Hey, new member, question about gearbox

Hello everyone,
I don't like to ask questions on forums that everyone will know the answer to, but I'm going to anyway!
I currently own a vx220 turbo and it's going up for sale imminently (needs a front end respray first after some nice lady reversed into it)

After lots of thought, decided I wanted a clio 197 cup as I didn't want to go from a small light sports car to a big bulky hatch (aka focus & civic) - I need a hatchback!

Anyway, my question is this, I have been doing my research on here the last few days and can't seem to find the answer!

I know the gear box was revised on these cars and the post revision cars are more desirable, when was the revision, and how can I tell if the car has it.

I fancy a r27 in nimbus grey however most of these seem to be on a 57 plate, will they be too old to have the revised gearbox, if this is the case I guess I would be better with a later cup model, I don't like the looks of the new 200, the front is a bit weird so it's got to be the 197.

It's a big step as the vx220 is just an incredible car to drive, and I need a hatchback, so I want the best "drivers car" and I just hope I like said clio when I get it :smile:
Anyway that's my life story :tongueout: thanks guys :thumbup:
Thanks,
Tom

1st of all welcome to the site. The gearbox ratio was changed on the 6th gear in October 2007. Depending when it was registered/built will determine what box it has got. I have a November 2007 R27 and mine has the newer box. The only way to tell really is by the revs at 70mph in 6th. Looking at around 3400rpm for the newer box and 3600rpm on the older one. Really cant tell that much difference

thank you for your response.
Guess there's no easy way of telling then short of demanding the current owner takes you on a test drive at 70mph!
So it doesn't make too much of a difference then? I had read on a few reviews that it was some big thing, but if it's not a major difference I won't worry, I'm not worried about the extra engine noise, it has to be quieter than a vx220!

Welcome to the site tom.
I wouldn't worry about which gearbox. Just find the car you want as there is next to no difference in the gearbox.

I read that ALL R57 F1 Team cars had the new 'box and that it was introduced across the rest of the RenaultSport Clio range from October 2007 in response to critical reviews....

Mine is a March 2007 RS197 and it has the older box but it is fine. Quieter at 80mph than 70mph too due to some odd resonances as the revs build... (allegedly officer!).

No, they were definately changed in October 2007. All cars built after that were treated to the newer box. Virtually no difference anyway

Thank you for the warm welcome :smile:
I'm pretty sure I will go with the F1 edition as I'm a sucker for special editions, and want the recaros and big spoiler (I must be a chav!!) and most have these :smile:

I can confirm that my r277 doesn't have the newer longer ratio box, Ive got the old revvy one and Im more than happy with it! For the sake of 200rpm its not something you are ever going to notice unless you drive them back to back, day after day! Its not that they are unreliable or anything otherwise we would all have the new one.

On the point that DrDX made I would agree that when driving normally (not booting it) its most noisy about 65mph due to the revs - really nice to keep it in that band on down shifts lol!

Gutted to hear about the front end of the vx220, some people hey!?

yeah, well luckily a witness saw it and came to me afterwards and said what happened with reg no etc.
So it's going through insurance, but just taking forever :worried:
Kind of need to get rid of the car, but it's just one of them things I guess.

Similar Thread Suggestions