Lightweight flywheel sound

Like you say it’s cheaper to fit more parts at once especially if you’re like me and have to pay someone to do it. I’ve thought about a gripper final drive but probably to aggressive as I daily the car.

The noise you're hearing is gear backlash caused by less inertia from the lightened flywheel. Mine is much louder than it was before I changed mine.
I had a lightweight flywheel fitted, a Blackline diff, 4.73:1 CWP from an 021 box along with 1-3 ratios from an 031 to replace my 003 ratios.

@Dave W how to fix that?

Unfortunately there's no way to fix it other than replacing your standard flywheel. Renault will have spent a good deal of money and time in analysis techniques and then design verification tests to confirm that've gone as light as they can for performance and fuel economy on the existing part without compromising NVH and reliability - bearing in mind engines are normally designed around a ten year life cycle.

Hey guys,
Anyone running a lightweight flywheel notice a different sound coming from the car when coasting? It’s like a scraping sound. I’ve read on the megane 3’s they sound like a tractor so just want to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Have you got a video of this noise??

You can’t hear it on a video. It’s not loud it’s just one of the many sounds the Clio makes

You can’t hear it on a video. It’s not loud it’s just one of the many sounds the Clio makes
Mine chatters intermittently on idle, only when cold. Same setup as the other chap in the thread, LSD (VAL Racing), 4.73 FD from a 021 Scenic box. TTV flywheel and standard clutch.

I don’t get any sounds on idle. When coasting or coming back on throttle I get a sound and the higher the rpm when speeding up the less I hear it. I’ve got quife and ttv flywheel. Where did you get the scenic final drive? I really want one

Unfortunately there's no way to fix it other than replacing your standard flywheel. Renault will have spent a good deal of money and time in analysis techniques and then design verification tests to confirm that've gone as light as they can for performance and fuel economy on the existing part without compromising NVH and reliability - bearing in mind engines are normally designed around a ten year life cycle.

I guess it's a cute pain we have to endure then. Thanks for coming back to my question @Dave W :grin:

For the final drive, you need to find a TL4 gearbox with the following designations; 019 / 021 / 029 / 031/ 042. They all have a 15/71 CWP = 4.73:1.
They're on various sites for sale.

Reactions: Onrus