My arm is messed up

Update time.

I went to see a Neurologist last night at the Nuffield hospital, I was getting really frustrated with the lack of progress through the NHS and the speed at which things were happening.

After an hour long examination it turns out I have a serve case of Brachial Neuritis. Basically I had some kind of virus which caused my body to create too many White blood cells and they attacked my nervous system (obviously my body is stupid). This caused inflammation and loads of damage to the nerves that control my arm. Its also the cause of the headaches etc.

In the majority of cases full movement returns but it takes a long time as the nerves have to regenerate, anywhere from 3-24 months. But in some case it doesn't return so fingers crossed :smile:. The oInly thing they can do is keep giving me pain killers, and maybe some physio once some movement returns. Ive been told to be really really careful with my shoulder though, apparently my muscles will and have started to waste away so my shoulder will dislocate really easily if pulled lol

Bit of a crap prognosis but I'm so relieve it wasn't the other thing they thought it could be (something growing in my skull). Ok I have to put up with it for a while but rather that than brain surgery.

Watch it doesn't turn into CRPS-RSD Rich.If no improvement after 6 months get it checked out again
All the best mate

nerve damage is what i have Rich and what you have discribed is sim to what i have gone through but mine happenend after surgery

Glad to hear they have shed some light on what has happened Rich!

Guess this means that the sites official bowling champ will be out of action for a while then?

nerve damage is what i have Rich and what you have discribed is sim to what i have gone through but mine happenend after surgery
Ah I see mate, is there anything that can be done to improve healing? I'm going to get an EMG done to make sure the nerves aren't broken

Glad to hear they have shed some light on what has happened Rich!

Guess this means that the sites official bowling champ will be out of action for a while then?

I'm afraid to say it does, I shall have to pass the torch for a while :wink:

No mate it a case of waiting but if it goes on for more than 6 months it starts to become iraversable so keep a eye on it or like me you lose the use of the affected limb

Glad to hear there is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel for you fella!

I've been told to be really really careful with my shoulder though, apparently my muscles will and have started to waste away so my shoulder will dislocate really easily if pulled lol

Fancy an armwrestle???

Last edited:
No mate it a case of waiting but if it goes on for more than 6 months it starts to become iraversable so keep a eye on it or like me you lose the use of the affected limb

I really hope it sorts it self out, it's so difficult not be able to do anything about it or to help the healing process though. However the silver lining I'm focusing on from that point of view is if after 6 months there's no improvement my critical illness pays out, so no mortgage and a big hol :wink:

And Paul, I couldn't beat my 2 year old sister at the mo, I can't believe how much muscle wastage there is after 2 weeks, what's it gonna be like in another month or 2