New 200 turbo driven.

People are saying that it's due to emissions that the new Clio will be a turbo. If that is so, how come the Toyota GT86 can get away with having a 2.0L NA engine producing 197bhp?

The Clio could but no one would buy it due to having a really high tax band.

Most people don't want a sub 20k car with £500 tax.

Last edited:
The link isn't showing any video for me just a Renault sport page asking to put an email address in to put ya name down :s

Is it really only available with a semi auto then :001_huh:

If so then I would love to know why, little confused.

I was speaking with a friend about this (whos Dad owns a few Renault dealerships). He was saying that yes it meets lower emissions etc and so becuase more cost effective, but the main thing is to try and target a bigger audience and attract new customers. Alot of hot hatches now are Turbo / Super charged, only ones i can really think that arent are 197/200 and Civic Type R (believe the new type r will be charged and they are trying to make one of the most powerful hot hatches) so Renault Sport are 'following suit'. My friend was saying that obviously the Clio RS community is just a tiny proportion of the whole hot hatch market. Current and previous Clio RS owners love the whole high revving engine and driving experience the clio RS offers and by making the chages they have done, may upset a select view in that it may be seen as the 'Clio RS routes' are being lost, but it allows them to enter the whole bigger market of turbo hot hatches and attempt to gain a whole number of new customer which would out weigh the number of exisiting Clio RS owners who would not be buying the new one.

I personally think the new one looks to big and for me the 200/197 are my fav (not be biased as i have a 200). Seeing the new one in person / having a drive may change my opinion, but for now, only going on pics i've seen.

I was speaking with a friend about this (whos Dad owns a few Renault dealerships). He was saying that yes it meets lower emissions etc and so becuase more cost effective, but the main thing is to try and target a bigger audience and attract new customers. Alot of hot hatches now are Turbo / Super charged, only ones i can really think that arent are 197/200 and Civic Type R (believe the new type r will be charged and they are trying to make one of the most powerful hot hatches) so Renault Sport are 'following suit'. My friend was saying that obviously the Clio RS community is just a tiny proportion of the whole hot hatch market. Current and previous Clio RS owners love the whole high revving engine and driving experience the clio RS offers and by making the chages they have done, may upset a select view in that it may be seen as the 'Clio RS routes' are being lost, but it allows them to enter the whole bigger market of turbo hot hatches and attempt to gain a whole number of new customer which would out weigh the number of exisiting Clio RS owners who would not be buying the new one.

I personally think the new one looks to big and for me the 200/197 are my fav (not be biased as i have a 200). Seeing the new one in person / having a drive may change my opinion, but for now, only going on pics i've seen.

well thats exactly what they have done to me....dont want a 5dr turbo clio...it will either be a megane coupe or a fiesta st 3dr!

as for clio4 being "too big" it actually looks smaller than clio3 - saw it last night and the first thing that strikes you is how low it is!!!!

I've only had my 200 2/3 month so ive got a few years left with that which im more than happy about :smile:

I think i'll have to go along to Renault and have a look at the new one though

Dang I would have bet this is the lumpy PSA crap, but seems not to be... well that could mean something good to the Clio but let me think about what I said now... F..K it, still looks like a KIA c'eed!!

Saw a "normal" Clio 4 yesterday at my dealer in person, man this pile of metal looks like crap!!!

I doubt that Renault does something good here!!

Oli

Ahh. What's the tax on a GT86?

Manual -

Registration Date - 1 Jun 2012

6 months - £118.25

12 months - £215.00

First Year Rate - £325.00

VED Band - I

CO2 -181 g/km

Automatic

Registration Date - 1 Jun 2012

6 months - £93.50

12 months - £170.00

First Year Rate - £170.00

VED Band - G

CO2 - 164 g/km

No Brembo's but they're still 4pot's.

Also and no one else has asked this yet.. The noise that we are hearing is that the noise you hear in the cabin when driving it or the actual noise from the engine??

The advert is quite embarrassing if I'm honest with the chavvy driving :worried:

Also and no one else has asked this yet.. The noise that we are hearing is that the noise you hear in the cabin when driving it or the actual noise from the engine??

The advert is quite embarrassing if I'm honest with the chavvy driving :worried:

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong!) There is the proper engine sound which is piped into the cabin through a valve that opens once you hit certain RPMs

But... there is also an option to have a 'engineered' digital sound piped into the cabin to make it feel more racy?

I may have got that wrong though!

If that's the case its great but Renault usually show the model with all options and features.. I think this engineered digital sound comes in is a feature on all new Clio's right? :/

don't get me wrong.. The car looks well planted in the video when hes on the track.. but the other parts make me cringe..

not 4 pots calipers.....single piston "fist" type calipers = cheap!

Brembos would be overkill on that car.......

Previous 197/200 targeted at men (without sounding sexist). Occasional spirited drive out or occasional track day.

New 200T targeted at men\women with families. Occasional spirited drive for Sunday paper or being late for hairdressing appointment or Brownies