LY Racer Turbo 310bhp....but more to come soon

I might be getting use to it but doesn't feel like 300+. RR is spot on though. I still think the conversions evolving and I'm learning all the time with it. 350 is a huge step up from where we are at mo. Standard RS250 with St1 Map can see 307 - 314 bhp. I'm not sure how much of that is VVT?

You and me both love to do our own research and do some digging! And the vvt subject is no different lol! Since we spoke, Ive spoken to several people now who tell me that vvt only counts for a bit in the mid range and not so much peak power, and isnt much to worry about. This makes sense to be honest if you think of the general logic of what it does, as t/boddied cars dont loose power and vvt isnt about peak power if you think of how it acts NA, thats not its purpose. Ben R1 didnt loose power from having vvt delete. To be honest your figures are about bang on, you were held back by the fueling. With a map you will def increase, then your next hurdle is the turbo as the meg 250's with 350/60 are running hybrids. And as we know, no engine is the same or makes the same power, but your figures for example are within the range. Interesting stuff when you start to look at it in depth.

You and me both love to do our own research and do some digging! And the vvt subject is no different lol! Since we spoke, Ive spoken to several people now who tell me that vvt only counts for a bit in the mid range and not so much peak power, and isnt much to worry about. This makes sense to be honest if you think of the general logic of what it does, as t/boddied cars dont loose power and vvt isnt about peak power if you think of how it acts NA, thats not its purpose. Ben R1 didnt loose power from having vvt delete. To be honest your figures are about bang on, you were held back by the fueling. With a map you will def increase, then your next hurdle is the turbo as the meg 250's with 350/60 are running hybrids. And as we know, no engine is the same or makes the same power, but your figures for example are within the range. Interesting stuff when you start to look at it in depth.

I make you kind of right, and has SteC says with the best will in the world, its not simply a 250 engine in a Clio. Its still very much a Clio\Meg 250\225 accumulative sum of parts.

Just food for thought really.....

I'm growing more and more jealous of all those conversions, may have to sink my savings into it next year!
Looks stunning, I can only imagine how quick that must be at 300bhp, how much has the 250 route cost you vs supercharging?
Btw, where did you get the 200 seat covers from? My standards are worn and the 200's look so nice.

Its the same engine from when it was supercharged bud, its a forged 197 engine. Just with a meg 250 inlet and throttle body. Overall the turbo route is more efficient, easy to drive and faster, and starting from scratch would be cheaper.

I brought the recaro trims off a forum member 4 years ago, as he got them in leather immediately. Just never got round to fitting as the car was always in/out of the garage and i didnt want them ruined. The 200 ones really do freshen the car up inside.

Its the same engine from when it was supercharged bud, its a forged 197 engine. Just with a meg 250 inlet and throttle body. Overall the turbo route is more efficient, easy to drive and faster, and starting from scratch would be cheaper.

I brought the recaro trims off a forum member 4 years ago, as he got them in leather immediately. Just never got round to fitting as the car was always in/out of the garage and i didnt want them ruined. The 200 ones really do freshen the car up inside.
Oo you went forged 197, interesting and it would be handy to not have to deal with selling my engine. Could you pm me a parts list if you get a chance and who did it? Might enquire and forge the engine first and turbo later.
Glad your happy with the car again, I know you were getting frustrated with the SC and everything that went with it.
Ah bugger, I spoke to capital seating before but they wanted more than edge retrim for the covers, looks like that's the route I'll have to take!

I'll tell you what i can remember buddy lol!

I know i have 1mm oversized pistons and my compression ratio is 10.5 from memory, might be lower if i have a thicker gasket, but either way it isnt a million miles off meg comp ratio. I have catcam valves + springs. Different bearing etc. Jamsport built it, but I'd go somehwere else that is more renault. I wasnt that happy with them to be honest. In all fairness the engine build has been great but unfortunately the rest hasnt been good quality and also a bit on the pricey side. After i did it, i then found i could of easliy saved 1-1.5k going elsewhere. If you forge do the lot mate, low compression NA will be a dog, and in the long run cost more labour.

If i was to forge it again Id go for differnt pistons and rods, I'd use what shakey hand man has, his are listed in his thread. Turbo is a meg 225 hybrid, 250 inlet manifold because the ports are bigger and a direct fit and 250 throttle body, R26 ECU, and various other parts like sensors etc. But to be honest im not the man to asnswer this stuff lol!

The limiting factor on the car now is the turbo, but to be honest im not going for a bigger one as i dont think you need it, unless you do what shakey did and utilise the bigger turbo for a smoother power curve right across the board. But thats a lot of money as you need a differnt manifild, easy 2.5k there in parts.

I'll tell you what i can remember buddy lol!

I know i have 1mm oversized pistons and my compression ratio is 10.5 from memory, might be lower if i have a thicker gasket, but either way it isnt a million miles off meg comp ratio. I have catcam valves + springs. Different bearing etc. Jamsport built it, but I'd go somehwere else that is more renault. I wasnt that happy with them to be honest. In all fairness the engine build has been great but unfortunately the rest hasnt been good quality and also a bit on the pricey side. After i did it, i then found i could of easliy saved 1-1.5k going elsewhere. If you forge do the lot mate, low compression NA will be a dog, and in the long run cost more labour.

If i was to forge it again Id go for differnt pistons and rods, I'd use what shakey hand man has, his are listed in his thread. Turbo is a meg 225 hybrid, 250 inlet manifold because the ports are bigger and a direct fit and 250 throttle body, R26 ECU, and various other parts like sensors etc. But to be honest im not the man to asnswer this stuff lol!

The limiting factor on the car now is the turbo, but to be honest im not going for a bigger one as i dont think you need it, unless you do what shakey did and utilise the bigger turbo for a smoother power curve right across the board. But thats a lot of money as you need a differnt manifild, easy 2.5k there in parts.

Dont know mike, just reading about hybrid 250 turbo around £1300 made 350 bhp with 1.6 bar on standard intercooler!!! Standard Car made 20bhp without a map. If my cars here next year, thats its next mod.

Is that the one from RS tuning mate? They offer the same one for the 225's etc which mates me think they are all the same, so think mine might be as well? Could be worng, to be honest just gonna have to see what it makes when ste has it back lol

Is that the one from RS tuning mate? They offer the same one for the 225's etc which mates me think they are all the same, so think mine might be as well? Could be worng, to be honest just gonna have to see what it makes when ste has it back lol

Not sure mate, was reading a 250 project build on a dutch forum.

Theres more to go mate definatly! Im convinced mine will see 350 ish at 1.6 bar. I think yours will get 330 mapped with your new pump. This is all fascinating stuff, really enjoying learning all about these turbo setups, and for a relatively small turbo there really powerful! You need ste's cooler kit bud :smile:

Theres more to go mate definatly! Im convinced mine will see 350 ish at 1.6 bar. I think yours will get 330 mapped with your new pump. This is all fascinating stuff, really enjoying learning all about these turbo setups, and for a relatively small turbo there really powerful! You need ste's cooler kit bud :smile:

Nah, kits cool (excuse the pun) but too much work to fit under my set up, and I'm too tight to pay the £600 quid for it lol....I love equally reading stuff and thats how I came across the Meg 225, with the 250 engine in Spain which inspired me to get SteC to take the project on over 2 years ago. I look to stuff thats been done especially on the Meg sites. They've always had FI since 2005\6 so there's lots of tried and tested stuff I've learnt. These conversions are only 2+ years in.

I'm hoping to see 330 bhp but think its gonna need a different turbo in order to get me there. The problem then will be can I justify the expense for the gain.

I wanna move out mate, thats the only reason. The money is tied up in the car, I would keep it if I could :worried: