"Oil Pressure Fault" message

Strange one....

Changed oil and filter, Used Millers CFS 5w40 oil.

when cold, but not every time, when around 2000 rpm and ONLY if going round a right hand bend the stop light comes on and the message "Oil Pressure Fault" is shown in the display. no problem at all when hot.

Have tried new oil pressure switch, changed oil and filter again, also had the oil checked and it is what it says on the bottle!

any one help with this random intermittant fault?

Regards
Tony

Don't know enough about oil problems on this specific engine unfortunately.

From the sounds of it if it's when cornering seems like not enough oil pick up... (common in race cars which would have a baffled sump)
but I'm assuming you have checked the oil level as you seem to know what your doing.

does worry me that when it's cold it's only happening which points to viscosity or grade of oil... have you tried a OE recommended oil just to rule it out???

Did you keep an eye on the oil level before and now?? is it leaking?, any blue smoke, oil in water, leaks externally etc?? doubt it but worth checking.

Seems like you have also changed the obvious, the oil pressure sender. Also worth checking the wire to this, maybe get a multi meter on it for continuety etc.

Could be a blockage somewhere, you could try and oil flush but seeing as this is your second time I doubt you wan to do it again.

Apart from that only suspect is the oil pump itself..

Last edited:
Thanks, it is 4th lot of oil to be honest, sent a sample back to Millers for them to check and it is OK, thought 5-40 was the recomended oil?

Oil level is spot on, put 4.2 l in and does not move on dipstick, has had 4 oil changes in 1000 miles and a flush, just seems strange it has only done it since an oil change, I always crank it to get the pressure up before starting as well, and also only when cold, oil pressure is normaly better when cold!

Regards
Tony

you really need to put/pipe a gauge on and see whats happening with the pressure reading

you have done all the basics what i would have done

once you establish the pressure from the gauge then you can decide if its a sump off job and a faulty pick up pipe or even sticking oil pressure relief valve (this will work more when oil is cold)

Thanks for that, don't suppose you know the thread size for the switch? can see if I have a take off laying around for a gauge, what would normal oil pressure be on these?.

Regards
Tony

Thanks for that, don't suppose you know the thread size for the switch? can see if I have a take off laying around for a gauge, what would normal oil pressure be on these?.

Regards
Tony

sorry i dont know thread - oil take off kits usually have a fitting that will go in

as for pressure not sure - i have a pdf file on the 182 fr4 so will see what thats says - it wont be a long way away from those

data for fr4 730 engine 182 clio

engine warm 80*c

idle = 1bar (15psi)

3000rpm = 3bar (45psi)

ive just read in another thread that its 5.2 litres of oil you change with a filter not 4.2 litres, you have to account for 0.5 litres for the filter so will only have 3.7 litres in the sump

sorry, my sausage fingers.... 4.7L of oil is whats in, will do some more tests.

Thanks for the help so far.

Regards
Tony

Had a look at the weekend, not an engine I have ever worked on before, used to working on Toyota...

Was going to take out the pressure releive valve and give a clean, have heard these can stick?
BUT could not find it, so presume the oil pump is in the sump?

If I am going to take the sump off to check I may as well replace the pump, it is approaching cambelt time as well, so may as well do this at the same time.

Where do you Guys recomend for parts?
Looking for
oil pump
Water pump
Cambelt kit
is there a sump gasket or is it RTV sealer?
Anything else needed to do these jobs?

Regards
Tony

Had a look at the weekend, not an engine I have ever worked on before, used to working on Toyota...

Was going to take out the pressure releive valve and give a clean, have heard these can stick?
BUT could not find it, so presume the oil pump is in the sump?

If I am going to take the sump off to check I may as well replace the pump, it is approaching cambelt time as well, so may as well do this at the same time.

Where do you Guys recomend for parts?
Looking for
oil pump
Water pump
Cambelt kit
is there a sump gasket or is it RTV sealer?
Anything else needed to do these jobs?

Regards
Tony

I would always use genuine parts where possible. They meet higher sign off criteria, have to fill warranty criteria and thusly often better quality than aftermarket. Iworked for a large motorcar manufacturer and you wouldn't believe the sign off needed for OE parts compared to aftermarket. Especially for a cambelt as well. (unless you find aquality performance alternative)

For the cambelt - your braver than me if you are going to attempt this yourself. Hardest one I have ever carried out was an Mi16 and that took me a day - this looks worse on paper just because it's really tight. just changing the alternator looks like front bumper off job.

You would need engine timing and locking tools for holding the camshaft/crank, tensioning tools for the Cam belt, tensioning tool for aux drive belt, plus a whole host of other good tools.

Not sure about the pump, like you guessing it's in the sump.

could there be to much oil in there been half litre of oil extra, just wondering if its over pressurising?

oil pump is in the sump driven by a chain off the bottom pulley

197 has more room than a peugeot

as for overfilled - it would cause oil to be sucked in to the engine breather system - and possible oil buring.....just a good job its not a diesel ;/

oil pressure is regulated by a pressure relief valve in the oil pump - its only usually used when cold as the oil is a bit "thicker"

Could be this as it only happens when cold,
will get a new pump and change it, only want to take sump off once!

Anyone on here sell discounted Renault parts?

Again, thanks for the help.

Regards
Tony

Bit of an update....
Oil pressure is really good, 22 psi hot on idle, 75 psi when hot at 3K revs.

Tracked it to a damaged / broken wire in the main loom, where the loom goes across the front of the engine under the inlet manifold, will be an easy fix, just need to find a few spare hours to tackle it.

But main thing is the fault has been found.

Regards
Tony