New 200 - gearbox noise normal?

tchalikias

Paid Member
Hello all,

a few days ago I got myself a brand new Clio RS 200.

I find the driving experience incredible.

However, I have a question about a noise (I know, I know, these are Renaults, they make all sorts of noises... but I digress since this is a new car).

This is a noise that can most clearly be heard when engine breaking, meaning decelerating with the car in gear.

This happens on every gear and is noticeable only with the window down, from the driver's side of the car (LHD model). The noise can best be heard when driving along a narrow street with walls on either side.

Releasing the gas produces a sort of metallic rattle/whine (can't describe it any better) that goes away when you put the car in neutral or simply depress the clutch.

I know most gearboxes produce a sound when braking in gear, but this sounds slightly more... exotic??

I paid attention to the noise and sometimes it is audible when accelerating in gear, too (1st-2nd).

Now most people can't hear it or simply dismiss it. I asked my dealer and he said that these 6 speed boxes are quite noisy in general.

As I said, the noise is audible in all gears. Gearchange is perfect and mostly, silent - sometimes changing from 1st to 2nd with low rpms produces a slight rattly noise, but my other Renault has been doing this since new too.

So... should I be concerned? Is this normal? Could it be something harmless, like a heat shield close to the transmission that rattles when its under load? Or something similar?

Thanks in advance!

I would have put it down to the exhaust resonating under engine breaking. My 197 has an after market exhaust on it, but it did the same on the original system. Accelerating or decelerating between 2 and 4000 revs always gave a sort of hollow, metallic rattle.

I wouldn't say its anything to worry about in fairness. Something you just get used to.

yeah i just think its the engine acoustics mate. same happens to my 197 if i lift off the gas fast after heavy acceleration. nothing to worry about

After a lot of observation, I think indeed its some form of resonating metal, either in the drivetrain or the exhaust that becomes apparent when the car is under load.

Another owner from Greece reported the exact same noise from new on a local forum... So I guess I'll just have to check that the noise doesn't get worse over time. :wink:

P.S. The momentary 'rattle' I described in my original post when changing from 1st to 2nd at low rpm is, I think, the same noise.

hi, the noise you are explaining i would definitely say gearbox. my 200 makes exact same noise. i would describe it as a chattering whining type noise when engine breaking. when i press the clutch the noise goes away so def gearbox. in my experience i've found a lot of modern car's suffer from this. i personally think it is due to manufacturers not putting as much preload onto the gears to create less transmission drag which in turn brings better power,emisions and fuel economy. i was a bit concerned at first but i have now put it down to just a characteristic of the car and got used to it. i hope this helps and puts your mind at rest knowing your not alone.

hi, the noise you are explaining i would definitely say gearbox. my 200 makes exact same noise. i would describe it as a chattering whining type noise when engine breaking. when i press the clutch the noise goes away so def gearbox. in my experience i've found a lot of modern car's suffer from this. i personally think it is due to manufacturers not putting as much preload onto the gears to create less transmission drag which in turn brings better power,emisions and fuel economy. i was a bit concerned at first but i have now put it down to just a characteristic of the car and got used to it. i hope this helps and puts your mind at rest knowing your not alone.

less to do with pre-load.....more to do with the thin transmission oils they use to reduce drag

the 197 gearbox does seem to suffer from noise and i think its more to do with the diff - mines does it if your on the over-run - a classic sign of diff with the wrond back-lash !

Mine makes a strange noise on over run too. It's difficult to describe it. It isn't very noticable but has all the characterists of the gearbox, as it goes away with the clutch etc. I don't know if it sounds like anything I can give an exaple of!

If you prounouce a K like a child does so like kuh rather than kay and breath it out rather than actually speaking! Lol! All try it, go on! Ha ha!

Has anyone else got this noise? Or is your's different?

Yep its a sort of metallic hum that depending on the environment can also sound like a rattle of sorts.. The 'kuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh' description is pretty apt methinks...

Yep its a sort of metallic hum that depending on the environment can also sound like a rattle of sorts.. The 'kuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh' description is pretty apt methinks...

In time you will find out that the 197/200 makes all kinds of noises that are 90% nothing serious..You do well to investigate but don't worry too much or you'll miss the fun.:thumbup: (Καλωσήρθες)

Oh, I know about Renaults and noises - I was a Megane II owner :tongueout:

But you know what they say.. better safe than sorry! :wink:

Καλώς σας βρήκα!

Yep, mine does exactly the same too!

Also if i mount my camera the gearbox has quite a whine, coupled with the "kkkkrrrrrrsssshhhh" noise it makes it almost sounds like a crash box and has confused a few people :smiley:

I have a brand new clio 200 cup ( i will make a presentation 8) ) and make the exact same sond that you are discribing. When i push clutch the sond goes away, or if i put some gas, so the gearbox is loaded the sound goeas away to... You all say that this is normal, bit i have a feeling that some day the gearbox will just explode. The sound is very disturbing. Is it possible that isn't enough oil in gearbox or is this realy normal?

yeah it probably will ManIAK lol ive already had a new gearbox under warrenty

Ok, I probably overreacted, but i dont like the noise... :angry:

So, does your new gearbox sond any better than the old one, or it has the same ratle sound?

well my old gearbox used to clunk everytime i changed gear and was often hard to get from 1st to 2nd

took it in and explained and after a huge battle of them saying it was a worn clutch they agreed to change the box and now ive got an aftermarket clutch on it makes no noise at all.

renault put a new gearbox in under warranty mate, i changed the clutch to a "black diamond" cus it was infact worn