LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Here we go, here is the text from the ECU:

"
This direct replacement engine management system for the Renault Sport Megane 225and controls all the standard parameters using the cars original CAN-BUS system – these features kit allows the original air conditioning, alternator, engine cranking and instrument pack. The ESP warning system also works in the original manner. The package comprises an SC Tornado ECU and an interface harness to connect to the original Renault ECU connector, for use in the original car.
The kit includes a Tornado ECU, adapter harness and CAN-USB interface.

"

So yeah if 2 + 2 = 4 then I think this ECU will just snap straight into the Clio harness and work?!?!

Here we go, here is the text from the ECU:

"
This direct replacement engine management system for the Renault Sport Megane 225and controls all the standard parameters using the cars original CAN-BUS system – these features kit allows the original air conditioning, alternator, engine cranking and instrument pack. The ESP warning system also works in the original manner. The package comprises an SC Tornado ECU and an interface harness to connect to the original Renault ECU connector, for use in the original car.
The kit includes a Tornado ECU, adapter harness and CAN-USB interface.

"

So yeah if 2 + 2 = 4 then I think this ECU will just snap straight into the Clio harness and work?!?!

How much are they?

I've seen the SC tornado but what you're describing above is exactly what put me off.

hello £1200 for something with just a 10 sentence story and no reviews what so ever....

I've just spent most of this morning reading your thread. What an epic build this is exactly what i want to do with my engine! ( have a 197 engine and box for my 182 track clio )

Amazing car mate and an amazing spec i bet it flys!

Cheers dude, it goes ok I guess, could always be better :w00t:

I believe the F4R83x conversion into the mk2 is a ball ache though, there's a chap over on cliosport.net who decided to instead use the 73x block so it still mates to the JC5 g'box. He then used the 83x top end and infact used 83x crank and internals inside the 73x block. He's actually gone full R3 230cv spec on those bits so be interesting to see what it makes, also mk2 can run Gen90 so proper 3d live mapping is no issue.
You need to add an idler pulley on the 83x head and maybe something with the oilways too. But it works and means no g'box or driveshaft stuff to mess with.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/breaking-cover.772072/

Hello mate, I've got another question for you! (I thought i'd post it on here for future reference).

Basically I got caught short at the petrol pump is morning the car didn't want to start on this cold morning thanks to my tiny race battery, I also noticed you have an Odyssey as well but a different model to mine.

I've got the pc680 which has a cold cranking amp of 170, yours pc950 has 400 and for reference a standard Halfords battery has 500. Quite a difference!!

Soo my question is long story short, how are you finding yours in colder conditions and all year round?

Ah man **** news, but makes me glad I went for the bigger one :tongueout:

So mines been perfect. I work from home so sometimes I don't use the car for almost a week, and sometimes the ony use it gets in a week is just a couple of short trips to do the school runs - both of those scenarios are of course the worst for a battery. Also mine being higher CR puts a bit more strain on the cranking, though in practice how much difference it actually makes I couldn't quantify!!

The main advantage over outright CCA's, is the 34Ah capacity it has vs. the 16Ah the PC680 has. My concern with such a small reserve and my usage patterns meant the smaller wasn't an option really.

I have been comparing the two specs on the website this morning lol. Mine is probably about 90% reliable come the winter but for a daily I use to get to work that isn't good enough lol.
I think I'll have to save my pennies and get the slightly bigger one :sleep:.

Yeah I agonised for ages over which to get and looked at all the Ody's and Varleys etc, felt the PC950 was the one to go for :thumbup1:

Standard exhaust manifold decatted, 2nd decat, yozzasport system.
I had the EC1 yes and I believe you are correct it was an SC under the skin. VVT had to be deleted as I went forged high comp pistons with custom deep valve pockets to accommodate very aggressive cams ( The two up from 402s can't remember now! ) and the excessive lift would have put too much stress on the dephaser.

At this state of tune it actually drove better once them VVT was deleted as the power delivery was silky smooth and the ITBs could make up the lost midrange.

Car ran like a dream from the day it left TDF to the day I sold it. God I miss her :worried:

Any link to your build thread pal I would like to see this? Thanks :smile:

Well booked in now for developement of a P'n'P standalone (SC Tornado 2), provisionally w/c 12th Oct - just subject to getting the R3 Maxi injectors in time. Also going to run a colder plug (NGK BKR8EIX), seeing as I've gone up 1 full point in CR it makes sense.

Not sure if I'll find any peak power doing this, but part throttle using TPS based mapping will now be super smooth and of course bigger cams (404's) and ITB's can be easily added later.

interesting...looking forward to the comprehensive write up and feeback :thumbsup:

Yeah not long to wait too, as long as I can get the injectors in time :smile:

This will be ditching the oe ecu completely? Staying fbw or are you going to fit a cable throttle?

Yep this is a full replacement ECU integrated with the cars CAN network so retaining all the dash and aircon etc. There will be a short harness which goes from the 3 Sagem plugs to the SC ECU plug - no physical changes to the cars loom will be made. It is highly likely the current Megane offering will work, but by SC taking the car in they can of course ensure everything is perfect and then offer this out to the market as a product - so I'm doing the Mk3 community a favour :wink:

I am at this stage opting to keep the DBW TB, this is because really to idle properly with a single TB on a plenum -using a cable setup -you want an idle control valve. This means having additional wiring out from the harness to the ICV, not to mention of course faffing with the ICV install. Then the ph1 cable TB which actually requires the bolt pattern re-drilling on the manifold,,, so way easier to keep DBW.

Hats off mate for sticking to your original plans. Well done, looking forward to the results.

Yiannis, yes sticking with it!! Already in discussion with having an ITB kit developed and then after that I'm thinking head and lairy cams. I've ruled out solid lifters unless I can convince someone to fabricate a new cam cover and cam bearing setup (i.e something allowing easy access to check the lash on the solid setup without having to re-time the whole top end every time!). Apparently Sodemo did this on their 320bhp engines - I will investigate!
I want 200bhp/tonne though and with out resorting to stripping, book weight is 1240kg, with the crazy light exhaust manifold and lighter system, plus when all the various kg's saved in rods, pistons and flywheel etc I rekon I'll be 1200ish so means I'll need 240bhp. 'when' the Recaro Apex go in, I'd be confident of being sub 1200kg then.

Bloody hell rich you are pouring some money into this. Will be interested to see her when she's done. Good luck!

Bloody hell rich you are pouring some money into this. Will be interested to see her when she's done. Good luck!

You know what it's like mate :wink: how is your Rallye as it happens? I saw my old one was up for sale earlier in the year - did think about it but it had some damage on the front which was a shame. Talking of old school -I just the other day read JP's thread, christ he's gone full retard on that thing!! I'm pretty sure it was him I sold him my old Jenveys to, but they arn't on the car. Looks like he went straight from the curved GMC setup to an SB special!

Just found an old pic of my :st:!!

DSC_2074.jpg

Hate to say it but it was every bit as good as the Clio! Sure it was too slow but easily fixed having a Duratec. Sold it for a derv Golf as was taking on a big commute back then, otherwise it would probably be the Fez with some kind of forged SBD engine now, and not the Clio :lol:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0