(new member) Gearbox issues - flabbergasted!!?

Hi All

a quick hello as I am a new regsitered forum member even though I have been browsing since September.....

Anyway, I returned to the joys of RenaultSport ownershp after a 2 1/2 year sabbatical (I have previously owned and loved a 172 cup, 182 trophy and a mk1 V6) in September after I sold my Focus RS - I purchased a 2007/57 reg197 Cup in white with recaros and spoiler, 21k miles and FRSH - its in perfect condition and up until now has been a pleasure to own and drive on weekends only as I have a company car for daily commuting. The warranty ran out in December.

I took the car out the weekend before last for a run and started to experience a crunching in the gearbox when engaging 4th - the car is still only on 23k miles so I was shocked to say the least.

I have read on this forum that others have experienced this fault with newer cars than mine so I contacted Renault customer service and told them of my displeasure, they kindly booked my car into my local dealer (Cardiff) and agreed to cover the £90 'diagnostic' charge even though I was confident that the gearbox is shot (from reading others threads).

The car went in this morning and low and behold it needs a new box as the syncromech has gone between 3rd and 4th and 5th and 4th. The cost of a new box is £2.5k before labour.

How can this be right - a 3 and a bit years old car that has 23k miles on it that has not been abused now needs a new gearbox!?

I just want others opinions and advice on this as I wont be spending money on it, I will try to claim 100% contribution from Renault Customer Services as I am a loyal and previous customer to Renault and I have told them that I am aware of other owners experiencing this shocking fault which even though is in small number a 'common fault' - I am prepared to fight this and will make sure other potential owners are aware of this fault.

Sorry for the rant and quick introduction but I hope others can symapthise and advise?

Cheers
Rich

Thanks for the speedy response mate - its actually sat in Cardiff Renault now, im picking it up in 30 mins, they have diagnosed the gearbox fault and have even drained the oil to look for shavings - this is metal in the old oil.

They have explained thier findings to Renault Customer Services who at this point are 'looking into what they can do' upto a maximum 50% contribution - ive told them im not prepared to pay anything as why would I want to spend that kind of money for the box to go again in another 23k miles!?

I know another member on here from South Wales has had a box replaced because of this and have mentioned this to both the dealer and the Customer Service Manager with little response or acknowledgement.....

welcome to the site

That is a stupid amount of money for a gearbox, those cars were going for 13K new so they are saying the box is nearly 20% of the cost, what a load of s****

Id be going ape at RUK, but I'd prepare for the worse :worried:

the guy who serviced my 197 said he had a black 197 in last week with the synchromesh gone on 3rd gear after 14k miles. he also mentioned that the gearbox in a 197 is pretty much the same as they put in the scenic, and is not built for high rpm, high power engines. the previous owner of my 197 had the gearbox replaced 3 times in 4k miles, he gave up on it and luckily for me it's been fine under my ownership, now at 11.5k miles.

I had major issues with my box after 18k basically was in bits. RUK tried to blame a worn clutch for the problem and wanted 600 in labour to just look if that was the problem. I was then told if they found it was the clutch that had worn the mesh i was obligated to pay 1200 for a box rebuild and new clutch... As you can imagine i laughed in there face. I got a friend to strip it down and look at the clutch. There was nothing wrong with it at all apart from normal wear n tear So i took it back into the dealer and let them inspect. They found the the case was cracked and leaking fluid. They fitted me a 200 box under warrenty and i replaced the clutch with an uprated 1 when i got it back, the box is now diffed and not had a problem since. Ill try and find the ref number from RUK to help you mate.

Problem is u are out of warranty :worried:

thanks for your welcome messages and support guys

Had an offer of 75% contribution from Renault this morning which I have declined

I have now requested the figures on how many clio 197/200's they have sold in the UK and how many gearboxes they have replaced both under and out of warranty - will use this information when I consult with trading standards on Monday, the gearboxes are not fit for purpose.

The car is out of warranty (2 months) but that is not the point here, this problem I have is a known fault that Renault will not accept as common and hence will not recall - this was quoted to me this morning. The gearbox should last the lifetime of the car if serviced and maintained within manufacturers guidlines (my car has FRSH). This is not a wear and tear item like a clutch or exhaust that you would expect to replace at some point at your own costs - the gearbox is only 23k miles old for goodness sake, its ridiculous and others experiences back my claim up.

I would like to start a thread or sticky so that others who have had this problem can vouch for it, any factual information like this will support not only my case but others who could be about to suffer the same fault or to warn potential owners of the 'known gearbox fault' however small the numbers are at this time.

I love the car and want to enjoy it for years to come, just like i did with my previous 172 cup, 182 trophy and V6 but I cant do that when its only 3 years old with 23k miles and a broken gearbox

I have now requested the figures on how many clio 197/200's they have sold in the UK and how many gearboxes they have replaced both under and out of warranty - will use this information when I consult with trading standards on Monday, the gearboxes are not fit for purpose.

Please, do share. :thumbup1:

I bought a GT last year which has the same TL4 gearbox with different ratios. Im on 14,000 miles now and 3rd snchro is fecked. From what I gather the early 197's had real problems around 3rd gear and were eventually replaced with a newer version which I believe were okay. However, after speaking to someone that works at Renault it seems they have replaced gearboxes on the 200 recently too.

Mine goes into Renault next week and while its lowish mileage I had it put on coilovers. This shouldnt effect anything and theyve even said it should be fine themselvs, but Im expecting a big fight to get it sorted udner warranty.

I wont ever be buying a renault again unless its a Megane 250, but even they have **** synchromesh's so Im trying to save up enough to steer clear of Renault.

Last edited:
:welcome: to the site, please keep us updated with your woes with Renault, let us know how you get on :smile:

Ok, I don't want to sound like the bad guy here, but I'm going to play devils advocate.

As I understand this, you have bought a 3.5 year old 197, with FRSH, 23k miles on it and it has recently developed a knackered sync between 3rd and 4th.

The gearbox should last the lifetime of the car if serviced and maintained within manufacturers guidlines (my car has FRSH). This is not a wear and tear item like a clutch or exhaust that you would expect to replace at some point at your own costs - the gearbox is only 23k miles old for goodness sake, its ridiculous and others experiences back my claim up.

You are correct in saying this. However, no amount of dealer servicing will prevent damage from poor driving / gear shifting. Have you not considered that the previous owner(s) have been very ham fisted with the car? Renault will not issue a recall on items that have not been subjected to fair wear and tear, eg treated badly.

I think you don't have a chance with this one. The gearboxes ARE fit for use, not misuse. As ever with things like this you only ever hear the bad stories, and not the countless people running above average Clios with original gearboxes in that are great and problem free. I think Trading Standards will think the same.

I meant there is metal in the oil

I'm an Maintenance Electrician, and I've seen enough broken gearboxes to know that when there is steel in the oil, its usually down to misuse / over exertion. Hence the bad gear change expression "if you can't find it, grind it."

I bought a GT last year which has the same TL4 gearbox with different ratios. Im on 14,000 miles now and 3rd snchro is fecked. From what I gather the early 197's had real problems around 3rd gear and were eventually replaced with a newer version which I believe were okay. However, after speaking to someone that works at Renault it seems they have replaced gearboxes on the 200 recently too.

Continual development happens on any car, it doesn't mean there is a fault.

Had an offer of 75% contribution from Renault this morning which I have declined

Why? Be realistic. You driving a car which is out of the warranty period, and has developed a fault since the warranty ended. Not Renaults problem. They are doing this for good customer service, and to keep threads like this off the forums. By all rights Renault could just say they wouldn't help you at all. They've already improved on there original 50% offer, I would seriously consider accepting this. Worst case now is if you keep on saying no and they retract their offers, especially if you keep throwing Trading Standards in the mix.

I genuinely wish you all the best for this, but I do think you're going to end up putting your hand in you pocket. At 75% off, you should bite there hand off.

your quote of 2.5k from renault reduced by 75% means your to pay £625 for a new box fitted out of warranty- to be fair that isnt a bad price

S

I'm an Maintenance Electrician, and I've seen enough broken gearboxes to know that when there is steel in the oil, its usually down to misuse / over exertion. Hence the bad gear change expression "if you can't find it, grind it."

well i am going to disagree on this one !

been in the motor trade long enough to know that there are plenty of gearboxes with weaknesses and poor materials used in the synchro hubs and baulk ring assemblies - i would say that the 197 box does have an issue with quality/material in this area !!

even if the previous owner had ragged it into every single gear, i'd still be wanting it to last over 23k. my mate has an ep3 ctr, and he has ragged the tits off it for 50k, ragged it into gear etc, and no gearbox problems for him. (or any others...)
i'd be fully expecting to not pay a single penny for the repair.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A New Members 3
I New Members 1
Red Baguette New Members 7
OutlawAsh New Members 1
T Clio General Chat 14