manifold removal.

I swear ive seen this somewhere but can't find the thread about it.

What needs to be done to get this off? Im a competent chap just want a heads up before I tackle it lol.

Subframe off then it's pretty simple. The subframe isn't even the worse job in the world with the lack of PS pipes. What's it coming off for?

Subframe off then it's pretty simple. The subframe isn't even the worse job in the world with the lack of PS pipes. What's it coming off for?

Ah that's okay then. I have new engine mounts to fit too as when on track when coming on the power after changing gear I could feel something move and hear it in the revs.

Going to swap it for a decatted version then that's it until I decide the route I want to take. :smile:

Budget for a remap, trust me the flatspot is unbearable!

Thought you were selling up for an R26.R

So did I! Finance didn't work out so I've got the clio. Im gonna hunt for an R26.R next year but for a ly one and yeah Im going to budget for a map haha.

If I had one mate i'd stick in storage and leave it for 30 years. Think of the profit you could make out of a fleet of them!

If I had one mate i'd stick in storage and leave it for 30 years. Think of the profit you could make out of a fleet of them!

I know someone has got to be sitting on one with all the options and like delivery milage! Will be worth a fortune in 10/15 years! When we all drive renault twizzy or whatever the electric car is lol.

The decat manifold is inconclusive IMO. No real top end gains and not sure about the torque gains either. I think like most of us who have fitted cams, we are scratching around to source something else and more gains when the reality is thats our lot. Remap, manifold and labour = 500 quid for nowt but but extra pop and bangs....

Last edited:
The decat manifold is inconclusive. No real top end gains and not sure about the torque gains either. I think like most of us who have fitted cams, we are scratching around to source something else and more gains when the reality is thats our lot. Remap, manifold and labour = 500 quid for nowt but but extra pop and bangs....

Im doing it myself to save the labour. I am scratching my head but seeing people that have done it they do get good mid range gains and will set it up ready for super charging :smile: where I'll run a sports cat or put the original cat back in.

Im doing it myself to save the labour. I am scratching my head but seeing people that have done it they do get good mid range gains and will set it up ready for super charging :smile: where I'll run a sports cat or put the original cat back in.

They got gains but I believe had gains to get. The closer you get to the limits, the lesser and harder it is to get anything. You could quite easily see loses. 210+NA is good going. The step change from there is thousands. You'll have to lose the cams for the charger too....Mikes would not run with them....

The decat manifold is inconclusive IMO. No real top end gains and not sure about the torque gains either. I think like most of us who have fitted cams, we are scratching around to source something else and more gains when the reality is thats our lot. Remap, manifold and labour = 500 quid for nowt but but extra pop and bangs....

said this elsewhere, but I'll repeat myself. if a flat-spot becomes obvious after a mod like this, then it's fairly logical that there's a performance advantage. The "flat" non-responsive part of the rev range is seeing increased efficiency, so needs more fuel (in this case) to produce the power potentially available. fuel and air requirements are directly power linked, more power uses more fuel. If you need more fuel, you're making more power

any removal of a restriction from an exhaust is a good one providing the freed up engine is supplied with the correct adjusts for it to work...

just remember these engines are set up to meet euro4 emission standards whilst at the same time able to develope plenty of top end power for a n/a engine = 100hp @3500rpm approx and 200hp @7000rpm approx

most on here are just "experimenting" with what might or might not work but if you try to stick to the basics = easy in/easy out then you have certain options that MUST be done ie cat removal

most of the power gains from these engines are the mapping/electronics - which unfortunately most of us cannot do as a diy option these days...

They got gains but I believe had gains to get. The closer you get to the limits, the lesser and harder it is to get anything. You could quite easily see loses. 210+NA is good going. The step change from there is thousands. You'll have to lose the cams for the charger too....Mikes would not run with them....

Mike is getting his cams put in soon so hopefully I won't need to lose them. Im interested to see what the decat can do for me :worried: will be a few months whilst I sort out getting another manifold decatted and then attempt the job! Lol.

it seems that every clio is so different but on mine the pre cat removal gave me huge gains mid range with regards to a car where gains are generally minimal,(14ftlb at at one point just over 4000rpm and 1.5bhp peak power),i also have no flat spot what so ever now but cold starts are slightly back,no where near as bad as a standard car though,for 30 secs on a morning the car just feels a bit stop starty,no kangarooing,i also must mention on mine anyway,peak power is now at 7600rpm which is 200rpm higher than before,the pops and cracks though are awesome,every gear without fail,slightly childish i know but who cares!!!

it seems that every clio is so different but on mine the pre cat removal gave me huge gains mid range with regards to a car where gains are generally minimal,(14ftlb at at one point just over 4000rpm and 1.5bhp peak power),i also have no flat spot what so ever now but cold starts are slightly back,no where near as bad as a standard car though,for 30 secs on a morning the car just feels a bit stop starty,no kangarooing,i also must mention on mine anyway,peak power is now at 7600rpm which is 200rpm higher than before,the pops and cracks though are awesome,every gear without fail,slightly childish i know but who cares!!!

Aren't ARP bolts recommended when raising the rev limit?

Aren't ARP bolts recommended when raising the rev limit?

most mappers raise the limit to 7700rpm on a remap after cams anyway so i'm guessing the engine can take it,don't think RS Tuning would do this if it had the potential to cause damage