Painful reading!!

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
Clicky

This bit is shocking:
The average cost of an insurance policy for a Renault Clio for a 17-year-old female is £2,911.01 per year whereas the average for a 17-year-old male is £5,232.56, according to the AA.

Ouch!

I'm 19 with 2 years no claims and pay £1350 which some may find extortionate but I'm quite happy with the price! but it is a bit unfair the difference between male and female!

I know another :wink:

They were supposed to be making the gap equal as of last year/ earlier this year - clearly a load of bull as usual!!!

Storm mine was about the same the first year I had the Clio, stick with at as mine is now half what it was. I know what you mean though as it isnt a bad price considering the car...

I like the use of the word 'average' though, who ever late the average price!? I still get quotes up to £10k so I guess my average wont be far off despite it only costing me £640. :smile:

I like the use of the word 'average' though, who ever late the average price!? I still get quotes up to £10k so I guess my average wont be far off despite it only costing me £640. :smile:

But does it mean average quote or average purchased policy?

I paid about £1.2k for my first car 5 years ago as a 17 year old, I'd hope policies haven't increased 4 fold since then

But does it mean average quote or average purchased policy?

I paid about £1.2k for my first car 5 years ago as a 17 year old, I'd hope policies haven't increased 4 fold since then

That is sort of my point. I think that it has got to be the average offered by all companies one one scenario. Nobody would insure if it was £4.5k! It is just an attention grabbing headline.

4. Telematics for young drivers
Insurethebox launched the concept of the telematic smartbox in June last year and other companies such as Young Marmalade and the Co-Operative have followed its lead. The telematic smartbox can be installed into a young driver's car and enables the insurer to monitor how the car is being driven.
If you are a conscientious driver your annual policy can be reduced by amounts of up to £300. The smartbox monitors things including the braking and acceleration, speed, cornering and time of day and sends the results to the insurance company, driver and the driver's parents.

HAHA.. If they saw my cornering I'd be hung, drawn and quartered :wink:

You can ALWAYS tell which youngsters have got those boxes in the cars, most youngsters do more than 70MPH on the motorway/dual carriageway, but yesterday when I joined the A23, there was a lad with all his mates in a 1,2 clio eyeing up the 197 - I was only doing 60, he was behind, but he "stopped" going faster when he hit bang on 70.

Must have had a box in it :wink:

My nephew has had one of these fitted on his brand new corsa
17 yrs old quote was £5000 before with it fitted £1800
Can't use it between the hours of 20.00 and 06.00 or if he does cost £100 an hour.think it's a good idea myself at least it gets his costs down