LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Hello mate, yes literally cleaning rubber marks off the paint today from Combe! :smile:

Due to the noise issues that day shifting up at 6k isn't really viable for doing anymore, so I was talking exhausts with a shop today and could be ordering another tomorrow. Hoping it'll release the power I lost and quieten the bloody thing down at the same time.
Yours was pretty bloody loud to be fair, so I'm not quite sure how mine must have been when giving it the full beans! What have you done to yours? I know it was pretty spartan on the inside.

Cheers

It tests at 100 at 1/2 revs, I normally get told to quieten it down at lunch time, so I shove the bung in.

Nothing mega, engine is bone stock 150k lump, with a smoking and drinking habit. It's got a manifold and exhaust, intake is stock, coilovers, usual brake upgrades, bias and diff. 195/50/15 AD08's - which have been average at best. Probably making about 190hp on a cool day. Rear seats have been removed and the boot emptied but all other trim in place.

The engine needs a refresh or at least a head build over the winter. A combination of Combe and Llandow on the Saturday before it smoked 5 litres of oil out the exhaust! Synchro's are getting hard work now so will look at rebuilding that with some shorter ratios.

Im looking to install a cage at some point as its getting quick enough to hurt when I run out of talent.

What tyres were you running? You had a lot of grip. What power is it? Will the exhaust make much difference?

5 ltrs, feck that's thirsty! Sounds like it'll be a weapon then when you get those bits done.

I was on road tyres, Conti 5's up front and Conti 3's on the rear. I have a set of AD08R's but because Combe doesn't have any garages and it was slightly wet!!! I left them at home. The Clio does generate a lot of grip though, even though it's road tyres and stock suspension, it corners and grips well. Great balance too with being able to play with the rear - which is why I've tackled everything else before the suspension.

Power is 215bhp, it should be 225bhp. It's been a bit of a story with the power and getting it to where it is. When the car came back from the engine build it had 2bhp more than stock :worried: Obviously something wasn't right so I took the sports cat out and put a centre silencer in (you can imagine how loud it was!), that made it worse, it dropped 10bhp by doing that. So at that point I was down to 185bhp and 8bhp LESS than stock.
Anyway I then fixed the induction setup, had somewhere map it that actually knows what they're doing and now it's 215. So I feel that if the exhaust was decent when it went for mapping I would have hopefully come away with the 220 maybe 225 that the cams I have in should run to.

Though shifting up at 6k meant I had about 185bhp for the day :lol2: Well until I went on at 4:30 knowing it was my last session and gave it death :smiley:

IMAG0349-800x600.jpg

Haha [MENTION=38628]TB Rich[/MENTION]

Was just browsing through old intros and came across yours.

Direct quote from it:

Currently it's completely standard but I have a hankering for an Akra, bit difficult justifying over a grand on an exhaust mind

I lold.

Haha [MENTION=38628]TB Rich[/MENTION]

Was just browsing through old intros and came across yours.

Direct quote from it:

I lold.
Lol, something went a bit wrong between now and then!!

Incidentally the Akra is being fitted tomorrow with a before and after RR. Knowing my luck it'll screw the fuelling and I'll get less power!
Making progress on a standalone though so not the end of the world if it does.

No drone (even with the manifold) and sounds great. Really nice noise and not too loud, you'll be pleased.

A 'communication' error meant they didn't RR the car before though, so I have no idea if I'm running any extra power from it. Annoying as they got the work because they were able to supply, RR and fit so saved me a lot of hassel going around the houses to get all the bits done. They did a great job on TIG'ing the centre to fit the manifold though which is the main thing, just means I need to go back to Surrey RR for a new result as they seam to broadly read similar to RST's so it's about as best comparison I'm able to get now :|

Well it's designed to use the 200 diffuser, but I'm sure I've seen someone modify it to fit a 197. Just cut the extensions slightly I believe, should be on here if you do a search though.

Glad your pleased with the akra, money well spent! (If it frees up some bhp also, fingers crossed)

Im hoping they are going to do one for the edc!

Nice one Rich, you can't go wrong with the Akrapovic really. It's not just the craftsmanship, the sound is just right.

Okay. I'll let you know what mine gets when it's done. I think I need to get a 200 bumper valance to fit my 197?

Well it's designed to use the 200 diffuser, but I'm sure I've seen someone modify it to fit a 197. Just cut the extensions slightly I believe, should be on here if you do a search though.

Yeap, as Rich said, just chop the akra ends and fit some 197 tips. They would need some modification though to get the angle right.

14587308602_571765f281_b.jpgDSC05769_resize by YiannisR27, on Flickr

14401374728_b16b2cbc8a_b.jpgUntitled by YiannisR27, on Flickr

please tell us more regarding this mate :smile:

SC Tornado 2, now it's a bit of me doing 2+2 and hoping it = 4. But my logic is.....

There is a plug n play kit with the SC Tornado 2 ECU on the Megane 225 (note the Megane uses the same Sagem 3000 ECU), and people who do a Meg conversion in a Clio use the Meg ECU. Apart from needing to mess with the immobiliser it literally plugs in and works - that's the dash, the engine, everything.
So...this must mean the Clio and it's functions are coded with the same CAN ID's as the Meg and therefore the SC ECU with Meg CAN file must work on the Clio as well?!

Will need fitting (should be a 10 min job) and then mapping. Can't decide if I will go straight to a cable throttle or retain DBW. Seems some contention as to the legality on the road of aftermarket DBW systems because of lack of type approval. Will require further research on that.

I'm going to have to ring SC I think to confirm that the Meg kit does infact power everything and there are no issues with dials and functions etc. However they do a Twingo kit which runs everything, so I've no reason to doubt the Meg kit won't and therefore should be suitable on the Clio. So far though they've ignored me twice over email so if there was another option I would go for it frankly, really pisses me off companies don't respond to emails.

Thanks for that. Does the 200 valance fit the 197? I'd imagine it's easier just to change it?

Believe it's a straight swap, certianly seen enough 197's with a 200 diffuser so it's possible.

Keep the info/updates coming Rich, this will be very interesting.

Thanks for that. Does the 200 valance fit the 197? I'd imagine it's easier just to change it?

I massively prefer the 197 diffuser but as Rich said it's a straight swap. 200 diffuser requires the end funnels though.

I couldn't agree more about not responding to emails! Slightly off topic, but I just googled the SC Tornado, to see how much they are, and the post you have just done is already the top of Google search! Amazing how quick that happens!

I know a guy who's maybe thinking about being an SC dealer and so I've planted the seed to use my car for trial and test, for a cut price of course!! Fingers crossed.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0