Modding..Honest appraisal.

At this point seeing the cost involved and I'd cough and mutter 250 or 265 cup under my breath.

Daz your car does look and sound epic though.

I just don't think any mod on the clio justifies the cost, perhaps if you are having to renew and then upgrade is it brings the actual cost down.

Having said that I always say if your happy who cares less!

Nice work Daz

Indeed mate. Originally had a modded r26 so was after an r26r. But none available at time, so got the Clio with a view to making it a track weapon thats also road useable.
If i had the 250 id end up modding that too 8)

How are the Clubsports on a wet track (tyres obviously make a big difference) ?

When going for it round a soaking Knockhill my AST's were brilliant (with OZ's & R888's) but not much quicker than my standard suspension. They were that bit to stiff, it made for lots of fun though. They would have been better if I'd had a road tyre on.

I was at Snett on thursday. It was wet then damp. I had no issues, wearing r1r's. I left the tc on which combined with the diff helped, but once it dried out, i turned the tc off as it actually conflicts with the diff ive found.

Good honest Review mate!
The OZ's do look great I would defo buy them again and the weight saving is a bonus to.
same with the remap its money well spent it makes the car much more alive.
Ime about to try the AD08's so looking forward to that only hear good things about them.

Think modding is a bug what gets you,i was going to keep mine standard but the bug got me ha!

Its funny where moddin and Forums can take you. I bought a 330ci nearly 8 years ago cause I didn't want to pay 25k for a M3. Within 2 years after joining a forum, surfing posts, and listen to (both good and bad advice), sourced the best parts (often in moddin' and on forums can be confused with the most expensive) supercharging it and much more. Still wasn't faster than a M3 and could have bought one with change. Ironically, what am I after now...a M3!!! Parted the 330 out and put it back to standard years later and sold parts/car....hand on heart, it drove better standard. I've drove loads of modded stuff and you often lose more than you gain. Also the placebo effect or jedi mind trick in moddin where sometimes you can convince yourself thats theres an improvement when actually, its probably the same or sometimes worse.

If its a keeper (which I thought the BM's was at the time) fine, but circumstances change, as does your outlook. New standard cars come out that surpass modded ones. Projects also lose their appeal. Not to mention Girlfriends turn into wifes, mortgages and children. Try tellin the wife I've just spent 2k on coilovers....especially as their was nowt wrong with the last set. Also many a bloke with their 'project' covered in dust sheets in the garage. Nice if you can have a clio for track only but for most, they have to compromise with something in between. I guess thats what makes the clio appealing in standard trim, cause it does that 'out the box'.

I tried to sell the BM modded and people loved it, but was a nightmare. Was worth 500 quid more than standard one. Moddin' def heart than head but can come back to bite you hard on the bottom. Love your honesty which can be rarity on many a forum.

Last edited:
Indeed mate. Originally had a modded r26 so was after an r26r. But none available at time, so got the Clio with a view to making it a track weapon thats also road useable.
If i had the 250 id end up modding that too 8)

Something that has been failed to mention is you went the whole hog, no half assed botches so whilst you may not choose to do them again you haven't ruined the car because it's all been done 100% and properly.

For that reason I wouldn't entertain a modded car, HOWEVER the exception to that rule is one like yours that has been done correctly.

I'd say (On a track environment) the best mod I have is the brakes. This area was my main weakness however last time I was up Knockhill I was scaring even myself lol.

As for the Clubsports, I did feel quite an improvement over standard (I never did get to run my H&Rs on the track but on the road found that they did amplify understeer).

A remap is the next thing the green one is being treated to in July which I cannot wait to have done.

We should sticky this all do the same as daz and get it added to the first post might be a really good thread before people spend their cash !

Interesting read Daz! Would you mind if other people followed trend with what they've done? Could be a very helpful one-stop thread and a place to get multiple opinions on mods from different perspectives etc..

I think you'll find... :wink:

We should sticky this all do the same as daz and get it added to the first post might be a really good thread before people spend their cash !

Great minds think alike... :smiley:

I like that idea Will.

Edited for accuracy for you there Nodster. :thumbup:

Just remember not to post up if you dont want to the run the risk of your insurance company finding out about any undeclared modifications

I'd say (On a track environment) the best mod I have is the brakes. This area was my main weakness however last time I was up Knockhill I was scaring even myself lol.

As for the Clubsports, I did feel quite an improvement over standard (I never did get to run my H&Rs on the track but on the road found that they did amplify understeer).

A remap is the next thing the green one is being treated to in July which I cannot wait to have done.

Did you get your H&R's setup properly dude?

Just remember not to post up if you dont want to the run the risk of your insurance company finding out about any undeclared modifications

Not declaring mods is very sill and not something i would do, most companies add things for free bar a mid term amendment .

Not declaring mods is very sill and not something i would do, most companies add things for free bar a mid term amendment .

Wasnt aimed at anyone in particular fella, just food for thought for those that may be in that position

Engine;

64mm TB - Made a big difference to the urgency and low-down grunt. Has seemed to have widened the powerband/smoothed the transition from low to high lift. Easy to fit and setup, although it does need a bit of time to settle. I'd definatley do this again and it was well worth the price of £100.

ITG Panel Filter - Barely made any difference really in terms of performance. If anything I think the revs seemed a bit smoother but my old OEM filter was due a change anyway. Didn't make any real difference to the noise, maybe a little louder. In my mind it has to be better then a paper element and I wouldn't hesitate to use/buy one again for around £50.

Odyssey PC680 Battery - Not a modification to enhance performance on its own, but it saved me around 10KG in weight. Never missed a beat, good alternative (or better according to some people) to the usual Varley Red Top 25 (exact same dimensions) and this cost me £95 plus another £100 for the relocation so I could fit the V6 Airbox. A modification of neccesity, hard to say wether it was worth £195.

V6 Airbox & K-Tec Panel Filter - The single best modification I've done to Nicole. Noise, perofmance, everything just works right and further enhances the experience of driving one of these cars. You will need to move the standard battery to fit this, but it is well worth the extra work. I'd do this again in a heartbeat and with the Pipe, Filter and Airbox it cost me a total of around £130.

Exhaust;

Centre-Silencer Removal - More noise, more flatspot, but the noise outweighs the flatspot. No doubt I'd do it again, well worth £60.

K-Tec 200 Cell Sports-Cat - I didn't ever plan to fit/buy one of these but it came up at a very good price. I figure that it must be more free-flowing than the OEM part although research from various people has shown the OEM part to be very efficient anyway. Hard to say what effect it had on perfomance on it's own as it was fitted at the same time as the rest of the system. It keeps everything legal and the emissions are no worse than before fitting, hard to say wether on it's own it'd be worth (new) £300.

K-Tec (Magnex) Cat-Back System - Not much needs to be said that hasn't already been said. It's another modification that enhances the overall package of the Clio. When fitted with the 200 Cell Sports-Cat it eased the flatspot almost completley and definately helped the engine right through the rev-range. Well worth it in my opinion and although you can no longer get this particular variant, the current ones should be just as good and are around £450.

Chassis;

HEL Brake Hoses - As a matter of course I always uprate these on my cars. Never had an issue, very well made and perfect fitment. I'd say it's worth fititng them to refresh the old rubber items but apart from a slightly firmer pedal (could also be down to fresh fluid) you'll be hard pushed to feel any real difference on the road. Don't buy these expecting for a night and day difference but if you enjoy trackdays or hard-driving then you'll get more feel and they're not bank-bursting at around £55.

Clio 197 Cup Dampers - Fitted with the H&Rs and they work brilliantly together. This was a night and day difference over my original FF setup. I think they're a part which should be replaced after 4/5 years anyway to keep everything as it should be. I would definately fit these again and with the H&Rs they form a very good and very stable setup without burtsting the bank. These are made by KYB and cost me £200.

H&R -30mm/-40mm Springs - Hard to say what they did on their own as they were put with Cup Dampers from the off and weren't tried with my original FF ones. As above, they work very well indeed with the 197 Cup Dampers but I cannot comment on how they work with anything else. This setup is a lot stiffer than the 197 FF setup so I would say this is something you should try before you buy if possible. Suspension is a very individual thing and not everyone will have the same idea of what is comfy and what is harsh etc.., but to me these are well worth £185.

Bodywork;

De-Badged - Horses for courses, makes her bum look even chunkier which I like. Cost me £0.

Last edited:
Mod list

None

I've been into all the modding lark before! Once you pop you just can't stop before you know it your thousands of pounds down the drain!

Other than tyres and cleaning products my car will be staying "out of the box" fresh, the reason I bought it!!