197: Really missed the 197 at the weekend

I was travelling onto the A11 the other day on a slip road that banks down a sweeping bend. In the 197 I used to love blasting past people on it (its 2 lane) but the other day I missed the Clio more than I have before. I was in the fast lane in the Beemer as I was getting past some traffic when I saw lights in my rear view, very close. I pulled over to let them past and it was a done-up corsa, on coilovers I think that got past me. Didn't shame me, he was on the inside of the corner and I noticed it twitching a bit and I got past him again when we got onto the A11, but I know he wouldn't have got past at all if I was in the Clio lol.

I only regret getting rid of it a little bit and only occasionly as I had to change my car due to costs really. I will get another one someday and would love to drive one again to remind me!

I always find the clio is fantastic on high speed sweeping bends and really slingshots its way out of them!! :smiley:

I reckon I'll miss it when it goes too but thats not for a while yet :smile:

I have never drove a car that can carry so much speed into a corner. The car is so planted, you have to drive one to believe it. I had a BMW 330d behind me the other day. Had he been in front i would of not have stood a chance. He was in my boot. We got on the straight and i booted my car. He was never more than a car length behind. Three corners, three roundabouts later and he was nowhere to be seen. I slowed down and 5 seconds later he went flying past.

Not being able to drive off the last 14 months I know how you feel especially like you say when little knob heads pulling along side you wanting to give it some

Renault sport are the kings on handling in my eyes especially for little hot hatch's as the clio sport 197 & 200 models. :smile: That's why I don't want to change the clio's suspension to be fair as it's set up as standard by the professionals.

The handling is the bit that makes me smile the most! I'll go out when it's empty and just be like 'f*ck this is good' lol!! :smile: I've driven loads of similar class cars and one above but the clio's just get me every time!

i have just driven back from work through swithland forrest and had the time of my life :smile:

Renault sport are the kings on handling in my eyes especially for little hot hatch's as the clio sport 197 & 200 models. :smile: That's why I don't want to change the clio's suspension to be fair as it's set up as standard by the professionals.
+1 for the standard setup. It's stating the bloody obvious but we all live for corners. If the straights were so important I would go back to turbo power.

I had a Fiesta ST pull up along side me on a slip road the other day. Destroyed the crap out of him round the corners (and the straights). I love the car so much :smiley:

Ha reminds me of when we took mine for a test drive the salesman said "im not taking you on the carridgeways any car nowadays can do 100mph, i'll take you on the 'B' roads
Once out of town he told me to "drive it like i stole it"!
I thought i was pushing it but he was egging me to go even faster!
When we got back i couldn't stop shaking!
As marv has said i'll go back to turbo power for straight line speed
Had the 200 for nearly 4 months now and i aint stopped grinning yet!

To be fair that's quite irresponsible of the salesman not knowing your driving ability or that you don't know the car but hey! Turned out alright in the end lol!