Lightweight flywheel sound

Onrus

Paid Member
Hey guys,
Anyone running a lightweight flywheel notice a different sound coming from the car when coasting? It’s like a scraping sound. I’ve read on the megane 3’s they sound like a tractor so just want to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I have one on a 230 lump. Sounds like a bearing has gone on idle. When pressing the clutch the noise dissapears. Worse when hot.

Mines a NA Clio but the sound is weird. Not as bad as the megane but you can hear something

Thing with the Megane, is they’re a dual mass flywheel. So noises after going to smf is completely normal. My old car with smf was horrific.... sounded like a diesel van.

Not entirely sure if the Clio should be any different to the standard flywheel tbh - but I’ve no experience with them

I’m unsure of what the sound is. My mechanics say it’s fine. Could it be the quif? Do they sound any different to the stock diff?

If it’s a chattering noise on coasting, it’s probably the box going to be needing a refresh soon.
Or potentially the diff hasn’t been shimmed properly

Mines very noisy. Can hear it in the car!

Box has been rebuilt 11 months ago. That’s when I fitted the quife and ttv flywheel. Everything feels fine, I’ve only started noticing it now because it’s cold so windows are up when driving. It’s not chattering it’s more like ssssssccccccc type of sound

I start to have a whine sound after taking one kerb bit hard at one of the track day. it comes once I load then disappears. also it stays when I'm on cruise control. didn't bother as the car is still running good!

Bru that’s similar to mine. I had the sound but since my last track day it’s been louder. Car still pulls fine

I'm not sure if a thicker trans. oil will reduce the sound at your case. However, you will need to warm it up properly as it's winter at your place if I'm not mistaken.

my case, I have been told different possibilities. either the Diff (running Quaif) or the flywheel! I'm discarding the second due to as I said previously, the car is running good and gears and engaging smoothly!

The gearbox feels fine, I’m running elf nfp and all shifts are really good. I’ll just get used to the sound as the car still feels strong. From what I’ve read the quife shouldn’t make a sound as it’s a geared diff not plated

For the time being Yes.

As it's summer here in Dubai, the car is doing fine and not much of drive :grin:

plans before the next track season will be to open up the gearbox and check the pinion and crown wheel clearance of the Diff to see if it unsettled when I had a hard impact with a curb or not. The other item will be also to check the drive shaft for peace of mind

If I have to open my box up again I’ll be fitting a shorter final drive so that’ll sort one of those two things

The noise you're hearing is gear backlash caused by less inertia from the lightened flywheel. Mine is much louder than it was before I changed mine.
I had a lightweight flywheel fitted, a Blackline diff, 4.73:1 CWP from an 021 box along with 1-3 ratios from an 031 to replace my 003 ratios.

Thanks Dave. My mechanic confirmed that on Friday. How did you find the 4.73 final drive? Did it make a big difference in acceleration?

Now there's a question. As an Automotive Engineer of some years, the normal discipline is to change one thing at a time in order to quantify the effect. Unfortunately when you've got a gearbox apart, it's not really economic to do that so all I did was find a decent webpage where you can type in variables such as gear ratios, tyre sizes and revs etc which then calculated speed for a given point. Mine was from a Subaru page but still brilliantly effective at allowing me to decide at leisure what I was really looking for.
So what I have now is 1-3 from a late 200 and 4-6 from my earlyish 197 which gives me a box of the shortest ratios possible. What's that's done is given me a 1-3 roughly equivalent of fitting a Gripper 5.0:1 to a 197 (003) box.
As for driving it, the thing rips through the first three gears now so fast it's amazing. It's made quite a difference I must say but then I have fitted three things at once!
However, the payback is a short 6th which makes motorway driving a little tiresome.
For the cost (I paid 150 for the 021 box), I'd say definitely do it If you're looking to run in competitions. I'm really glad I didn't go for the Gripper at £900 because that would have probably been too much for road use.