gently which is most of my driving but it will still bog down when trying to pull out of junctions with more throttle.

I have booked it with AMD in Essex for a custom map on Thurs, will update then

Has anyone had this done with sleeves/joiners so you can revert back to standard if required? How much did you pay?
Just been to a local place and the bloke said £80 to weld in a new section, £120 to do it with sleeves and another £40 to sort out the original silencer so it could be refitted

Has anyone had this done with sleeves/joiners so you can revert back to standard if required? How much did you pay?
Just been to a local place and the bloke said £80 to weld in a new section, £120 to do it with sleeves and another £40 to sort out the original silencer so it could be refitted
I sleeved it myself , bought a pipe cutting tool to do the job , didn't cost much , will check total cost for you.
Edit : 12 for pipe , 20 for tool , 2 for clamps. Total 34

Last edited:
I just bought the pipe with clamps off eBay and got my mobile mechanic buddy to come round and do it for me. £40 all in I think it was