Car won't start - Steering not locked

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a couple of months but decided to register and show my frustration regarding a (potentially) serious problem with my Clio 197.

If I accidentally stall the car at a traffic light, it's almost certain that the car will not start again, due to the "Steering not locked" issue that's discussed a bit in these forums. This has also happened to me one morning from cold start.
I know that the temporary solution is to turn the steering wheel left/right and try again, but there has to be an underlying issue somewhere. I don't think it's the fuel pump, as this feels like an electronic problem.

Has anybody had the same issue and been to a garage that provided them with a working fix??

Thanks

Is your battery already tested? Maybe first start there. Confirm that your battery is 100% working condition.
Also measure your charging voltage from battery terminals car running using multimeter.

Last edited:
The ignition is turning fine. I could check the battery though, yes.

I found this possible fix for the TDC sensor:
This could be something I can do at home.

Just tonight though as I was driving back home, I put neutral to stop at the traffic light while the car was still rolling, and the engine switched off. I did the same turn steering wheel left/right "fix" and it started.

My car recently went beserk and developed all sorts of faults and it turns out the battery was fecked. Would start with changing that and if it doesnt work well at least you've got a new battery!

I know that the battery hasn't been changed for 66000 miles. I will take it to a friend tomorrow and run a diagnostic on the car.

If there is no fault, I will get a new battery first thing. I will let you guys know anyway, since this is a common fault, it seems.

The ignition is turning fine. I could check the battery though, yes.

I found this possible fix for the TDC sensor:
This could be something I can do at home.

Just tonight though as I was driving back home, I put neutral to stop at the traffic light while the car was still rolling, and the engine switched off. I did the same turn steering wheel left/right "fix" and it started.
I've had mine cleaned with brake cleaner and it made a huge difference as the car would struggle to start. The TDC sensor on our 197s is accessed from the underside

Welcome to the forum buddy. And good luck with your steering issues

Hope to hear from you before your next problem. We dont bite :smile:

Reactions: Cossers
just fit a new one...if its on the way out best changing before you get stuck at the road side

ps the 172/182 is different to 197/200

battery mate..could also be lots of other stuff but a dead battery is usually the case

Just a quick update, the battery is fine, had it checked today.

I am running some check-ups tomorrow, but it may br narrowed down to the tdc sensor or the steering wheel lock.

I'll keep you posted :smile:

Reactions: sevenfourate
I took the car to Renault today.
I stalled it for them and then let them do their business. What they found with their diagnostic were 2 faults in the steering column: one for the torque and one for the angle sensors in there. They reset them and they couldn't replicate the issue anymore, nor could I.
They did say that if there is a fault in the sensors or any part of the steering column, the entire column has to be replaced, as it's coded to the car. They quoted me 1100 for this!

I am not sure what to do now. I will call another certified garage to get a 2nd opinion, but anyone else has bright ideas? :smile:

Btw, I stalled the car again at my car park, it started fine...

thats seems to be very steep..surely the rack is not that expensive..labour included you should be looking at £500-600 all in..just my opinion..

There is one part in the Uk at the moment and it costs 700pounds.
I am trying to call Engine Dynamics in Essex, I'll do that tomorrow.

:worried: :worried:

thats seems to be very steep..surely the rack is not that expensive..labour included you should be looking at £500-600 all in..just my opinion..

its not the rack as this is just a "rack" the steering column includes all the electric drive motors/sensors to provide steering assistance

Just read this and all I can say is "Wow" and "Oh poop".

I thought the 197's were relatively computer-free... I mean, I know they have fuel injection (obviously), traction control etc... but I hadn't realised they have all sorts of electrickery going on in the steering column itself..???

So the problem started making its appearance again...
Twice today.

I will be emailing Renault again. I honestly don't know what to do here.