New Brake Setup Results

JamesS

Platinum Member
Had a new brake setup fitted recently (PF 330mm discs, Ferodo DS3000 pads and KTR braided lines) and just managed to repeat an ABS stop test that I did a while ago on my old brakes, now that the new brakes have bedded in. Test was done on the same car, same driver, same fuel load, same road and same ambient conditions. All data was logged by my onboard motorsport data logger.

Below are the results:

Old Brakes (Pagid pattern replacement discs and pads)
60.68mph to 0mph
Time taken: 4.15133 seconds
Distance taken: 64.27 metres

New Brakes (PF 330mm discs, Ferodo DS3000 pads and KTR braided lines)
62.51mph to 0mph
Time taken: 3.462 seconds
Distance taken: 55.7 metres

When the car with the new brake setup had come to a standstill, the car with the old brakes was still doing 9.49mph.

The new brake setup stopped the car 8.57 metres sooner and 0.689 seconds quicker.

Old brake setup generated peak deceleration of 0.94g after 3.22 seconds and maintained this for 0.319 secs

New brakes generated 0.94g after only 0.692 secs and generated 1.05g after 0.862 secs, then maintained that for 1.485 secs

Below is a graph showing the two tests overlaid.

Braking%2520Graph.jpg

A quite clear benefit to upgrading the brakes!

Surely this is definitive proof that the 330mm setup is worth the upgrade

I have had my setup exectly the same as this for 4 months now and it just gets better with time.

You could really see how much later the guys with 330mm setup was braking at How Fast

They inspire so much more confidence in an already capeable car

An to top it all off the look fecking awesome

Nice to see some before and after data instead of the 'these brakes are great' threads (like mine)

Awesome results and as others have said great to see confirmed proof.

Can't wait to get my big brake kit on the car. :smile:

nice data and yes the 330 set up is probably a definitive improvement BUT unfortunately the test is flawed as the pads were different between set ups (ignoring road conditions etc.).

rapidly gets coat

I'll have to do a similar before and after test when I fit the 356mm kit.. Should be very interesting as with the larger callipers the pad surface almost doubles.

can you get the 356mm under the 17s F?

Unfortunately not mate, having to go 18" which means a set of newly acquired white alloys will be up for grabs before the September How Fast :wink: , hoping to get an 8 pot 330mm kit sorted at some point though for std alloys.

Unfortunately not mate, having to go 18" which means a set of newly acquired white alloys will be up for grabs before the September How Fast :wink: , hoping to get an 8 pot 330mm kit sorted at some point though for std alloys.

For under 15s mr f??

8-pot :bounce1:

Good test.

and whilst it doesnt prove the 330PF kit is better on its own, it proves a decent brake setup does make a big difference. Hence why I just replaced my 330mm discs after wearing out the first set.

As for the 8 pots..... the pistons are pretty small in them, so the fluid to engage them isnt that much. I had 8 pots Ksports front and 6 pot rear on my old JDM impreza and they worked well. Although i didnt keep them all that long as they didnt hold the JDM bling badge I craved at the time........ (sad but true lol)

Im still unconvinced.... the only ones im convinced really outpaced on the how fast were running clubsports, if i ran 4 wheels on the corners i think there would have been a gnats nudgers in it...the brakes are already oversized on the mk3s

Nice to see some proper data, however I would have liked to see pagid discs with DS3000 pads aswell to really see if the 330mm make any real difference

What you running Kenny, (only so i know what im kicking the ass out of next time)