Preventative rear disc maintenance (ABS Sensor/Ring)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Steering' started by DS197, Feb 3, 2017.

1. DS197

DS197 POTM Winner - June 2017 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Thought I'd flag this up as a potential issue 197 members may face which is the ABS sensor "housing" on the rear stub axles.

I had an ESP/ABS fault which upon reading the fault code turned out to be the OSR speed sensor/ABS sensor. After a visual inspection the ABS ring had actually fallen off the disc. So I ordered a pair of new rear discs, and that's when the cause of the problem was found. The round disc on the stub axle, to which the abs sensor sits on was corroded to the point where it was making contact with the abs ring, causing it to fall off.

Stub axles can be purchased separately for the 197, however I was lucky that the corrosion could be cut out without affecting the integrity of the sensor housing. There is another thread about a member who had a similar problem (http://www.clio197.net/threads/abs-help.55212/). I thought it's more than a coincidence and most likely an age related problem. Worth having a look for those with older 197s (mine is a late 2007) as simply replacing the discs without cutting out the corrosion/replacing the stub axle will only result in another set of discs being required.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Two Techs in Dartford for their continuous help and assistance, these guys never disappoint and are definitely worth travelling to :smile:

CJ197, Yiannis197, Pav and 2 others like this.

2. Jimmy

Jimmy Good cop Administrator

Good find Davinder, thanks for letting us know about this - there's quite a lot of us who could well be in the window for this part corroding on our cars!

I'll make this thread a sticky so it's more easily visible.

DS197 likes this.
  3. DS197

DS197 POTM Winner - June 2017 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    No problem Jimmy, hopefully this thread can be of some help to everyone on here! :smile:

Jimmy likes this.
  4. Doogle

Doogle Winner - POTM March 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    Out of curiosity did you ever find a source for the metal discs? I wondered about getting an engineer friend make up some stainless discs to fit on, the issue being the interference fit and the rust already present.