paint or powder coat?

MikeLYR27

Supercharged Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Im picking up some cup racer speedlines tomorrow and want to get them done in satin black.

What will look best, painted or powder coated? Dont really no anything about this. Any difference on looks, condition after time etc?

Cheers :smile:

Cheers dude :smile: Is it cheaper/ more expensive, or is the difference in the finish? I'll get myself a quote next week :smile:

Powdercoat is said to be more durable. However, should they fade, scuff or go off the job to re-do them is a lot harder.

I'd send 'em to Spray Shack mate. I assume this is for your new Cup racers? What colour you going for?

From the man himself:

To be honest with you, power coat is the DEVILS COATING! if its apply right it can give a really nice very durablefinish, but generally its used in industry for a quick cheap coating and has texturing. The main problem with power coat is the limited range of colours, and you cant match wheels to the car bodywork.

Its also the WORST thing ever to remove should you want to strip and start again. Id always use a 2K finish over power coat........

never had any issues with mine and the ones that i did were sorted under warranty - all 4 got re-ferbed

removing the coating is either chemical or blasting...

never had any rough finish on mine.....must have been done by a place that knew what they were doing!

Not to be funny but I really don't think that statement by SprayShack is correct.

Just sent mine off to Lepsons, should be back any day now. Do lots of research on the place where you are going to send them to and you will be fine.

Yeah for the new one matey. I want them in satin black like my standard speedlines. Think they look better, gloss is a bit to much.

Cheers for all the advice guys think ill message spray shack and a few others and see what the outcome is :smile:

Powder coat if ur are ok to pay for it. And as foxspeed said its not hard to get off with the right methods. Finish should be fine too. I would expect most well established coaters to do a top job. Spray shak has a point on ease of colour matching though..

My opinion. I work in a paintshop, thought id send my mini wheels to powder coat as it was too busy to sneak them in. biggest mistake ive ever made, dull finish and just dont look as good as basecoat and laquer. sure its durable but i just wanst impressed.

Got my speedlines painted satin black by Simon at Spray Shack. Nice finish, although I've mangled/stripped paint off a few of the bolt holes when using a dog-leg breaking bar. Got to get them touched up next time I go back to Leominster.

I'd go with powdercoating. It's not that expensive, I paid £130 for 17'' s and the finish is just as good as a spray! Very happy with it!

I had my raiders power coated and the finish is really good on them, 12 months on and all I've got on them is one tiny scuff (not sure how it appeared??)

I'd go powdercoat over paint personally.

Had all 4 of mine done by Metal Magic in Barnsley 2 years ago and the finish is far better than the original Renault factory finish.

Think it depends on who does the work.

Think it depends on who does the work.

spot on, sprayshack is biased obviously because thats there line of work. Having spoken to people who have won awards for powdercoating wheels they say painting is very old fashion, and they can get as good a finish with powdercoating and it wont chip as easily.

But of course, each person is gonna push thir own product. If its just a normal colour your going for id powdercoat them. My opinion.

Powder coating is best I think - that's what i'm having mine done.

But if you want a glossy colour, then I dare say paiting may be better?

Who ever you get to do them go and stand over them and watch everything they do :tongueout:

Seriously sometimes I think its easier to just buy new ones lol I have had problems with almost everyone I have dealt with when it comes to wheels.

My Clio wheels were a terrible finish as standard, the paint was so thin and rubbish. The powdercoat was amazing compared. I couldn't believe how deep and wet they looked, I was really impressed. Only had them for 6 months or so before I sold the car, but they still looked brand new.