Nearly changed my car today!

During the last couple of weeks , after just over a year of ownership I started to get that urge for something different. Something with a turbo maybe? Think of the torque I thought! I started searching online looking at everything from cupra r's to golf diesels. I didn't want to spend any more money so was looking at similar priced cars.
I found a really nice looking Mini Cooper s with all the extras including a much missed panaramic sunroof! Talked myself in to a test drive so off I went..
First impressions, what a cute looking car! Did I want cute? Not really, the Clio looked like an evil beast next to the little cooper! It was good looking just maybe a little Girly Anyway I pressed on, the dealer let me go for a drive on my own :biggrin: so off I went, straight away I thought wow, what a noise! It was an 05 which is the previous supercharged version rather than the current turbo. A lovely, addictive whine! I started to think I might actually do this! :blink: it was also pretty quick, handled very well and the ride was much better than I expected. I was almost turned. I went back to the dealer, saw my 197, which now looked better than ever! I told the dealer I was going to go away and have a think.
I got back in the 197 and realised that actually the interior is really good (I have a ff btw) not noticed for a while but compared to the mini it looks and feels a class above. I'm comming back to my senses I thought! So I went off down the same country road that I raced the mini down minutes before. Needless to say, I didn't stop, I didn't look back and I still have a massive smile on my face! These cars are first class, there is not much out there that can come close for the money! I have a renewed love for my 197, and I'm treating it to a full Renault service as soon as they can fit me in to aplogise for doubting my amazing car!

Last edited:
Well I would call that a convincing win for the Clio! Good little read that mate! :thumbup:

Mate, great little read! I think the mini coopers are great cars, great fun, great drive, decent build quality and everything going for it! Can even be mean when wanted too be..

But Clio anyday :wink:

What a great story!!!

I would totally agree with you on the Mini comments - we had one on our Honeymoon in the Highlands for 2 weeks, and I really was not impressed with it at all - even on those nice big empty roads!!!

Now go and try an R26 :wink: lol...

Good write up and I totally agree, the Clio is definitely the most all around capable car in its class (apart from the 200)

I owned a 2004 54 plate Cooper 'S' which I bought from an approved dealer with low miles and yes it was quick - but it was the most rattly, hard-riding and mechanically unreliable piece of junk I've ever owned!! The final straw was failure of the hydraulic engine mount which doused the inner wing with fluid...which is a good paint stripper! I sold it 2 years ago....

I now have a FF RS197 and it is superior in (just about) every way. My only complaint is the lack of low down torque and a feeble exhaust not below 4000rpm... but you can't have everything..... I've already decided it will be traded for a new RS200 as soon as the funds become available!!

Cheers for the comments.. Im not saying the mini's are rubbish, just that they helped me realise just how good the 197/200's are!
One car im trying to resist test driving is the new megane rs! Im scared I won't be able to resist ordering one! I just can't afford it.
But with my renewed love for my 197 im good for a while yet!

One car im trying to resist test driving is the new megane rs! Im scared I won't be able to resist ordering one! I just can't afford it.

Lol thats the only reason I am happy to test a 250 as I know I cant buy one but I still feel like I need to have a go!

i did this few weeks ago, took the new golf R and mates new focus RS for a spin, both amazing bits of kit....but the clio is in a league of its own for fun. Just cant match it on the b roads!

...glad you snapped out of it fella!!!

^^^ ha ha, yeah they could do so much better. quality and finish is immense... but is whey whey wheeeeyyyyy too discreet for me!

:smiley: Nice story, know what you mean...just had some fun before bed time with my 197 on empty countryside road. I enjoy the beast so much, can´t imagine trading it for anything right now, not even for 200-don´t like the front end, nor for 250-maybe I´ll change my mind after test drive ;/...

doesnt anyone else think that the 250 looks like an astra vxr? on the meganesport forum there was a pic of a red one with black wheels (normally a good combination) but it has put me right off of them! it might aswell have had vxr written down the side!

doesnt anyone else think that the 250 looks like an astra vxr? on the meganesport forum there was a pic of a red one with black wheels (normally a good combination) but it has put me right off of them! it might aswell have had vxr written down the side!

I agree with that. I was totally put off the new Megane for that very reason!

Glad to here you changed your mind, I went though a phase like you have and almost ended up buying a R26 but could not justify it with the current financially climate.

It does a bit, but most cars follow the same design theses days.

I think the 197 look a lot like the Pug 308 shape wise, just one of those things.