Rear ABS ring and sensor replacement

197JST

Gold Member
Greetings every one,

Ive recently been notified of the ABS / ESP sensor error on the dash warning.

Is this a job that can be easily worked, when I was cleaning the wheel arches earlier in the year, I noticed some corrosion around the back of the rear disks, this is where the ABS ring is located, since the warning appearing on the dash this is were Im thinking to start to fix the problem.

Is this some thing that can be replaced quiet easily?

Yes and no, yes if it hasn't corroded so badly that it's stuck on (like mine was on 1 side).

Also most of time the sensor is fine, it's the backing plate the ABS sensor sits in corrodes and then takes off the magnetic strip from the disc, you can buy the plate from @renaultpartsdirect

Then ABS ring for the disc from eBay

So you need a 36mm socket to take off the rear disc but, then you need sockets to take off the bolts holding the caliper to stub axle.

Then you need a chisel headed punch to remove the bracket and also to remove the ABS ring from disc.
The bracket needs to sit in the correct place (it had a tab where the ABS sensor sits in, then stub axle has a cutout, they need to align correctly or it will rub on disc and take off magnetic strip again).

If you don't feel comfortable with any of this, just get a garage to do it, also make sure you tell them the 36mm nut to he disc on should be done to 175nm, if it's overtightened it will destroy your bearing in the disc.

If your discs need replacing, then you don't need the ABS ring from eBay, as the new discs will have them on.

This was the old bracket and new, also old ring and new

IMG_20200927_122827.jpg

IMG_20200927_153010.jpg

IMG_20200927_130046.jpg

IMG_20200927_132008.jpg

Thanks for the response Suj,

im going to follow your advise on this...

So be it during the week between Christmas and NY, but I'll have plenty of time to get the car on axle stands to be able to attempt the job!

The Discs dont need replacing as I had then changed earlier in the year, so Ill order the bracket and rings for both sides!

Would you recommend changing the sensors as well at the same time, or going with the process of elimination first and just replacing the brackets and rings?

Reactions: suj
No problem, any questions just ask away.

The sensors hardly ever go on the rear, it's the brackets rusting and taking the ABS ring with it.

Also a little tip, once you torque the 36mm nut, spin the disc by hand (slowly) it should rotate smooth and free, if not you most likely haven't got the bracket in that groove and/or haven't got bracket pushed all the way back. If you look at my second pic, you'll see round marks on the bracket, that's from me hitting it with a flat punch all the way round, making sure it was seated all the way back.

Once the car is back together and moving smoothly the light might still be on, once you drive over a certain speed it will turn off.

Take your time and make sure everything is put in properly, or you'll destroy another ABS ring and will have to wait for another one and take it apart again.

Reactions: 197JST and Sean197
This is so annoying, I replaced rear discs and pads on mine trying to sort a squeak cause by this problem. After that the squeak continued so I realised these abs plates were the actual cause of the squeak. I bought the new plates but I then had the abs ring worn away on the new disc so I bought a third new disc! I didn’t realise you could buy the abs rings on there own! I threw away a virtually brand new brake disc [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and no, yes if it hasn't corroded so badly that it's stuck on (like mine was on 1 side).

Also most of time the sensor is fine, it's the backing plate the ABS sensor sits in corrodes and then takes off the magnetic strip from the disc, you can buy the plate from @renaultpartsdirect

Then ABS ring for the disc from eBay

So you need a 36mm socket to take off the rear disc but, then you need sockets to take off the bolts holding the caliper to stub axle.

Then you need a chisel headed punch to remove the bracket and also to remove the ABS ring from disc.
The bracket needs to sit in the correct place (it had a tab where the ABS sensor sits in, then stub axle has a cutout, they need to align correctly or it will rub on disc and take off magnetic strip again).

If you don't feel comfortable with any of this, just get a garage to do it, also make sure you tell them the 36mm nut to he disc on should be done to 175nm, if it's overtightened it will destroy your bearing in the disc.

If your discs need replacing, then you don't need the ABS ring from eBay, as the new discs will have them on.

This was the old bracket and new, also old ring and new

View attachment 143280

View attachment 143281

View attachment 143282

View attachment 143283
No problem, any questions just ask away.

The sensors hardly ever go on the rear, it's the brackets rusting and taking the ABS ring with it.

Also a little tip, once you torque the 36mm nut, spin the disc by hand (slowly) it should rotate smooth and free, if not you most likely haven't got the bracket in that groove and/or haven't got bracket pushed all the way back. If you look at my second pic, you'll see round marks on the bracket, that's from me hitting it with a flat punch all the way round, making sure it was seated all the way back.

Once the car is back together and moving smoothly the light might still be on, once you drive over a certain speed it will turn off.

Take your time and make sure everything is put in properly, or you'll destroy another ABS ring and will have to wait for another one and take it apart again.

I hadn't realised you'd linked in the photos when I first read your post.

These really help illustrate what Im going to have to do and will make me more confident carrying it out myself, thanks.

Ill take some pictures when I come to doing the job to mine to demonstrate the state of them.

This is so annoying, I replaced rear discs and pads on mine trying to sort a squeak cause by this problem. After that the squeak continued so I realised these abs plates were the actual cause of the squeak. I bought the new plates but I then had the abs ring worn away on the new disc so I bought a third new disc! I didn’t realise you could buy the abs rings on there own! I threw away a virtually brand new brake disc [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Renault don't sell them, I did a search and luckily found them on eBay, it's same with the stub axle brackets, Renault never sold them on their own until recently, you had to buy the whole stub axle @£180 each or something mad!

So I was able to attempt the job replacing the ABS bracket and the ABS rings, its a timely job working the old ABS brackets from the housing on the Stub Axle but with some patience and some grease penetrator they came off quite cleanly.

The drivers side ABS bracket was way more worn than the passenger side (photo below) but the Hub bolt was really over tightened which helped possibly cause the corrosion on the bracket and deterioration of the ABS ring.

The ABS rings were the wrong size, so gutted so those will have to be returned, I ordered off auto doc, so ill have to sort that.

Thanks for your advise all on this, I followed your advise @suj by tightening the Hub Bold back to 175nm and it spins so smoothly. Ive just got to do it all over again, Ive ordered new rear discs and pads, (the ABS rings look like a right B@£&^ to get off) But at least Ive done the hard part by replacing the ABS brackets.

tempImageEfLoLQ.png
tempImage45sF6Z.png

Reactions: Foxspeed and suj
No problem at all, glad you got it sorted mate, it makes a massive difference to driving too I felt once it moves smoothly, I always thought it was dragging but calipers were new, then when ABS light came on it all made sense!

These rings definitely fit mate, what I put onto mine

I went for a short drive yesterday and although the ABS light came back on, the drive was so much smoother than it was to drive before.

Ive ordered some new disks, the ones Ive got on it tend to stick so I want to progressively upgrade, Ive gone through kamracing, with these

Its such a mine field of options out there so its difficult knowing what to go for.

Thanks for the links though, Ill have 2 spare rear disc's (1 which needs the ABS ring replacing) if any one wants them.

I managed to upgrade the rear discs & pads & it seems to have cleared the ABS error message
The ABS ring on the drivers side was totally worn so I’m not surprised it caused an issue. These are the new discs4E15FA3D-0B7D-4530-A7BE-8C4B57B3A1F3.jpeg

@suj mate... Just wanted to say thanks for the info on this post. I completed passenger rear ABS bracket, disc and pads change today and ESP/ABS light came on instantly - came here to have a look at what I may have missed...

Currently getting ESP/ABS light, it turns off after going down the road at 20mph, then when i hit the brake pedal it starts making a crunching sound, almost like ABS is kicking in, then I take off and get to around 30mph and ESP/ABS light comes back on.

Planning on doing the drivers rear tomorrow but I'll take passenger side apart again and double check everything is fitted perfectly - ABS bracket is sat all the way back, I cleaned up as much rust as I could (they aren't terrible) everything was pretty clean and straight forward... My only question is, when fitting the new disc, is it usually a bit fiddly getting it to slide all the way down? I mean it wasn't difficult but it did take a few seconds get it in the correct position before it finally went on clean/straight.

Again - your help is massively appreciated fella!

Last edited by a moderator:
@suj mate... Just wanted to say thanks for the info on this post. I completed passenger rear ABS bracket, disc and pads change today and ESP/ABS light came on instantly - came here to have a look at what I may have missed...

Currently getting ESP/ABS light, it turns off after going down the road at 20mph, then when i hit the brake pedal it starts making a crunching sound, almost like ABS is kicking in, then I take off and get to around 30mph and ESP/ABS light comes back on.

Planning on doing the drivers rear tomorrow but I'll take passenger side apart again and double check everything is fitted perfectly - ABS bracket is sat all the way back, I cleaned up as much rust as I could (they aren't terrible) everything was pretty clean and straight forward... My only question is, when fitting the new disc, is it usually a bit fiddly getting it to slide all the way down? I mean it wasn't difficult but it did take a few seconds get it in the correct position before it finally went on clean/straight.

Again - your help is massively appreciated fella!

No problem at all, glad it helped.

Did the disc spin freely when you put it back on and torqued it to 175nm? If not it might be the orientation of the bracket, as first time round I was slightly off and I thought it was all the way back, but it actually sat proud and luckily I spun disc by hand and felt resistance straight away, realised what happened.

The disc slid on the stub axle really well on mine, no real resistance, so maybe a bit of grease on it?

Pop some pics (you still got my number, drop me a message if you want a quicker reply), hopefully it's just the driver's side that is badly corroded and new disc etc will fix it.

Reactions: patto07
Did the disc spin freely when you put it back on and torqued it to 175nm? If not it might be the orientation of the bracket, as first time round I was slightly off and I thought it was all the way back, but it actually sat proud and luckily I spun disc by hand and felt resistance straight away, realised what happened.

I think this is it - bracket went on and all the way back but you might be spot on - it may be a few mm out so not 100% seated... Disc did spin but not as freely as you have mentioned - first thing I'll check tomorrow morning!

I'll ping some pics/videos over tomorrow after re-inspection mate. You're a gent - thanks! :smile:

Reactions: 197JST and suj
Just a follow up here - The I didn't seat the ABS bracket back far enough. As a result of this, the rubber/magnetic ring on the disc had rubbed on the ABS bracket and needs replacing... Bit annoying but lesson learned!

Tip: Once you get the ABS bracket fitted and you think it's on properly, get a flat-head screwdriver and a hammer and carefully tap it so it's seated all the way back!

Thanks for all the help @suj! :smile: