R20 BTG - 200 Cup Track Car Blog

It’s looking great mate... I know the big brake kit looks tempting :smiley:

Sorry to hear about your brothers friend!

Should’ve gone orange cage tho lol

Am jealous about the ZPO you’ll have to let me have a go :wink:

Reactions: RSRowe and R20BTG
Next the car was masked up for paint. Matt had removed the pedals and loom, taken off all the sound deadening. Primer went on (the primer colour gave it a bit of a khaki Ariel Nomad vibe!):

4061d249b76f4085bb9f485d4498bd40.jpg

cbdfa40b97e80e29a98207c5ab625256.jpg

dcb84e32ca12ead5e5042c81be24fdb1.jpg

6ada6cbf1bc5851e359f148351689b7c.jpg

1a45490dbfd1b98e182df09f48f2ec47.jpg

323f72d949e0f51957812e96eb5bb636.jpg

6d8034ad9dbba0ef01ac9cae01f482fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up so far Iain!

This had been a nice little project get some more of the money shots up.

The car defiantly needed an orange cage but I have to say the current colour does look nice.

Reactions: R20BTG
Good looking build this one. Be nice when it’s finished and Matt finally(!) gets his done to do a track day together. I’ll tag along with beany and bring up the rear:thumb:

Reactions: R20BTG and Beany
It’s going be a shame getting it dirty :tearsofjoy:
You got any trips planned in it? Or concentrating on getting it finished first?

It’s going be a shame getting it dirty :tearsofjoy:
You got any trips planned in it? Or concentrating on getting it finished first?

Nothing planned yet, waiting for 2021 dates to be announced. I’d like to do a couple of DN days at the Nurburgring, and try and combine that with Spa. Plus do the tours around the UK track days. I’d like to get around one track day per month done next year but that will be tough. I’ve got two young kids to juggle and we’ve had a couple of trips cancelled in 2020 that we’ve postponed to 2021, I reckon it will be a busy year. Being based up north, I’d imagine it will be a combo of Cadwell/Oulton/Anglesey/Donington. Maybe a shakedown at Bedford to keep things simple in the first instance.

Reactions: RSRowe
Awesome. DN events are too rich for me :tearsofjoy:
Where abouts are you based? Oulton and Donington are my locals. Blyton Park wouldn’t be a bad place for you to shake down either.

Awesome. DN events are too rich for me :tearsofjoy:
Where abouts are you based? Oulton and Donington are my locals. Blyton Park wouldn’t be a bad place for you to shake down either.

Not too far from Sheffield. The DN days are expensive, easier to swallow if you share the cost with a mate though. Prefer them to TF these days due to ever decreasing driving standards over there.

Reactions: RSRowe
You’re not too far away from me.

You’re completely right. Standards have been pretty horrific over there on TF of recent. I had a guy shoot up the inside of me coming through Hatzenbach on my last trip.
I’m a peasant so the Circuit Days dates over there have to suffice.

Some not-so-sexy shots today, in dropping the gearbox for the installation of the Gripper diff, it was found that the sump was wet from an oil leak and the rad support bar was rotten. I've ordered an alloy replacement from Wheeler Motorsport. Matt also had difficulties undoing the copper brake lines to the rear calipers, so I've asked him to make up new ones for both sides whilst he's at it.

8790c9d3-0d28-4ad1-bc32-e92475d4c3ef.jpgf3d89064-dd85-447f-acc7-5431a113de47.jpgc9235b77-6b82-41a8-95e0-5c17fae9dc1a.jpg

A distinct lack of sexy pictures while I wait for the behind the scenes stuff to be done. The last set of pictures discovered a coating of oil around the sump. I've given Supreme Motorsport the go ahead to replace the crank seal, which means the flywheel has to come off, but it makes sense to do it when the gearbox is off. Matt is also dropping the sump and replacing the sump gasket too. Which then means an oil and filter change! At the moment I think he was waiting on the parts from Renault.

The gearbox came off and was stripped ready for refurb and installation of the Gripper diff. Matt sent me some pictures, the internals of a gearbox is like witchcraft to me, but at least now I know what a collapsed bearing looks like (the text read "Good job we stripped your box, look at the state of it!"):

393cfa89-666b-4044-bdb5-cd3f321d9aae.jpg

It also showed signs of being run low on oil at some point it is life, leading to black heat marks on some of the gears and selector forks (which I'm told should be brass coloured:

5e69ec76-2221-423b-8d4b-2701f8bd4fad.jpg
0ae339c6-5a08-4108-af14-9d55953f187f.jpg

Cleaned up:

1419a3f0-1f4c-415e-8c8f-62670c5a6b72.jpg

I'm also waiting for the carbon dash console and dash strips to be returned from Project Carbon, and the front and rear calipers to be repainted by Voodoo Paintworks.

I bought a couple of sets of DS1.11 pads to go in, one got shipped directly to Supreme Motorsport and one set is now in my spares box.

Similar Thread Suggestions