Quick question - MOT failure. Front springs broken.

I had to have a few other items but nothing major. I'll dig out the invoice to know exactly but it was over £800. Thought I would get them do do it as I'm only down the road from them and the first time the car had any work done since I brought it. Thought it would be in safe hands but didn't bank on the safe hands being made of gold.

Hi @montana I removed the wiper arms and then I removed the pinch bolts from the struts, the pinch bolts where very tight but a bit of persuasion and they moved. I then disconnected the steering column from under the drivers footwell .then I removed the track rod ends. I then put a transmission stand under the subframe and lower the subframe down about 20 inches enough to give the carriers a chap down of the struts then 3x 13 mm nuts on each side removes the strut from the car. We have a spring compressor in work to change spring the refitted in the same order. All in took about 3 hours. If you need to know anything else just let me know mate.

Seems a long winded way of doing it to me?

I did a spring on my 197, I just disconected the hub from the bottom arm which gave me loads of room.

There is a few ways to do it mate. Only took about 2-3 hours for all 4 spring wich I thought wasn't to bad! Although on my 172 it took about an hour lol. [MENTION=4181]Chrisgti6[/MENTION] was your 2 pinch bolts seized ? Mines were solid!

Hi Chaps,

I wanted to pop back in and thank everyone who replied. Some good solid advice here. Wish I had the time to be as active on here as I once was.

Rightly or wrongly I needed to make sure the car was back on the road quicker than the 10 days I'd of waited on Renault. Heading to wales for 3 days with the mountain bike and couldn't afford to wait long or wait until the last minute. So I went with the KTEC and service quotes I'd got - although I did get a discount from the dealer for fitting the springs (the dealer offered to match my quoted price and for some reason already had the car in pieces on the ramp). KTEC delivered the parts the next day and I took them into the dealer and had the car back last night.

Here's a quick photo I took of her as I arrived at the dealer last night.

attachment.php

I've also seen the old springs and can confirm they were very, very broken! God knows how that didn't translate to the wheel.

Attachments

• 12107802_10153283066092807_8564687890916315623_n.jpg
    12107802_10153283066092807_8564687890916315623_n.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 59

Similar Thread Suggestions