Polishing

Hello, my rs200 is from 2010 year. So i planned after the winter to get it polished. Would it be better to polish it by hand or with a machine polisher?
One more q: anyone heard about cleaning the car paint with clay?

thanks!

Yep it's best to clay bar your car first get all the crap out the paint
As for polishing it's Easter doing it by a polisher but if you ain't got one hands will do:thumbup:

good luck with the clay bar if u want to scratch yr car up! all u do with these is drag grit across yr paint surface,decon gel is the future for me,removes all kinds of fallout without having to touch the painted surface

good luck with the clay bar if u want to scratch yr car up! all u do with these is drag grit across yr paint surface,decon gel is the future for me,removes all kinds of fallout without having to touch the painted surface
That's a new one never heard that one clay scratches your car????
I call in the Russ to answer that one

That's a new one never heard that one clay scratches your car????
I call in the Russ to answer that one

Yeah first I've heard of it Roy. Seen russ always clay on the cars he does, so I thought it was just the norm... Only scratch if it's not done properly I guess?

There are many threads on DW around this clay will never be replaced with decon gel or similar as it is not a deep surface cleaner and does not get into the deep paint work etc and as said if used properlly clay will not damage the car.

have a search on DW for more info.

If u use clay wrong it will, I've never had an issue with it scratching. That's why u use quick detailed and use light motions to lift it and not drag it across.

Use clay correctly it's fine, but if you don't it can scratch I've never had a problem myself. Polishing is far easier by machine, if you have one and are confident enough

I have never heard clay scratching paint before!!! All the Detailers use it with no problems. Thousands of people on DW use it with no problems!

I've used it on all my cars with no problem!

Love the stuff, so easy to use with amazing results!!!

First time I hear clay scratch paintwork, sound like you are talking rubbish. :001_rolleyes:

Do it right without scratch.

Doing wrong it will scratch.

I understand your logic, but somehow (and i wish i knew how!) clay doesn't scratch the paintwork at all. As long as the car is thoroughly cleaned then rinsed before the claying begins and you keep folding the bar then you can't really go wrong.

The clay is lifting bonded contamination from your paintwork. This contamination then moulds itself into the clay itself so it therefore lifted, or at worst flush with, the flat surface making contact with your paint. To minimise risk, you should fold your claybar to keep the active surface as clean as possible.

Most of the risk of 'scratching' would come from removing larger spots of tar, which take a few passes to remove via clay. Using a fallout remover will not remove tar, so suggesting that they are the future and that you stop scratches in this way doesn't make sense to me, but I'm always open to suggestion and new ideas.

To decontaminate a surface safely, I would also recommend removing the fallout AND the tar first, using dedicated products (such as IronX and Tardis). The order in which you use these does not matter. THEN, you use a claybar to remove anything else left. You will have removed 90%+ of the contamination from the first two steps of the process, so the clay bar shouldn't lift too much, but it still tends to lift SOMETHING so is therefore still required.

As for polishing, you can get decent results by hand but you will never be able to achieve the finish of a machine polisher. It is however less risky and arguably easier by hand. It depends on your skill level and budget I suppose.