My LY 200

Great looking car! That’s funny about the M135i, I have a mate who had an R56 Mini JCW, sold it for an M135i in November 2017, and has just sold the M135i to buy an R53 JCW... He said the same as you, such a capable car and absolutely rapid, but lacked feel and Driver engagement (probably didn’t help that he got the Auto though)

Did you wrap the door panel gloss black yourself? Was it easy to do? Mine has started to peel [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely looking car! LY is one of my favourite colours. Came with a good list of modifications too by the sound of it.

Ive had a few BMWs and I know what you mean, very capable machines but a bit sterile and numb. Not an involved driving experience really.

Thanks. Certainly not “the ultimate drivers machine” they claim that’s for sure.

Great looking car! That’s funny about the M135i, I have a mate who had an R56 Mini JCW, sold it for an M135i in November 2017, and has just sold the M135i to buy an R53 JCW... He said the same as you, such a capable car and absolutely rapid, but lacked feel and Driver engagement (probably didn’t help that he got the Auto though)

Did you wrap the door panel gloss black yourself? Was it easy to do? Mine has started to peel [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I did, it was quite easy actually. The hardest part was removing the old stuff. It’s not perfect but it’s miles better than the faded and peeling original one. I just made sure I bought some good quality vinyl (genuine 3M) and took my time.

Little update and some questions for you all.

I’ve spent a few hours today doing the regular brake strip, clean and lube as well as clean the scuttle area. So safe in the knowledge I’ll have no leaks for a while and the brakes are good for another 6months to a year.

Question is, has anyone with the newer style top mounts noticed any paint cracking around the circumference of mount. It definitely looks like just paint cracking in my case as I made sure I had a good look. But it’s let water in and corrosion has started. You can see in the pictures the passenger side is worse than the drivers side.

I also noticed that there is a ring of sealant around where the crack has started, does anyone know if this is normal? It all appears solid and well done as though this ring of sealant is there from when it was made, is the new design mount just a plug in the hole??

11a79bff291d984d988874fa27160e2b.jpgbffd3bd53d2865b49849fd45c6363eee.jpg5c98dd0796e23ea3c63207514efab3bf.jpg

Well I had a bit of a delay getting it into the garage but it’s in and the work is in progress. Should hopefully get it back later today. Needless to say I’m a bit excited to see how it feels with new shiny bits fitted.ef1102be741334e4c575a280b70794ba.jpg

Reactions: Big Ben
Well I had a bit of a delay getting it into the garage but it’s in and the work is in progress. Should hopefully get it back later today. Needless to say I’m a bit excited to see how it feels with new shiny bits fitted.View attachment 129785
B14’s Peter? Should make a big difference. What sort of camber are you going to run on the front?

B14’s Peter? Should make a big difference. What sort of camber are you going to run on the front?

Yeh they are. I don’t know yet to be honest, I’ll have a search around the site and see what other have done to get some ideas. But my thinking at the moment is to maybe run a little more than standard and just see what it’s like from there.

Well first impressions of the B14 and Compbrake top mount combo are really really good. I’ve only driven home from the garage and didn’t get the chance for any sort of spirited driving but the ride is very impressive. Well damped and surprisingly comfortable and a whole different league when compared to the old cup dampers and H&R springs. My advice now to anyone who asks about springs will be don’t bother, save up a bit more and get these.

I won’t lie I was slightly apprehensive about the solid top mounts, I had some concerns they’d be absolutely solid and unusable on the road but they don’t seem to be an issue at all.

I’ll let it all settle and get an alignment booked soon.

Well I finally had the chance to give the new set up a little try yesterday and it feels amazing. What a night and day difference to the old set up! And this is before an alignment (which is booked for Monday), although feel wise it seems spot on but I’m sure it’ll be out somehow.

The plan is to get it measured and if I don’t need shims for the rear to get the set up done there and then. If I do need them I’ll hopefully get them with time to get them fitted and aligned in time to book Croft on the 18th to give it a proper try. We will see...