Val-Racing ATB LSD review

bedoef

Platinum Member
I wanted to post up a review of my LSD, as I think it would be beneficial for everyone on here to know about all options available when modding your car. I bought it off @Matt Scarbro who was going to drop it into his Clio, however his plans changed. I figured I would give it a shot to see if it was worth it to spend 1/2 as much as a Quaife. I have not yet had a chance to compare to a car equipped with a Quaife, so when I do I will update this post with my thoughts.

The two popular options on here are Gripper diffs or Quaife, with strong opinions being held for both. I was planning to go with a Quaife until I saw Matt's post about the Russian LSD and I started looking into it as an option. I took the plunge and got the diff fitted in November and finally did the first track day after the gearbox break-in.

My initial thoughts of how it feels on street and track:

Street Thoughts
This is the first FWD car I have driven with an LSD. I noticed that with the LSD the car will pull out of any corner, at any angle, so much so that I am sometimes caught off guard. U-turns were the most surprising thing to experience; prior the LSD the car would either have TC cut in or start spinning a wheel and understeer a bit, but now it just keeps pulling. Overall, not really much impact on street driving other than to change the behavior of the car in really tight turns. Turning radius I feel is a bit worse off, but nothing major.

Track Thoughts
I have done a few Yas Marina and Dubai Autodrome track days before I installed the diff. My first test of the diff was at the Autodrome Grand Prix layout. The diff transformed the car on track and was fantastic! There are 2 bowl-shaped corners and 4 tight corners in the layout which proved to be tricky sections with an open diff. I had 0 traction issues during the event, over 20+ laps driven over 3 hours. Diff worked perfectly. I don't hit the curbs much so I cannot comment on its behavior when one wheel is off the track. I agree with everyone when they say LSD is the best mod for the car by far.

I wanted to post this to inform anyone thinking to update their car that I think the Val-racing diff seems to be a pretty good option to consider. I will keep tracking the car and if anything changes I will update this post.

Was there any issues with the install and what was the break in period?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Was there any issues with the install and what was the break in period?

Straightforward. I think the garage needed a few extra shims for the gearbox, and obviously needed fresh differential bearings.

Recommended break in by the factory was just 1000kms run in that was it, simple.

Reactions: wootwoot
I use one too and it’s fantastic.
The run in was on track and so far so good.

However it’s no p&p, the garage need to measure and do a specific shim.

Reactions: bedoef
I use one too and it’s fantastic.
The run in was on track and so far so good.

However it’s no p&p, the garage need to measure and do a specific shim.

That explains why my garage delayed delivery a few days, they said they were getting shims for the gearbox. I assumed that was a standard thing when rebuilding one?

Renault have a few shims with different dimension but in my case none of them worked. Garage needed to make one.

edited-image_zpse7sld1c9.png

Anyone know where these shims are required in the box when fitting this diff? I have one due to be fitted was either going to have a go myself or give it to a local garage but if it needs shimmed I want to be able to tell them about it before hand so they don’t miss it out!

Ok I have got the box apart and have measured up for the new shim, anyone recommend anywhere to get one made up if i send them dimensions?

Getting a spacer made up, when fitting a diff have others just re used the ring gear bolts or bought new ones? Struggling to find replacements.

Getting a spacer made up, when fitting a diff have others just re used the ring gear bolts or bought new ones? Struggling to find replacements.

I think mine was reused, I didn't get any new ones when I ordered parts and I don't recall the garage charging me for any.

I replaced the ring gear bolts - there is less thread engagement in the Val Racing diff with original bolts due to it being thicker. It took me ages and ages to find some bolts that fit without cutting down.

I have got one of these on order....currently sat in Customers in Coventry.

Can't wait to get it fitted and see what difference it makes!

Reactions: wootwoot
From what a person on FB said when he installed it.

Look forward to hearing your review88717adfd54299b44ff96673844be573.jpg

Reactions: bedoef