My Ultra Red 197

As above. Just take the front bumper off. You won’t regret it. Doesn’t take long and saves a lot of skin and frustration!

Reactions: NWDSdaz
Looking like that’s what il be doing one evening @strell

I pretty certain my car has the projector version of the headlights. Can anyone confirm this so I can get the correct bulbs purchased in advance. Here’s a picture

EFFD16B8-B577-444F-83AE-C991EC57D928.jpeg

And is there any certain bulbs people recommend? Any Amazon links would be much appreciated :thumb:

Reactions: strell
If they are genuine Valeo headlights then pull the rubber bulb boot off if the wires inside are blue they are the basic reflector headlights which yours are clearly not. If the wires are red then it halogen projector headlights, if the wires are yellow then it has Xenon headlights. Now there are two different types of Xenon headlights if the ballast pack is like a cartridge pushed in from the back under the dipped beam hole the bulbs a D1S xenon. If the ballast is fitted underneath the headlight assembly the headlights are super rare D2S xenon bulbs. Now I had a problem with one of my headlights a week ago thought it was the Xenon bulbs but it was the ballast swap headlights over to test is easier than swapping ballast. Now my problem was parking the car into the sun and in the evening condensation formed inside the lens and the ballast got wet I dried it out went all over the salvage yard looking for a D2S ballast did not find one so was getting ready to order one when the next morning it worked again.
1657752776427.png
1657752932361.png
1657753242267.png

You have headlight washers so I expect Xenon headlights. And yes its a bumper off job and 4 screws hold the headlights in and there is and 8mm one from the side (silver) underneath the other 3 are obvious 10mm ones (black).
1657753869611.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean197 and bedoef
Thanks for the advice @turkie172 , very helpful. Unfortunately I’ve been riddled with covid the last couple of weeks, so haven’t been driving much but I finally pulled the trigger on the headlight this morning.

A77C15E0-E2D8-460C-8710-CEBA3E26AE47.jpeg

When I first tried to remove the bulb with the headlight still in place I thought it was strange that it seemed to be a little loose inside the light unit in the first place. It seems the problem was that the bulb had slid past the retaining clip, so there was no space for it to come out in one piece. After some head scratching and swearing I realised this and managed to get the retaining clip back in place, then separate them as Renault intended. All sorted now thankfully.

C97659BD-A68C-4BF8-9850-E6AC600E5F47.jpeg

Not much has happened recently but in the last week or so one of my front shocks has failed, and the n/s outer cv has become noisy.

So I know they’re not highly rated on here, but I had £100 store credit from Ktec for the wheel mess up so I ordered a set of there budget coilovers. Ever since I’ve fitted the wheels I’ve always wanted the front a few mm lower, and the car won’t be tracked by me so these fitted the bill for now. They give me the height adjustment I crave without breaking the bank and I doubt the ride will be much worse than my H&R springs and with funds still tight after the new house. I also have a new drive shaft to fit at the same time.

Apart from that nothing else to report, should get them fitted in the next week or so. Took a drive to Snowdonia so here’s a quick snap

6D692916-CBE5-4F71-9A29-282C5F61CBDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Noticed a few annoying rattles over the last few weeks, the worst coming from this trim on the boot lid.

F07B0470-0A31-43B1-BD4A-D8B01E0628DF.jpeg
I ordered some foam backed adhesive off Amazon and applied some to back

DE08D29F-0944-477A-AEFC-C60C7C979BAC.jpeg

Seems to have worked so far thankfully! I also removed the glove box and applied to all the places where it has contact to other plastics as there was one coming from my passenger footwell but it’s hard to pinpoint whilst driving.

2E0E179F-3DDC-47FE-BAAB-BF618C888522.jpeg9A452E95-4651-4538-A764-6A165ABB4F2C.jpeg65398579-A6A8-4BDD-929D-6DF105170955.jpeg

Got loads left over so when I have some free time I’m going to do similar to the dash centre aswel. Drive shaft and coilovers will be on this week so hopefully she will be a lot quieter to drive after the next few days
:thumb:

Last edited:
After putting some miles on the car I’d definitely say they were an upgrade on the H&R springs. But under very spirited cornering there is a tiny amount of rubbing on the front arch. Ideally I don’t want to higher the front anymore, has anyone trimmed the lip off there wings using a dremmel or anything similar for a little extra clearance?

After putting some miles on the car I’d definitely say they were an upgrade on the H&R springs. But under very spirited cornering there is a tiny amount of rubbing on the front arch. Ideally I don’t want to higher the front anymore, has anyone trimmed the lip off there wings using a dremmel or anything similar for a little extra clearance?

Yep I have, easy job and not noticeable once done.

With using the OEM top mounts not sure how much camber adjustment il have. On closer inspection I’ve noticed it’s actually rubbing on the bumper at the front of the arch :think:

B4301F24-BEF0-453E-AB01-30E9925AB424.jpeg

Going to have a fettle with the ride hide and tidy this up abit with the dremmel tomorrow morning.

Raised the front a couple more mm’s, and also had it aligned. The MOT is due mid October, and I’m pretty sure it will need a new rear calliper. So I’ve ordered some black HEL braided brake hose’s and will change the fluid at the time.