New Entry-Level Clio Cup Series Launched by Renault and BARC.

But if your thinking that motorsport is all about winning your massively underestimating the enthusiasm people have for competitive track driving.

I agree with your points, if you've got team Pyro and SV taking part in it you don't stand a chance in the "pro" class. But if they do it right and keep tight controls on the lower "sport" class then theres no reason you can't at least become competitive. Obviously there's huge running fee's over and above the initial ~3k conversion.

Generally, at a professional level if you're not interesting in winning, you shouldn't be racing at a professional level. I've had it drilled into me for most of my "younger years" doing karting, thats why I stopped, as to continue at the top of professional level in karting you have to pump 10's of thousands into it and it just isn't worth it.

I can just see with a grid full of "billies" who all think they're the next Lewis Hamilton (as you get on trackdays) in a competitive close environment things are going to get damaged.

We all know how clumsy driving was in last years Clio Cup. Isn't that why we always watch it, as it isn't a boring procession, and they have a racing car. Not a converted road car as half the "3k billies" will.

I could put my car on it that at least one car will be wrote off or seriously damaged.

Just don't hope to come out at the end of it with straight panels. haha.

Last edited:
I could put my car on it that at least one car will be wrote off or seriously damaged.

:lol: too true, if you're going to spectate I'll be right there with you man, its going to be brutal.

'gentleman racers' are a common thing in all levels though, this just opens it up to more of them at a lower budget. A lot of the time these people know they wont win was my point. You get idiots who think they're an undiscovered F1 champion in all classes of motorsport, BTCC has a huge budget and you still get people driving like c*nts.

:lol: too true, if you're going to spectate I'll be right there with you man, its going to be brutal.

'gentleman racers' are a common thing in all levels though, this just opens it up to more of them at a lower budget. A lot of the time these people know they wont win was my point. You get idiots who think they're an undiscovered F1 champion in all classes of motorsport, BTCC has a huge budget and you still get people driving like c*nts.

Haha, so true. It is a great idea, I just feel it might attract the wrong kind of driver. We'll have to see though, it might all pan out nicely.

I say might............ :lol:

A bit more info

"The registration fee will be £750 + VAT. The entry fees are still to be 100% confirmed but are likely to be around £225 for one day and £450 for the weekend. The kit will include a cage, belts, fire system, exhaust and suspension parts"

Just had a thought, the teams will possibly offering drives on a weekend-by-weekend basis, where you just pay for the weekend to use their car and equipment. Could be worth the entertainment for a one-off.

I might contact them and see how much it is.

£500-700 seems the going rate in VW Cup so probably about the same here at a guess.

No way 3k will include Sadev box, they're more like 6k just for the box. Then you'd have to rebuild it once a year at silly costs.

Has anyone been on a trackday against a Cup racer? I had the pleasure of running with one at brands earlier in the year. You can't comprehend the performance difference, went past me like I was sitting still!

No doesn't include box.

3k is cage, belts, fire system, exhaust and suspension.

Registration is around a grand

Fees are around 225 for the day or 450 for the weekend

No way 3k will include Sadev box, they're more like 6k just for the box. Then you'd have to rebuild it once a year at silly costs.

Has anyone been on a trackday against a Cup racer? I had the pleasure of running with one at brands earlier in the year. You can't comprehend the performance difference, went past me like I was sitting still!

Not driven with one but I have driven one. And the performance difference is truly ridiculous. However, a very good driver in a 'converted' car would be able to 'peg' a race car with a average driver behind the wheel I have no doubt.

To me this seems a way of stopping all the current cup cars being made completely redundant in 2014 when new ones are introduced. Is a nice idea by Renault to do this but reckon its driven by the current teams being able to sell their current race cars next year at decent price.
The other point is what about the track day trophy!? Simpler regs in the way that the car just has to pass the safety regs and then you can either leave the car standard or go nuts. Plus there's a range of classes to suit. If I wanted to get into racing that's the way I'd go.
Good idea but flawed........although I have no doubt it will be popular

No doubt that teams will offer arrive and drive packages, but you will have to insure that car. Motorsport Insureance is expensive! I'd imagine for a weekend with pyro to run you and their car £1500 that's with out tyres and fuel...

Would the 3k include a seat as well, as the standard ones wont be FIA approved, would they? especially if running a harness as well you would need a fixed back seat.

Reading between the lines. £3k is the minimum expendature to make your car "race ready"

"In a move to ease the transition into competitive racing for rookie drivers, the introduction of a conversion kit has been confirmed which will enable owners of road-going Clio Renaultsport 197 and Clio Renaultsport 200 cars to transform them to track specification for as little as £3,000."

Key words there being, "For as little as", so clearly there will be more options.

Generally, at a professional level if you're not interesting in winning, you shouldn't be racing at a professional level. I've had it drilled into me for most of my "younger years" doing karting, thats why I stopped, as to continue at the top of professional level in karting you have to pump 10's of thousands into it and it just isn't worth it.

I can just see with a grid full of "billies" who all think they're the next Lewis Hamilton (as you get on trackdays) in a competitive close environment things are going to get damaged.

We all know how clumsy driving was in last years Clio Cup. Isn't that why we always watch it, as it isn't a boring procession, and they have a racing car. Not a converted road car as half the "3k billies" will.

This chap talks a lot of sense.

Mark has replied to me from Pyro, and to race one of their car's for the weekend, you're looking at roughly 3-4k.