paint or powdercoat

Hello,

Im having my speedlines done in white however do I have them powdercoated white or do I get them painted white?

Rich

Powder coating is more durable however once it goes off (fades or chips) its a total coont of a job to remove it and redo. It's known as the devils coating to painters (I read a link on here I'm sure explaining why in depth).

I'd go for paint. You could try Spray Shack. I'm sure it was him that explained why powdercoating wasnt as good.

Found his explanation:

"To be honest with you, power coat is the DEVILS COATING! if its apply right it can give a really nice very durablefinish, but generally its used in industry for a quick cheap coating and has texturing. The main problem with power coat is the limited range of colours, and you cant match wheels to the car bodywork.

Its also the WORST thing ever to remove should you want to strip and start again. Id always use a 2K finish over power coat........"

the many sets of wheels i have had painted, i always paint, rather than powdercoat.

for me seems to have a better finish, more choice of colours etc

My preference would be for powder coating, unless they were just for show. Powder coating is just more durable and things that would chip a painted surface just bounce off. With paint I'd be concerned with it's ability to handle high temps as well.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but they were powder coated previously. I would expect any powder coater would acid dip to remove the existing coating before re-coating.

Nope, these are the Cup Racers that he bought from me. I had them powder coated, though IIRC they had been powder coated gloss black before I had them done anthracite.

Have them painted, the temperatures required to cure the powder coating can weaken your wheels.

2-300 degrees, it's hardly going to do much unless the wheels have previously been repaired or already have stress fractures and shouldnt be used anyway.

Never knew that Ralphy, to be safe I'd be making sure they're cured under 200deg.

That's below the ductile region for aluminium alloys, no structural damage will result to the wheel.

So if they have been powder coated before then its probably best they are powder coated again? The costing is much different really :smile:

Does paint chip easily? Also, does the entire wheel get done, or only the outer face? (On both)

Does paint chip easily? Also, does the entire wheel get done, or only the outer face? (On both)

had mine done by spray shack around october or november cannot remmber exactly and they're still top job:smile: the whole wheel was done as i went from silver to black,

if you have any queries or questions just give simon a ring he'll give you some good advice and explain much better than most of us as he's a pro

A bit off topic (only a bit).

I honestly thought powder-coating was the way forward. Clearly, it has the forum divided.

What would people recommend for brake callipers?

I had my Clio alloys powder coated and they looked amazing IMO. The finish was so good and deep. They still looked like new when I sold it after about 6-8 months.