My car won't start!!!help!!!

sod that.might get it redone and it might go again in 6 months.ill get some prices tommorow and see.doesnt have to be a genuine part though either does it?

sod that.might get it redone and it might go again in 6 months.ill get some prices tommorow and see.doesnt have to be a genuine part though either does it?

have a look on the starter and see who makes it - bosch / valeo etc and then do a internet search

+ a surcharge. comes out at £200 when you add to basket

whats the surcharge about?

just read up on it. need to send them your old starter motor.

think these must be reconditioned units

you wont or cant usually buy a brand new starter - they are fully reconditioned hence the price - brand new would be at least double

as for surcharge thats only if you dont send or give them the old one - if you have a shop nearby then theres no surcharge as you can give them the old one

ok got you

what shops sell these? the likes of andrew page or unipart etc?

is it much of a job?

looked at the workshop manual and for a F4R clio its seems like an under tray, battery and airbox out job to gain access. it does mention a 'lower crossmember' removal but im choosing not to take notice of that! does it mean subframe?

Maybe a strange question but I was wondering if you can jumpstart a car, in this case a Clio with a start/stop button?

I mean can you push it, then let the clutch come up and start it?

What do you do with the start/stop button?
I know when you hold it for a few seconds the ignition is on, but will the fuel system work then?

Anyone tried it?

ok got you

what shops sell these? the likes of andrew page or unipart etc?

is it much of a job?

looked at the workshop manual and for a F4R clio its seems like an under tray, battery and airbox out job to gain access. it does mention a 'lower crossmember' removal but im choosing not to take notice of that! does it mean subframe?

yeh places like page and unipart etc

think there is a small "box" cross-memeber on the lower subframe that has to come off to get at the starter

did mine today as the starter gave up the ghost at silverstone while going to see the moto gp

my fault was exactly the same as the problem in the first post here

car really ruined my weekend!

got a new sarter from unipart for £102 which was a great price i reckon

fitted it today on the drive. would have been much easier on a lift as access is really tight and that heat shield is a pain in the ass to re fit!

car starts fine though

bought a bosch unit yesterday.was £125 but take in old unit and they give me £35 for it and as far as im aware its a brand new bosch unit

its preyty straight forwrard

remove right front wheel and arch liner
remove battery box and air box
remove lower crossmember
slide heat shield side to side to access bolts and electrical connectors
disconnect the 2 wires on starter motor 8mm nut and 12mm nut (on larger red cable, one small black)
remove motor thru manifold then along the right side of car and it just fits thru the gap next to front right wishbone and steering rack.

fitting is a reverse of above. it a bit fiddly as there is very little room to get 2 hands in and the exhaust manifold is right in the way. on proper lift it would be loads easier.
remove 2 top bolts and 1 bottom bolt

havent had it done yet but tried it this morning and guess what,started first time!tyried again and again and started everytime.still going to ge the motor changed as it probably on the way out!

dont want to go far in it now though roy as it might not start when i leave the destination.so will replace the starter then i should be fine and have some confidence back in my little car