Newbie with a few questions

Hi guys recently became the owner of a 197, its my first "decent" car if you like and i am overall pretty happy with it. It has a few knocks and bangs occasionally which seem pretty common from reading on here, and the odd time when booting it round a corner it judders abit, but overall i love it.

But one main concern is that im not sure if it is as quick as it should be. Ok its quicker than my crap 307 diesel (what isnt lol) but it seems somewhat underwhelming. My mate has an astra 1.9 cdti 150 and i would say that feels faster in all areas, especially top end, as my clio seems to almost give up at about 120mph. And if im honest the acceleration isnt amazing.

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with it? Im willing to but a bit of time effort and money into it coz i do love it, i just want it to be as good as it is designed to be.

Also does anyone no of any decent renault/sport places around the doncaster and yorkshire region.

Any comments and help much appreciated guys, love to forum too!

Personally, I would say it's hard to comment without more figures/facts. If you feel it's slow, that could all be down to what you have driven before, what your expectations were, etc, etc...

I would try get it on a rolling road and get some read outs and work from there.

Your 0-60 should be about 6.5 seconds if Parkers is anything to go by, BTW.

Hi guys recently became the owner of a 197, its my first "decent" car if you like and i am overall pretty happy with it. It has a few knocks and bangs occasionally which seem pretty common from reading on here, and the odd time when booting it round a corner it judders abit, but overall i love it.

But one main concern is that im not sure if it is as quick as it should be. Ok its quicker than my crap 307 diesel (what isnt lol) but it seems somewhat underwhelming. My mate has an astra 1.9 cdti 150 and i would say that feels faster in all areas, especially top end, as my clio seems to almost give up at about 120mph. And if im honest the acceleration isnt amazing.

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with it? Im willing to but a bit of time effort and money into it coz i do love it, i just want it to be as good as it is designed to be.

Also does anyone no of any decent renault/sport places around the doncaster and yorkshire region.

Any comments and help much appreciated guys, love to forum too!

To be honest mate I just don't think they're that fast, had mine a couple months and everytime I drive it it feels like its not as fast as it should be. Best thing for you to do is get a couple of dyno runs and see what sort of power its making, at least you'll know then. I came from a 270+ bhp Audi S3 too so the Clio feels especially flat to me, mpg is exactly the same too (24mpg)??!!

Last edited:
Okay then guys thanks for the speedy replies! I dont know if its just me but somedays it feels quicker than others, not sure if this is possible lol. Maybe it is running okay and im expecting abit too much but surley it would beat a 150 astra diesel???

I guess i will get it on a dyno and see what she can do, ive heard about rstuning in leeds i know they have a good rep, anyone no of anywhere else i could take around doncaster/yorkshire and how much should i expect to pay for a dyno run?

Also my car is a 56 plate with about 48000 miles on it, what kind of power should a healthy 197 this age produce as im sure they loose a few horses over they years.

Cheers :smile:

To me the clio feels fast and I came from a Fiesta ST. I wouldnt have thought it would have lost too many horses as its not exactly old being on a 56 plate. RS Tuning does have a good rep on here, will be going there myself at some point for a remap. Im putting mine on a RR a week on Saturday to see what its putting out. The RR im going to is very cheap at £30, its nothing special but it does what it says on the tin at the end of the day lol

Okay then guys thanks for the speedy replies! I dont know if its just me but somedays it feels quicker than others, not sure if this is possible lol. Maybe it is running okay and im expecting abit too much but surley it would beat a 150 astra diesel???

I guess i will get it on a dyno and see what she can do, ive heard about rstuning in leeds i know they have a good rep, anyone no of anywhere else i could take around doncaster/yorkshire and how much should i expect to pay for a dyno run?

Also my car is a 56 plate with about 48000 miles on it, what kind of power should a healthy 197 this age produce as im sure they loose a few horses over they years.

Cheers :smile:

Mines also '56 plate (34k) and also feels slow or fast randomly. If my old 172 Cup was anything to go by then the engine May loosen up over time and get a bit stronger with age, my Cup pulled like an absolute train.

You're probably looking at £40-60 for a couple of power runs. Having mine done in a couple weeks when the cam belts done, be interesting to see what going on under the bonnet.

Oh yes and what fuel economy do you guys get mine loves a drink! Its averages around 24mpg and i dont thrash it everywhere by no means

Okay chris where abouts is this 30quid, are u in yorkshire? I only want a cheap quick run for an estimate so i can see if it is down on power and then work from there.

Any ideas what the problem would be if it was down?

RS Tuning its your best bet in the area... Best thing to do is get the car on a B road, then you'll see how quick it really is, not many cars can be chucked round a corner with such speed.

On a dyno you'd be looking at anything thing between 180-195, don't be fooled by the 197 badge

Mikeanics in Congleton

Whats the service history like? Hasnt missed any has it, or is one due?

Im getting 27mpg at the mo and thats with careful driving Monday-Friday with fun and frollics on Saturday & Sunday

Okay chris where abouts is this 30quid, are u in yorkshire? I only want a cheap quick run for an estimate so i can see if it is down on power and then work from there.

Any ideas what the problem would be if it was down?

Mikeanics in Congleton

Whats the service history like? Hasnt missed any has it, or is one due?

Im getting 27mpg at the mo and thats with careful driving Monday-Friday with fun and frollics on Saturday & Sunday

My service is all up do date and it gets driven 80% under 3500rpm and 20% thrashing and once it settles it always stays on 24mpg.

Full history with a couple of main dealer stamps and just had one by the indpendant i bought it off (or so they say lol, i never trust those people)

Im off to work soon so will try a 0-60 run and see what she gets

welcome fella :thumbup:

are you using ALL the rev range.......

mine can potter around town in 6th gear at 30mph and then when on a b-road sing round to 7600rpm pulling like a train :foxspeed:

Its a different world since these were released in 2006/7. Most modern day none sports cars are close to 200 bhp.

The Clio is fast but you have to drive it on the edge and like you stole it. Can make you look like a idiot if you drive it like that all the time and bring you unwanted attention. In the real world, you'll find most will live with it. Show it some bends and most won't.

A better track car for peanuts you wont find. After months of moaning bout its not fast enough, I'm keeping mine and am learning how to get the best of it. It lacks really low end torque, but once you get these things going, the speed you can take it to and how keep it keeps the speed constant is stupid. There really isn't any need for a brake pedal in these at times. A-B is super-car fast on the twisties.

Last edited:
I have come from a 265bhp astra vxr where i was averaging 21.5mpg to a 197bhp clio and so far i have driven it like i have stole it and i am staggered that i am still getting 29.1 mpg :smiley:

But the power as i have found out is in the upper band of the rev range, have to say i am loving the clio and not missing the astra ao far. :smile:

It's fast enough just take it on the B roads with all the twists and then come back and say its not a fast fooker it's a fun motor to drive ENJOY IT

Make sure its warmed up before giving it some... i was shocked at how **** these are when theyre cold lol!!!! my old 1.4 wouldve ate the r27 from cold :tongueout:

if you think somethings wrong with it, take it to paul at rstuning

Just spend more time learning how it likes to be driven mate.

I've gradually 'downgraded' my cars relative to power/tax/mpg from a 350Z (big lazy V6/297bhp/24mpg) then to a Focus ST (2.5 turbo 5cyl/225bhp/25mpg) to the Clio 200 (errr.....26-27mpg lol).

Totally different way of driving the Clio to the other two but guess what....the Clio is by far the best car to drive on a day to day basis. Might be technically slower and less powerful but that's not really the point of it tbh!

Just explore the upper rev range and throw her into a few corners :wink:

Cheers guys i think its probably running how it should as its in really good nick inside and out as far a i can see and has full service history, may still take it to rstuning and see why shes kicking out. I will post again with power results!

welcome fella :thumbup:

are you using ALL the rev range.......

I was going to ask how high he's reving it too, and what fuel he's using?

It took me a while to get used to reving it to the end as just watching the road and listening to the revs made me change gear early.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O New Members 3
Paul_D New Members 3
lou tennant New Members 13
T New Members 17
S New Members 20