Renault defends the paddles on the 200T

Just read this. Will be interesting to hear what the press say when they get to drive them.

We've all said it, and the author of the article clearly shares the same opinion. It's all business and fair enough of course. Renault is not a charity organization after all.

It says Renault will be using a Getrag gearbox, I think VAG developed their own but I could be wrong on that. Personally I feel the fact that Renault have felt the need to defend it already, before anybody has driven it, speaks a more than if they had said nothing.

should still be an option....

but lets not beat about the bush here....i think what we have now to drive isnt what renault want as a customer - its so biased to the jerman cars its unreal....all like 1940 again! :german:

should still be an option....

but lets not beat about the bush here....i think what we have now to drive isnt what renault want as a customer - its so biased to the jerman cars its unreal....all like 1940 again! :german:

Hmm I reckon a forum competition could be in order...

First person to get a genuine photo of themselves dressed in a german gestapo outfit in a 200T wins the prize

I agree with some of his points and most make sense. Theres always going to be some that will never enjoy an auto but...

Have you ever heard of the press complain about GTR's and new Ferrari's being auto only? Sure they've raised the point then after the test drive it's never an issue.

I voted a one and it looks like a lot of other people have voted low, only 3 on the gague.

Have you ever heard of the press complain about GTR's and new Ferrari's being auto only? Sure they've raised the point then after the test drive it's never an issue.

Fair comment, but let's not compare exotic supercars (458s, pdk GT3s and the lot) with a cheap hot hatch. Clio is not a particularly quick car, it's all about how involved the driver is and the feedback he gets, that's why it's so good. And IMO now (mk4) the driver gets one less good variable to be happy about. Is there going to be something else to compensate for that ''loss''? Time will tell.

I think the paddles are a good driving aid, but nothing compares to a manual and clutch no matter what! just has a much better feel to it

It's plain and simple, it should be an option, not the only option. If they did that, they'd have the best hot hatch on the market, steal VAG DSG loving people away from them and still have the manual box for the die hards, like most of the people who own RS cars at the moment.

I don't like the digital speedo either.

Fair comment, but let's not compare exotic supercars (458s, pdk GT3s and the lot) with a cheap hot hatch. Clio is not a particularly quick car, it's all about how involved the driver is and the feedback he gets, that's why it's so good. And IMO now (mk4) the driver gets one less good variable to be happy about. Is there going to be something else to compensate for that ''loss''? Time will tell.

My main part of the point was highlighting the best cars in the class and how the auto only turns out to not be an issue. Theres no comparison between a Clio and a GTR etc.

The RenaultSport team will still want to be the best regardless of what the number crunchers throw at them.

I guess we will just all need to wait and see. Though its taking far to long :lol:

My main part of the point was highlighting the best cars in the class and how the auto only turns out to not be an issue. Theres no comparison between a Clio and a GTR etc.

The people that test these exotic cars and flappy paddles do so in environments where the box would be of maximum benefit.

Personally I wouldnt want to live with one on a daily basis for daily driving. two hands on the wheel at all times and how aggressive are the changes going to be?

I'll reserve proper judgement until ive driven one, but at the moment I think they should have had the option of both.

I think the paddles are a good driving aid, but nothing compares to a manual and clutch no matter what! just has a much better feel to it

Agree with the above but no-one can change gear quicker than 150m/s so i see their reason behind it but i would prefer a manual myself as said!
Cant wait to have a go tho as ive been in a evo with this box and it changes gears like a motorbike....and sounds the nuts!

In the past, Reno haven't gotten much wrong in terms of driver satisfaction, if u ask me... Why are people doubting the paddles? I've personally always preferred clutch and gear lever, but I think we should all be a little less pessimistic about the dsg...

In the past, Reno haven't gotten much wrong in terms of driver satisfaction, if u ask me... Why are people doubting the paddles? I've personally always preferred clutch and gear lever, but I think we should all be a little less pessimistic about the dsg...

new clio rs 200t is 1279kg.....that gearbox is a heafty piece of kit :zomg: