Newbie, looking to buy for trackday fun

Hey all,

not quite a 197 owner as yet, but ive started my hunt over the last week, starting to read up on the diferent specs, find out what is and isnt needed, and doing my best to understand the different cup and f1 specs that are advertised.

i currently have a 182 Trophy, fully dedicated track car and is no longer road legal, literally comes out of the unit and on to the trailer when we head off to the ring or trackdays, purely as a bit of a fun car.

ive threatened myself most of this year that as autumn creeps in ill hunt for a 197, then over winter ill break and sell off everything from the Trophy and build up the 197 ready for spring 2014, and hopefully have myself a good trackday season during 2014 with the new toy.

with that all in mind, ive started my searching, i aim to have a 197 on the driveway within 2 weeks if i can make it happen, allow the misses to use it for a couple of months as i finish this year with the Trophy and start sourcing bits for the new car, so come the end of October when i return from our last ring trip of the year i can pull the 197 in the unit next to the Trophy and commence work.
looking for one in as good a condition as i can find, one which isnt starship mileage but running healthy with a cared for engine (within reason atleast, ie: serviced, belts etc etc) so it can be a good platform to build upon, with a budget for the initial car purchase of around 6 - 7k.

its just the task of understanding which are which, such as what the cup packs offer, if they will be a benefit in the long run or if they will restrict the buying options at a later date.
if the F1's are worth buying, or if once stripped and pulled apart will the extra features now have proven a worthless purchase.
which models are actually the best base to take this project on with, so be prepared for me popping up with possibly many a daft question as i find my feet with a new toy, but i will try the search function first :smile:

other than that, if there are any track day go'ers, ill aim to see and meet you all during the new year and have sme fun

cheers
Kelvin.

Welcome along.

I'd say if your looking to strip it then paying the extra for an F1 won't be worth it, as you've pointed out you'll be removing most of the luxuries anyway. Having said that you may have trouble finding a normal 197 cup as they are rarer than the ltd edition F1.

Another option could be to wait a little while and purchase one of the many cup race cars that will come available once the season is over. The Clio Cup series is changing over to the new Mk4 Clio next year so there may be some bargains available.

i have actually found a car thats appealing to me at present, even tho its possibly the wrong choice for the future plans.

but the F1 Team clio's, are these basically the R27?
its not advertised as a R27, but as a 197 F1 team car.

ive tried to search, but still reading through the buyers guide and bits at the moment.

5th paragraph of the buyers guide....:wink:

Not quite the same as with the megs were they did an f1 team edition of 225 then the later edition of the f1 team 230 r26

Welcome along, would think a 200 cup would be available for that sort of money. Good luck with the search.

Personal preference, but I'm not so keen on the look of a front of a 200.
it may grow on me in time tho.

Mental pen, I can't recall off the top of my head, I shall keep you posted in a couple of days.

930 Tech, cheers buddy.
im liking the look of the car in your signature :smile:

Mental pen, I can't recall off the top of my head, I shall keep you posted in a couple of days.

930 Tech, cheers buddy.
im liking the look of the car in your signature :smile:

I ask as there is a register on here so it may be a former members which are usually very well looked after :wink: