New Entry-Level Clio Cup Series Launched by Renault and BARC.

Most salon cars including the Clio Cup cars use a electronically operated fire extinguisher system. More often then not they are activated by one of 3 electrical controls, 1 at the base of the windscreen, 1 on the dashboard and one that is usually to the left or right of the driver. Three jets are located in the interior and engine bay (intake & exhaust manifold)

TBF I can't see many of these cars being used on the road, what Renault are pointing out is you can use a road car for the conversion and it will remain road legal.

OT but

Is the Clio a saloon ??

If thats the case its a very antiquated system, modern day regs should require a system that accounts for the biggest problem thats likely to occur when something goes wrong...

Dunno, all 200s look like salon cars to me!!!

Give me the 197 look any day

This cup is going to be cat D heaven lol good way to get involved though, even I'm considering it but definitely not considering spending the best part of just over 10k and getting smashed into lol.

The 3K kit sounds cool but like you say, 'as little as', plus whenever a company promotes a package like such, they're always getting it for WAY cheaper, meaning we can get it for cheaper as Fernandez has pointed out. Do your homework and you could probably make it race ready for much less, you always find the odd FIA/MSA approved bits on ebay as well, that's where I've been getting most things, just have to read thoroughly.

The championship is a great idea the R3 group N kit is a fantastic set of dampers and not silly money and its a lot more suited to road tyres then the clio race suspension if that is the spec kit you will get from Renault as it does say dampers from the rally car you are laughing. The tyres will be the equaliser

Clio series

I forgot to say i did speak to the people running the series on thursday ( apparentley they will also be running the Clio Cup again as they have run it before a few years ago?), they have not got any prices sorted yet for entries, they did say the registration cost would be around £750 but not 100%, i was given another number to call for more information, eg technical spec like min weight, mods you can and cant make, race lenghts etc etc and have called it now around 4 times and keep getting no answer/reply when i leave a message.
I think the registration cost is quite high ( i have raced the Ma5da Mx5 series now for 3 years on and off and they charge £225 for registration, they have around 40 - 60 cars and have lots of perks, TV coverage, Hospitality with food and drinks etc etc, which i guess Renault wont be doing so what will i get for my £750?

I like the idea of this series as i have always liked Renault sports and have owned a few over the years including 172 and R27 F1 liquid yellow #002, which i loved and is one of the reasons i'd like to try the series, i also have a Clio V6 in the garage which gets very little use so may sell to buy the 197/200 if i cant sell the Mx5 race car first?

If anyone has anymore information i would love to know :thumbup:

Newbie to the forum here so hi.

Just an update on this subject. Round 1 of the Michelin Clio Cup with Protyre was run over the weekend at Snetterton. I think one guy from this parish was competing but I will let him choose to reveal himself, or not. What I will say is that he conerted his own car and ran himself (we ran with a race team mainly due to my ineptitude with the spanners).

Racing cars was a new experience for us (my son is the driver) and our newly converted 197 behaved all weekend once we sorted out a damaged exhaust. All of the road cars went home at the end of the day with no scrapes or damage. It was not carnage as some have suggested it might be. Nor for that matter was the main class of ex-TOCA cars.

All in all a great experience to be in the paddock. The event seemed well organised, prizes and press interviews for the road class and novices. Even a nice and well deserved "spirit of the clio cup" award given to your man on here for his true privateer attempt.

So we have been the guinea pigs, now we need more drivers. There are 8 weeks to the next round at Croft so plenty of time to sign up and convert your car. It will make track days look so tame! In motorsport terms, competition doesnt get much cheaper - and racing in an event with single seaters, GT3's etc there is plenty to watch.

I can put you in touch with organisers and/or teams and will offer any advice/support that I can. Its a very friendly paddock with competitors helping each other. Reminds me of the fun days of novice karting before it all got serious.

Feel free to pvt me for more info. Just for clarity, my only connection to Renault/BARC etc is my son being a competitor.

regards
Neil
car #21